Felix acting odd and hurt....has he been injured???

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night was reaaaaly cold compared to lately. I could see my breath but not so cold I couldnt be comfortable in shorts and t-shirt. I have my cat carrier on the deck...felix and the other cats like to sleep in it(odd how they hate it during the vet trip
). Everyday Felix is somewhere sleeping or hunting...(yes he is fixed). I looked everywhere worried last night since he didnt come and eat. Finally around 2am, I decided to go to bed, but that I would check the cage on last time. There he was. I reached in to pet him like usual, but he wouldnt come out. I took it inside and even tried turning it alittle downward to slide him out. Nothing. He finally came out on his own alittle while later. All he wanted to do is sleep. He layed by me and slept about an hour off and on. When I finally got him to eat, he gulped it down like he was afraid I'd take it or something. Today I was gonna take him to the vet. I woke up early and looked for him...he was nowhere around. He finally mysteriously appeared in cage again tonight and is there now. He walked out to come inside....he never meowed except when picked up...and I checked him for injures last night and tonight. I never felt any, but if I touch him on the side he lays down. Tonight I noticed a place on him left side where it looks like hes been licking his fur. All I can figure is he got hit, fell, or someone threw something at him (I live next to a paylake-my neighber doesnt like them catching fish at night). I never know where he is during the day and he comes back at night for food....he doesnt seem as hungry now and seems like he doesnt feel good cause all he wants to do is lay down and sleep. He still loves to be pet and scratched around face and purrs alot. I cant take him to the vet tommorow because they are closed...What do you think this is???Is he hurt?What could it be?What will the vet do? Am I just paranoid? I just need to know what it could be..Im really worried and cant do nothing untill first thing monday morning....Recap(sorry I know was long):eats and drinks, justs wants to lay down and sleep,wont come out of cage,has a place on fur that looks licked(no external signs),walks normal,lays down if messed with. Oh and his balls got ripped open a few months ago and I had to fix him...could a animal or dog hurt him??? Thanks for your help...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shots...oh god..no he doesnt have them all....
I didnt even think of that possibility! What is your suspicion?

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His lack of energy. Just seems that is my first symptom when I'm ill. As long as he is eating and drinking he should be ok until Monday.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope u are right...all I can guess is he got injured or is sick...and I dont really know what to look up as symptoms to even figure anything out. I just hope he'll be ok untill monday...I guess just in case I better not pick him up if he's hurt...is there a way to tell internal injuries or poisoning in a cat? Does this sound at all familiar?

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he had been poisined he would be vomiting, injured he would lash out in pain or at least yowl. Just leave him to be quiet and calm and let the vet guide you as to what is wrong.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today he was meowing and sneezing. His tail kept twitching. He was walking very slow. He ate and drank fine. Does this give u any ideas as to what it is??? I've never seen him act this way. He was more alert watching other cats play today instead of laying down the whole time....I hope he's getting better...I just wish I knew if it was a cold,poisioning,injury or what.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bottom line to all of this is:

- get him to the Vet and have him checked out
- while he is there get him up to date on his shots

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldnt take him sunday because they were closed. They open at 8am and I got up at 7am to take him this morning, but he was gone. I walked all over the yard calling him...he never came out. Even when healthy he doesnt always come up to the deck for food in the mornings. He's fixed so I guess he stays out and hunts or sleeps. I havn't seen him all day either. I was gonna take him later...but I cant find him. He is always gone all day and comes back at night. That's y I was afraid someone at the stupid paylake had kicked him,poisoned him or something. I cant remember if I got him shots last time I was there. Im gonna check and get them if I havn't.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started Saturday afternoon as:

Sleepyness

occasional sneezing

wont leave his cage (he sleeps in the open cage on the deck)

Started out stiff when I pet behind ears as if he wasnt interested even though he purred, THEN sunday night he started to move his head enjoying the scratching more like normal and he walked slowly out of his cage wanting to be pet

Sunday night his nose started to run and was wet

Sunday night eyes BARELY watering starting

When he eats he sniffs the food alot before finally eating...as if he cant smell it....
That's all I've noticed. What does this sound like to you guys?? Untill I find him I cant take him to the vet, but for now I will feel better knowing what it could be...Im terriefied its something major that will make him have to be put down and result in all my cats being put down. I'm hoping I'm just being an overly paranoid mother...

mishon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please take this cat to the vet. If you know that he only comes back at night, and takes off during the day, then put him in the house as soon as he comes to the porch.

If you have family members that don't want him in the house, then put him in the carrier until morning, and then take him to the vet ASAP.

No one on the forum will be able to diagnose him sight unseen, and even a good guess at what's wrong with him may be way off, and won't really help him get better anyway. I know it can be scary when your animal is sick, and you want to know what you are dealing with before you go to the vet, but unfortunately that's not usually possible. Only the vet can tell you what's wrong with him, and how serious it may be.

Let us know what the vet says.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess what!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know why and I cant belive it....I'm still in shock!! I'm so HAPPPPPY, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up....
When it became dark, I went outside to see if Felix had came back and he came running up the stairs. He was acting VERY happy to see me..he wouldnt leave me alone untill I pet him...and I was more than happy to oblige
. He ate like crazy and was acting fine. No sneezing no weakness...nothing....it's almost as if he was never sick.....Im so thankfull...but alittle confused. Can cats get little sicknesses like this for a few days and be all better like we can??

I'm gonna moniter him tonight and tommorow and if he keeps acting fine I guess that means he's gonna be ok right?

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him to the vet and get his shots! He may have had a slight upper resp. infection. Get those shots asap as he could catch something from another cat and most illnesses will kill a unimunized cat.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna call the vet tommorow and find out what he has or doesnt has. I'm gonna get all of the ones he needs so I dont have to worry like this again. I was so afraid it was something that was fatal or something that would result in putting him and all mine to sleep like feline aids. Since he seems to be OK now, sorry I freaked...I just havnt had felix sick like this before. I blame myself when any of my cats cant get sick since I still havnt gotten money to move out and take them with me so they can be inside.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have other cats - the same applies to them.

- They need a check up
- They need to be brought up to date on their shots

It doesn't quite work if only Felix is covered and the rest are not. Yes, it is one step in the right direction but you need to take care of all equally!!

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know...I plan to eventually...as soon as I have the money saved up. Luckily they have all been healthy other than colds in the winter(pussey eyes)which I have always doctored.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your intentions for the rest of the cats are admirable but and I quote from your own web site:

"If u are unable to provide proper care, find a home that can"

It might be hard but - maybe it's time!!!

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and if u looked at my site u also know I have around 30 cats. You add up the vaccination price total. I make sure I ALWAYS take them to the vet no matter what they need when they are sick. I was gonna get shots too..but I cant catch them all....and lost my job not too long ago. The money I have I put a part aside for cat emergencies. The rest I need for gas and insurance on my truck so I can find a job. Once I have the money(job) I plan of getting the neccecary vacinations. I HAVE started to give them away...not because of me not being able to provide, but because I am moving. I cant take them all with me because I will be in the city finally and cant let them be outside to roam free. Most of these were ferals I tamed and I had 2 choices: tame and give away eventually, or let them be taken to the pound. They are very well fed and all are healthy. That's y I freaked over Felix having a cold. I'm not used to them being sick. You dont know the whole situation and I know u must think Im a horrible cat person and dont deserve to have any cats...your not the first to make this assumption. No wonder! This is the internet and there is just so much a person can know about another person. Just know I have given my cats everything. Anytime they are sick or injured they go to the vet. The only thing they havnt gotten is shots. I dont want you to misunderstand me...and if u want more details or to talk more about this, PM me so this thread doesnt get all emotional,personal and closed. Thanks.