Feline Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome or CDS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

james r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our little Lippy is gone!

Needless to say this has taken a heavy tole on us and we are devastated. She died Jan 11th this year (2008). This happened while we were on vacation which makes this hurt even more painful.

We boardered her for her own safety and our piece of mind, this was the second time using this facility as the first time went perfectly. Before leaving her we briefed the care givers on her history again, what to watch for and what to do. If in any doubt they knew how to reach us at any time. We didn't know anything was wrong until we received a phone call telling us that they (care givers and Vet) put our little Lippy to sleep!!!!!!

This was the first indication that something was very wrong! The owner of the boarding facility said that Lippy was found in the morning, in an unresponsive state and took her to the Vet (not our regular Vet, they have left the island) who had never seen Lippy, had no knowledge of her history and diagnosed her as probably having had a Stroke and wouldn't recover. They took it upon themselves without consulting us, to put her to sleep. They were wrong doing this without consulting us. Had they spoken with us, we would have asked them to observe her for 2-3 hours and speak with again after this period. Chances are, she would have come out of it. There is a possibility she did have a Stroke and they did the most humane thing but we have seen her like this over the years numerous times and it usually took from a half hour to several hours to come around. And she always did! What hurts so bad is the feeling that she was having one of her episodes which she would normally recover from, they didn't understand what was going on and they put her to sleep!

Here it is 3 months later and it still hurts so much. I don't know if this hurt will ever go away. Lippy wasn't in the best of health, we try to use this to console each other and try to justify what has happened. I write this with hope that it somehow will ease the pain, sofar nothing else has worked. I am sorry to lay this on all of you associated with this forum. James.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what a terrible thing!
you're right, she's happy & healthy now... but you are bereft.
for Lippy...
& for you & your family.

james r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

She was a very happy little soul even though I am not sure she understood happiness, why he was feeling the way she did but she definitely felt it and displayed it. Seeing her run to greet her mum coming home from work was a joy to behold, I will never forget our time with her.

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry no one called you before hand to ask about before they did that. And I feel for you on losing a special one.

It is nice to know that others have "special" babies. We have one that is like a Down' Syndom baby(spelling),, very sweet in temper but not quite all there. Dakota was found with ants all over him in a muddy ditch. At 18 months he had a grandma seizure. Nowdays he is busy chasing our newest baby around the house.

hugs and prays for your family

james r

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Fluffee.

Lippy was entrusted to us for a short time. Now she is back with the father who sent her to us.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my. I'm so sorry for your loss.
That is so sad. But, you gave her a loving, caring home while she was with you. I hope remembering that may ease your pain a bit.

RIP, Lippy.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got chills reading this thread and the conclusion of Tippy's short life. I am very sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace, Tippy!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting at the office in tears after reading this thread. All I can think of is the very special place in heaven all of you with special kitties will go to someday, and be reunited with your babies. You hear of so much hate and evil in the world, but something like this reminds that there is an awful lot of love still around as well.