Feeling Helpless.....

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I walked outside a while ago to look at my green swimming pool (thanks to all the rain
) and my choc. Lab followed me out to the pool as usual. The next thing I hear is him walking strange on the deck - turn around and he's having another seizure.
I rushed inside to get my husband to give him his medicine and ran back out to sit with him. He looked so sad, & pathetic and I felt so helpless.
I can't stand to see him like this. Our son (5 yrs old) came out to help comfort him and he whispers to him, "It's ok Guido. Me, you, mom & dad stick together like peanut butter and jelly." He's such a soft hearted boy.
Made me cry even more.

I just don't know what to do with poor Guido. He had a cancerous tumor removed last summer and we were told that they couldn't get all of it so it will grow back.
Then having epilepsy (sp?), he just breaks my heart. I know that the time is nearing that we will have to put him down but I just don't want to think about it. How will I explain this to our son? Guido was there to great us when we brought him home from the hospital. Those 2 are attached at the hip, Guido is like his big brother - he keeps him out of trouble and away from danger. This is killing me. I can't stand to see him like this but right now, the vet has told us that we should have about 6 months to a year left with him.

I'm trying to enjoy our time with him but at the same time prepare myself mentally for the future. This is not just a dog to us, my husband and I call him our first born.

Well, I've done enough yapping...just needed to let it out. Thanks for listening.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is hard to know that the end is near for a beloved pet. I know with Kenai we struggled for months denying what was right in front of us all the time. In the mornings she was frisky as a pup by noon she was limping and at night she could barely move. We had her for ten years we DID NOT want to put her to sleep, couldn't see our life without her in it, but when we did take her in, the vets all acknowledged it was time and one thanked us for ending it for her peacefully rather than have her suffer any longer.

I know it is a hard decision, but as my vet tells me from time to time, if it was you in the animal's place, what would you want your caregiver to do?

I wish you strength and wisdom to make the decision in the right timing

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catherine my heart goes out to you sincerely. I'm sitting here just imagining the torture you're going through.

Does Guido have any medicine for his seizures? If he has 6 months to a year then can his seizures be controlled somehow in the interim?

When I was told my cat had 2 weeks to live, he lasted a month, I can not express in words the emptiness and pain and heartache and sadness and whatever I felt.

I can only say I'm here for you if you want to talk through PM's. I will pray for strength and comfort for you all.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Catherine, I am so sorry to hear that.
It is truly hard no matter how much you tell yourself that you'll be ready to face what is inevitable. I am sure your son knows it but as kids go, they're amazing how they hide it. Again, some
vibes for you, Guido and your son.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you are feeling. Our German Shepard Soul was twelve years old when we had her put to sleep January of this year. It wasn't easy at all and is never an easy decision to make. My thoughts are with Guido and your family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he's on medication. It's supposed to be given 2x day everyday but if we do that, his liver will fail. So, we give it to him "when needed" - vet adviced. When we see that he is having or has had a seizure, we put him on it for about a month 2x day then wean him off and he's usually ok for 2-3 months.

I hate seeing him have a seizure but that's not the worse part. It's the cancer that I know will get him.

It's just so hard, I love that big lug!
I can't even imagine telling my son.......his grandmother just passed away from cancer too. We haven't told him that Guido has cancer, just epilepsy.

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mary Ann, Yayi, Cheryl & Sam -

Thank you so much for your concern, support and good vibes. It is greatly appreciated.

You guys are great!

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister just went through this with her beloved dog. Their 10 year old yellow lab mix had very bad hip displaysia, and had very little control over her hind quarters. It was all she could do to get up and walk to another room. All the dog wanted was to be with her people, and it just about killed all of us to hear her whimpering on another room because the people had left her alone.

They knew last September that they would have to make that decision within the year, so they just loved her a lot, would lie on the floor with her, rub her, tell her she was a good girl, and give her treats. They were all saying goodbye in their own way, and then, without telling anyone in the rest of the family, had her put down one day. (the kids knew, I mean I didn't, or our dad, or brother).

She can't even mention the dog without crying, but she knows that they did the right thing, and they had the time to gather memories and say goodbye. And they did the right thing, before the dog really suffered. It leaves a gaping hole in their family, but they are all surviving. Except when pet commercials come on tv. But crying is healthy too.

You'll know, and the time you have now is precious, so enjoy every minute.

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Guido is 6 yrs old and I do have pictures but I have no clue as to how to post pictures.
You would not believe the size of him, he's HUGE! Our son used to ride him!
My husband is 6'3" and when Gudio stands on his rear legs, they stare eye to eye!

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts are with you, Catherine.
Guido sounds like a great dog... I'm sorry you have to experience that.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Catherine, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't add anything to what's been said, except to say you have my prayers that you'll have more time rather than less, that Guido will let you know when it's time, that you will find the words to tell your son, that you will find the strength to do what you need to do when you need to do it, and that in the meantime you may feel some peace and enjoy the time you do have. Peace.

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have my heart as long as you need. Enjoy what you have now and know that you will make the right decision when the time comes~

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catherine

Guido is 6 yrs old and I do have pictures but I have no clue as to how to post pictures.
You would not believe the size of him, he's HUGE! Our son used to ride him!
My husband is 6'3" and when Gudio stands on his rear legs, they stare eye to eye!
If you have a scanner I'll walk you through it. Or if you get any pictures developed onto a disk that can be put in your computer.....I can walk you through that as well. If you want to PM me I'll give you my address and you can send me a copy or original of Guido's pictures and I'll post them for you!

Tell me what you think cause I'd love to see him!!!!!

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your dog. It is so hard, seem like they should live forever doesn't it. I had an old one that had Cushing's and he kept getting worse and it pulls at your heartstrings that's for sure.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that this is happening to your sweet Guido. Have you thought about getting another dog, while Guido is still with you, so that your son could bond with it? It might make the loss of Guido easier on him. Also, it might not hurt to start preparing your son now, for the fact that Guido might have to leave you all to join the other puppies and kitties at the Rainbow Bridge. I don't mean come out and tell him directly that Guido is very sick and may not be around much longer, but maybe gently let him know that doggies sometimes have to leave the family they love.

Guido is very young, I wish there was some way to cure him of the cancer, though. He sounds like a wonderful boy.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catherine, I think we all feel your sadness. Letting go is so very very hard, but I learned, when I had to put my two 17 year old dogs down in 2000, that the old saying, "it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" is so true.....I know I did the right thing for them, but it was still the hardest thing I've ever done. Know that we are all here for you!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and your son and dog are going through this. How difficult.

I want you to know that when Guido is having a seizure, he has no awareness of his surroundings. I think your son should not get real close until the seizure is over. I think it might be possible for him to be bitten if Guido's jaws are clenching. And let him know that while Guido cannot hear or understand during the seizure, he can offer comfort afterwards.

Best of luck to your family and kids, both furry and non-furry!

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

If you have a scanner I'll walk you through it. Or if you get any pictures developed onto a disk that can be put in your computer.....I can walk you through that as well. If you want to PM me I'll give you my address and you can send me a copy or original of Guido's pictures and I'll post them for you!

Tell me what you think cause I'd love to see him!!!!!
Thanks Cheryl but Ashley had offered the same thing last night in a PM and I just sent one to her to post for me.
It's not the best photo in the world, as I was telling her, I'm a photographer but NONE of my photos are in albums!
I have boxes upon boxes of photos. I'm going to continue digging and hopefully will be able to find one that's good. The one that I sent to Ashley had been lamenated - my son had to make a collage of his "family" and after turning it in the teacher lamenated it.

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for your support.

ckblv - It's true, it would be wonderful if he and all animals could live forever.

Hope - We've kicked the thought of adding a puppy to our home around but I've decided against it. I just don't want Guido to be stressed out or feel left out during the transition. And you know how kids are.....I'm afraid that my son will pay way too much attention to the puppy or new dog and hurt Guido's feelings. We are researching different breeds and have decided we will always have a large breed dog.
I'm also pretty blunt when I have to explain things to Graham. We're going to start preparing him shortly so he can start asking questions and begin to understand.

Susie - You're right. I couldn't imaginethe past 6 yrs without him. My husband worked offshore when I got him for his birthday but he ended upbeing "my" dog.
He always slept with me and just has great instincts. Stangers could come up and talk to me but if he felt I were uncomfortable with that person, he wouldn't let them near me. He's just wonderful. I know I'll get through - I think it makes us better people when we realize the time has come and we let them go peacefully.

Becki - Thanks for your concern and advice. We don't let Graham get near his head. We make him stay near his rear quarters. I know he's unaware of things but to me he seems to snap out of it easier and quicker if we comfort him. I dunno, maybe it's just me?

Thanks again everyone for sharing your stories and giving your support.