feeding after Hair ball

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How soon after puking a hairball can I feed my ravenous cat? A big suggestion on the internet ,cat fanciers I think but maybe wrong ,says to remove all food and water for 12 hours. That seems so severe!

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How soon after puking a hairball can I feed my ravenous cat? A big suggestion on the internet ,cat fanciers I think but maybe wrong ,says to remove all food and water for 12 hours. That seems so severe!
My cat never observed a long time without food after puking a hairball. As a matter of fact, they always ate a few minutes after it, and they were fine. To be honest, I didn't know that I had to remove all food and water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave her some water and she did not keep that down. She seems a bit queezy and slept for a few hours after that and seems to just want to lay in the sun without begging for food like usual. She is not feeling well today.
Thing is..she is like a puppy..doesn't know when to stop eating. If I put out food she will gobble it all down in a minut! I think she is afraid of being deprived like in a time before adoption...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? How old she was when you got her? How long have you had her?

Being ravenous on food is something that feral or stray cats do when they come home where food is always available, but they are afraid to starve like they experienced in the past.
I had a cat like that, she took at least 4 years to understand that she wouldn't have starved again.

Anyway, I never heard of a cat being unwell for a long time after hacking a hair ball, in my experience, they get well and eat again in about 15 to 30 minutes. Are you sure isn't there anything else? Does she feel the same everytime she throws up a hairball?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of mine seemed in the least bothered by tossing a hairball. Walking around throw the hairball, go get a snack, come back and see if the people step on the squishy thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? How old she was when you got her? How long have you had her?

Being ravenous on food is something that feral or stray cats do when they come home where food is always available, but they are afraid to starve like they experienced in the past.
I had a cat like that, she took at least 4 years to understand that she wouldn't have starved again.

Anyway, I never heard of a cat being unwell for a long time after hacking a hair ball, in my experience, they get well and eat again in about 15 to 30 minutes. Are you sure isn't there anything else? Does she feel the same everytime she throws up a hairball?
I did blender mix her food and she ate some, but she is not her usual feisty self..rater lethargic today and lazing in the sun.
This is only her third hairball, but she did not seem slowed down by it.
She grooms an awful lot each day.
Is there something ,other than brushing every day, which will slow down the shedding? She just throws off that hair ,it seems.
The first time I took her to the vet there were hairs all in the air..it was beginning to look a lot like Christmas in there!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
usually graycie will puke a hair ball after eating her canned food. why i dont know thats just when it happens so i just make sure she has some dry food out to eat if she wants usually she will just take a nap for a few hours.i would assume a cat knows if it could eat or drink after kinda like a human we know if we are to nauseous to try eating