Favorite Litter Box Type?

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a huge relatively high sided plastic storage bin for our boys. They don't make much mess, so I'm happy.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't prefer any litter box over another. But my kitties do! I have several types around my house to fit each kitties preference. I think the most popular one though, is not even an official litter box. It's one of those long under the bed plastic boxes that I just took the lid off. I think they like it because they feel like they have more room in it. One of my kitties used to be a poop on the floor problem until I got this box. She would poop just outside the box. She hasn't done that since I got the long, under bed box!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer a hooded box with high sides in the kitchen. My cat only likes a hooded box if the litter is unscented. Currently, I am using a large litter box without the hood and it's now located in the livingroom.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both litter boxes are standard types. Felicia won't use a hooded box. Beau will use either hooded or standard.

I am considering buying a hooded box that fits in a corner. I use wheat litter and don't know if the sifter could be used.

One I wouldn't have is the mechanical one. Just be my luck the cats would be afraid of it.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuxedo --

I use the lift n' sift box and I don't seem to have problems with the weight of the litter while sifting. I use scoopable/clumping cat litter (that's what Summer was used to) and it works like a peach. FYI The sifting boxes are cheaper at walmart than petco or anywhere else. Hope I helped answer your question.

Lacey (Summer's Mom)

alisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a large hooded litter box for my kittens with a flap in the entry way (by petmate). My kittens love it and play in it (which i hate) but i think that has something to do with the fact that they are feral.
I was thinking of getting an electric litter box but that might scare them. Any advice about them?

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I selected "variety/other".

I have a BIG litter box. I had bought it back when I first got Comere (RB) because it's sturdy and HUGE. I've never found another one like it. It also had a hood, but I stopped using it when Comere was having "pee outside the box" problems.

I ALSO use shallow plastic storage box made by rubbermaid (I think). I have the litterbox in a spare closet, and the litterbox sits inside the shallow storage box. The shallow storage box is almost big enough that it takes up the whole closet floor... this way if there's any pee or poo that gets flung out or dribbled over the edge, it doesn't absorb into my closet floor.

I also use catbox liners.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a hi-side box and use silica-based crytal litter. It's a great combination, because it doesn't require a hooded box to contain odors - since there are NO odors!

weloveellie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 hooded boxes. In the future I plan on buying Littermaid. For those of you who own one, how good is it?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i'd never heard of Litterfree! i had to do a search for anything calling itself 'self-cleaning'! from what i've read, it'd be better to teach the cats to use the 'people' toilet!

i have 2 littermaids. i like them best of any i've had so far. i've used hooded, lift-n-sift, tried those shredded liners - these are the best. i occasionally (1x day) have to remove litter stuck to the tines. since my girls much prefer one box over the other (they're just alike!) i have to empty the collection receptacle about every other day on the preferred box. the other - i could go for months! i've learned to line the receptacle with a plastic shopping bag for easy removal & get more uses out of the little plastic bins.

vegansoprano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Big with relatively low sides. The low sides are mostly for Roger, who is disabled. He can climb just fine but if he's feeling lazy, he won't bother climbing and will just "go" right next to the box. So if I make his life easier, my life becomes easier too!

I tried covered boxes in high-traffic areas. Abner sprayed all over the cover. So the cover went in the trash.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a covered box, a covered box with low front entry and a top-entry box. I LOVE the top entry box!!! Bella slings a lotta dirt for such a little kitty, so the high sides are great - I only have to sweep once a week instead of daily
And the fact that I only paid $6 for it at Goodwill didn't hurt either! You could probably improvise one from a Rubbermaid tote, but I don't think the lid would be as sturdy, and it wouldn't have the litter mat top that this one does.
I paid quite a bit for the low entry box, which came with a flap. Bella wouldn't even go in it with the flap on, so I took it off, and unfortunately it doesn't contain the scatter as well, even though it has one of those grids inside the door that's supposed to take it off their paws.

starlie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love love LOVE the Booda Dome. Even my 11 pound fluff ball can fit in it! I love that it's round, which makes it easier to clean (IMO). And since it has a unique look, a lot of people don't even notice it's a litter box.

luckyirish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Puppy loves her Littermaid...always freshly raked! Mommy loves it too .... very easy upkeep!

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have three litter boxes two dome litter boxes however I think the boys are getting a bit large for them. Gandalf is around 12 to 13lbs and Samwise is 11 to 12 lbs so they're not super huge but they are big boys. I just recently bought a regular litter box and even it seems a little small so next I'm gonna try one of those rubbermaid boxes and see if they have an easier time with it.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by starlie

I love love LOVE the Booda Dome. Even my 11 pound fluff ball can fit in it! I love that it's round, which makes it easier to clean (IMO). And since it has a unique look, a lot of people don't even notice it's a litter box.
I've always wanted to get one but I wondered how big it was... Max is about 13 pounds now, possibly a bit more...

I voted hooded because we have two boxes - 1 Tidy Cats hooded box and 1 plain open litter box... while the Tidy Cats could probably be a bit better, it's definitely a million times better than the open box. And I can't wait til we move in a month and can move and buy a new box and then I don't have to step on litter in the bathroom!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
two high sided extra large and one regular... Kandie has used the hooded kind but at her size and age it sint an option.. a large framed girl who at right wt is 13.5-14 lbs... Zoey it seems will go anywhere in anything with litter..

starlie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

I've always wanted to get one but I wondered how big it was... Max is about 13 pounds now, possibly a bit more...

I voted hooded because we have two boxes - 1 Tidy Cats hooded box and 1 plain open litter box... while the Tidy Cats could probably be a bit better, it's definitely a million times better than the open box. And I can't wait til we move in a month and can move and buy a new box and then I don't have to step on litter in the bathroom!
Your cat will definitely be able to fit in there. Because of the circular design, the box is actually a lot bigger and deeper than a standard hooded box. There are two types, the standard Booda Dome and one with stairs. I have both types, and my heaviest cat (18 lbs) can fit just fine in the one with the stairs.

Original Booda Dome

Booda Dome with stairs

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my kids wont use the hooded ones. I wish they would as they kick litter out everywhere