Favorite Family Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
7-Layer Dip

Canned refried beans (cooked and cooled)
Salsa
Guacamole
Cheddar Cheese
sliced olives
chopped green onions
Sour Cream

Layer ingredients as listed in order in round baking pan. Serve with tortilla chips (warmed in the oven) Makes a great party dip!

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coconut Fruit Dip (low fat - delicious!)
Great for brunch or parties.

1 can (8 oz) crushed unsweetened pineapple, undrained
3/4 c. skim milk
1/2 c. nonfat sour cream
1 pkg. (3.4 oz) instant coconut cream pudding mix
Fresh pineapple, grapes, strawberries, or other fresh fruit

In a blender, combine the first four ingredeints; cover and process for 1 minute or until smooth. Serve with fruit. Store in refrigerator.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate Raspberry Cake

1 chocolate cake mix with pudding
1 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate morsels divided
1 can red raspberry pie filling
1 8oz carton sour cream

Prepare cake mix according to directions. Stir in one cup chocolate morsels. Spoon batter into 2 greased & floured 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 25-30 minutes, or until wooden tooth pick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Place one cake on plate. Spread 1/3 c. of raspberry pie filling on top of cake, then top with second cake layer.

Melt remaining chocolate morsels in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring often. Remove melted chocolate from heat, and gradually stir in sour cream. Spread frosting on top of cake. Spread desired amount of remaining raspberry pie filling on top of frosted cake. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick Pizza Snacks (kids love 'em! - perfect for parties)

1 8oz can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1/2 c. prepared pizza sauce
4 oz. (1 C.) shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 375. Remove dough from can in rolled sections; do not unroll. Cut each roll into 12 slices; place cut side down, 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Spon about 1 teaspoon sauce on top of each slice; sprinkle cheese over sauce. Return to oven; bake 3 - 5 additional minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve warm. Yields 24 snacks.*

*Variations - combine cheese with 1/3 c. chopped salami or pepperoni before sprinkling over sauce - bake as directed.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut Butter Balls (sinfully delicious - great for Christmas!)

2 lbs. confectioner's sugar
2 c. peanut butter
2 sticks melted butter

Mix, chill, roll into balls. Dip in melted chocolate*

*Melt 4 cups chocolate chips & 1/2 block parrafin wax over low heat, stirring often.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 boxed chocolate cake mix
1 small box instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1 1/3 c. water
1 1/2 c. oil (safflower or canola preferred)
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix together first five ingredients. Beat well for two minutes. Fold in chocolate chips* Pour into greased & floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Cool for 15 minutes. Invert cake to serving plate. Keep covered.

*hint - to keep chocolate chips from sinking to top of cake pan, toss with some dry cake mix (set aside) or flour before stirring into cake batter.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Penuche Frosting (heavenly!)

1 c. packed light brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 c. milk
2 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted (to remove lumps)

Place brown sugar and butter in a medium sized, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until well combined, 2 minutes. Carefully pour in the milk, stirring, and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.

Place confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl. Pour the hot brown sugar mixture over the confectioners' sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the frosting is smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes.

Use immediately (while still warm) to frost cake of your choice. If frosting hardens, simply place pan back over low heat and stir until soft.

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've got a couple so I'm going to post them seperately..

Flower Cake:

Chocolate cake, prepackaged or from mix baked in a square pan.
crumbled Oreo cookies OR green coconut
gumdrops
White frosting
green food coloring.
Lady fingers
toothpicks

1) Place cake on plate for serving. 2)Ice sides of cake with white icing. 3)mix white icing with green food coloring and ice top of cake. 4)Place ladyfingers vertically all around cake making a "fence" 5)Sprinkle Oreo pieces(or coconut) generously on top of cake. 6) cut gumdrops in half, then make two small cuts at square edge forming a "flower". 7)Poke rounded end of gumdrop with toothpick then insert toothpick into top of cake.

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuna "stuff" (You ladies on the cookbook committee are more than welcome to make up a kitty name for it)

2 6 oz can of tuna in water
1 can condensed celery soup
1 stalk of celery
1 tbsp of butter
1/4 small onion
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste.

1) Sautee celery and onion with butter in medium saucepan. 2)Add tuna(including water) and soup. 3) Add seasonings. 4) Simmer over low/medium heat until slightly reduced stirring frequently. 5)Serve or noodles or rice.

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know a killer recipe for vegetarian fried rice, but I got it out of a cookbook, and am assuming it would be copyright infringement...I'm going to get the recipe for my grandmothers 7-up cake the next time I talk to her...that is to die for!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Freezer Pickles

These are sweet and really crunchy. I like them with barbecue or sloppy joes. Also, a friend told me this is the same brine that is used to make sweet chinese pickles, using thinly sliced carrot and radish. I haven't tried it, but it may be an interesting twist to the recipe.

4 cups unpeeled cucumber slices, cut paper thin (The thinner, the better. You can use pickle cucumbers or regular cucumbers)
Water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar

Arrange cucumbers in large crockery or glas mixing bowl (don't use metal or plastic). Measure out enough water to cover them, combine it with the salt and add to bowl. Soak at room temperature for 2 hours.

Drain cucumbers, but don't rinse. Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Pour over cucumbers and lightly mix. Place cucumbers and brine in clean freezer containers (if you use 2 or more small containers, divide brine evenly). Cover tightly and freeze-this is how they become crisp. Pickles will thaw in a couple of hours at room temperature and overnight in the fridge. Refrigerate any leftovers.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
Hey Fran, would that recipe work with Beef Tenderloin? It sounds delicious, but we only have Beef Tenderloin in the freezer right now.

I can now say with authority that it does work with beef tenderloin. I liked your idea so much that it was our Friday night dinner (other people have their special meal of the week on Sunday -- we do it on Friday) -- and Rob said "Well, you can do THAT again!"

22angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mom's Potato Soup...The yummiest homemade soup ever!

2 cups med White sauce (following)
1 cup cooked mashed potatoes
1 cup stock (potato water)
1/8tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp dried parsley

Combine mashed potatoes & stock. Add to white sauce which has been made with added seasonings in the top of a double boiler; heat, serve.

Medium White Sauce
2 tbsp fat (lard or margarine)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 tbsp flour
pepper

Melt fat in the top of a double boiler. Add flour and seasonings, & stir to a smooth paste. Add milk, a little at a time. Cook and stir constantly until smooth and thickened.

***Note: These two recipes are from a very old cookbook from the early 1900s if not earlier, which is why they are how they are. They were my great grandmother's recipes, and my mom often makes this soup in the winter. It is really yummy. Sometimes, she'll add onions
, and a lot of times for seasonings it is just salt and pepper. But it tastes good! And you can make it chunky or smooth, depending on your preference. Also good with lots of crackers!

Rickety Uncle (crumb cake)

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter/margarine
1 tsp vanilla

Rub together with fingers and press thinly and firmly into pan (a rectangle one works well). Bake 12-15 minutes until a golden brown. Cut into squares while warm (otherwise it just crumbles).

This is another one of great grandma's recipes, and it is very yummy too. Don't bake it too long, or it just turns out hard (good but hard! lol).

aries4460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:
1 pkg Cream Cheese Softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp real Lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup thawed Cool whip
1 Ready made Keebler Graham Cracker crust
I can Cherries

Directions:

Beat softened cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly. Add salt. blend in milk, lemon juice and vanilla until well mixed. Blend in cool Whip. Pour mixture in ready made graham cracker curst and top with Cherries and refrigerate for 3 hrs.

You can substitute different canned fruit such as strawberries or blueberries.

Number Of Servings:

Preparation Time:15 min

aries4460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom's Delicious Zucchini bread!

Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 cup sugar
1 cup oil
3 tsps vanilla
3 cup of grated unpeeled zucchini
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla. blend well. Stir in the zucchini. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Blend with the creamed mixture. fold in nuts. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr or until done ( toothpick comes out clean)

Also you can add raisins and chopped marichino cheeries.

Mkes 2 loaves

aries4460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Description:

Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 cup sugar
1 cup oil
3 tsps vanilla
3 cup of grated unpeeled zucchini
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla. blend well. Stir in the zucchini. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Blend with the creamed mixture. fold in nuts. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr or until done ( toothpick comes out clean)

Also you can add raisins and chopped marichino cheeries.

Mkes 2 loaves

aries4460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:
1 pkg Cream Cheese Softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp real Lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup thawed Cool whip
1 Ready made Keebler Graham Cracker crust
I can Cherries

Directions:
Beat softened cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly. Add salt. blend in milk, lemon juice and vanilla until well mixed. Blend in cool Whip. Pour mixture in ready made graham cracker curst and top with Cherries and refrigerate for 3 hrs.

You can substitute different canned fruit such as strawberries or blueberries.

aries4460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
2 cups Milk
3 egg yolks
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 ripe bananas
50 Vanilla Wafers3 Egg Whites
1/4 cup Sugar

Directions:

1.Mix sugar,flour, and salt in a saucepan.
2. Slowly add milk, stirring until smooth.
3.Heat to full boil over medium high heat. Stirring constantly.
4. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 15 minutes more stirring
occasionally.
5. Beat egg yolks in bowl. Add a little of the milk mixture to the yolks and
stir.
6. Add yolks to milk mixture gradually. Cook 5 minutes more
7. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Butter bottom of 1 qt casserole dish and line the bottom of dish with 25
cookies. Top with 2 sliced bananas. Cover with cup of custard mixture.
Repeat layers, ending with custard.

Beat egg whites until stiff. Slowly add 1/4 cup sugar. Whip until peaks form.
Spread on top of pudding and bake in preheated oven 425 degree oven for
5 minutes or until delicate brown... Serve immdediately or chill for later.

Number Of Servings:

Preparation Time:less than 30 min

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vegetarian Fried Rice-I don't order Chinese anymore cause mine is better!

1 cup long grain rice(do NOT use instant or boil in bag)
1 cup water
2 heaping tbsp butter or margarine
1 1/2 tsp onion powder OR 1/4 small onion diced (do NOT use onion salt)
1 cup frozen vegetables(use your favorites)
1 egg(optional)
4-5 tbsp soy sauce (I recommend Lachoy, but whatever floats your boat)

Without Egg
1)Boil rice and water for 20 minutes under low medium heat keep covered. 2)Melt butter in frying pan under medium high heat, add onion. 3) add rice and vegetables 4) add soy sauce while turning with spatula until rice is light brown (amount of soy sauce will vary upon rice and soy sauce being used) 5) Keep on heat for 2-3 minutes turning constantly.

With Egg
Scramble egg without milk, add with rice and vegetables.

Status
Not open for further replies.