Falling apart

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like what has happened with the cats has triggered an episode of depression, I’ve had it in the past. And I feel as though my coping mechanisms are deserting me. I’m by no means in a black hole that I can’t get out of but I’ve completely lost the ability to find joy in things.
~ That actually does sound like a "black hole" — unfortunately. I hope you have a source of help. Do not let these feelings fester ‐ as they often become worse.
You are not alone. The same has happened to me recently. Losing long-time friends unexpectedly, getting older, dealing with my own health and my cat family, etc.
Stay safe and sane ... :hugs: 💕
1666962712781.png

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many positive thoughts in this thread already, but I just want to add this...

If you or anyone else reading this is feeling overwhelmed by depression, please consider seeking professional help.

I've been through my younger brother's alcoholism, his eventual death from it, and my own alcoholism/addiction, and it took me a very long time before I actually sought professional help. It was the best decision I ever made.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ That actually does sound like a "black hole" — unfortunately. I hope you have a source of help. Do not let these feelings fester ‐ as they often become worse.
You are not alone. The same has happened to me recently. Losing long-time friends unexpectedly, getting older, dealing with my own health and my cat family, etc.
Stay safe and sane ... :hugs: 💕
It does doesn’t it. And looking back to this time last week I was very much in a dark place. I’m by no means suddenly ok but I have spoken with various people around me over this past week and I have a strong support network. I know navigating this isn’t going to be a linear journey but today I’m in a much more positive frame of my mind and have been for a couple of days now. I hope to keep it that way but also know it’s going to be a rollercoaster. Thank you for your kind thoughts and good wishes, I send them to you in return as you deal with your own struggles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cmshap cmshap i wholeheartedly second this and am ever so sorry about the loss of your brother and your own struggles.

I had quite intense psychiatric help in my late teens early and early twenties because I didn’t leave the house for almost two years following a trauma that occurred in my early teens. It is a tool I wouldn’t hesitate to utilise again if I felt I needed it.

in fact I have dug into the archives of my brain to remember the things I learned back then as a way to help me through this time.

I think something I’d forgotten is to not suffer in silence. As well as posting here I’ve had a very open conversation with my family and husband all of whom didn’t realise I was struggling to the extent that I have been. Mental health issues have so much stigma and I think part of the reason I was reluctant to share with people how much I’m feeling is because ‘they are just cats’ and I never ever needed to worry about that from my family because they get it. I don’t know why I didn’t just speak up sooner. It’s surprising how much it helps to know that someone knows how you feel. For me it has made the load just that bit lighter.
And thank you for sharing your thoughts and your story, again, my deepest condolences, alcoholism is a cruel thing :hugs: