Facebook refuses to remove video of kitten being set on fire. Please sign petition.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I refuse to watch the video as well, saying something like that would haunt me for as long as I could possibly imagine.

I did post the info to my wall however, along with a facebook compliant links.

Honestly I was planning to email facebook, but then I decided to start sending emails to the corporate sponsors. For example, I shop at Overstock a lot so I'm always getting pop up ads on the side of the page. I went to their site, went to the corporate investors page, got the Board of Directors email, and went straight to them, and it would behoove their reputation to pressure Facebook, and the possibility of addressing it publicly.

Everyone gets different ads, obviously they're based on cookies where we normally shop - maybe if these online retailers start getting a backlash of consumers threatening to cease and desist further business transactions, and pressuring the companies to pressure Facebook - we can get somewhere.

I'm not stopping at Overstock, I get a lot of those ads on the side where I always shop. Lots of them will be receiving emails from me.

Once again, just an idea to end the horror. That really could be traumatizing for life to watch something like that. I could never.

caralian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly. It's like Anne says. Just those pictures in the article made me cry. It's a cat/animal lovers worst nightmare.

I do not have Facebook, but I can of course find out what kind of sponsors they have and just contact them anyway. When I get home I'll try to find a list and send some e-mails.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Admittedly, I can't even think about this because of the great anguish it causes me. 
  Sparing any details (please), do we know if the video is still up? My time is limited at the moment (at least until the weekend), but for now, I will offer a suggestion for you all.

Is there any way to get ahold of Howard Stern and his wife Beth and/or the North Shore Animal League where they are involved to help with this effort? They absolutely love cats. I believe they have six of their own and have fostered over 50 kittens since summer 2013, according to a recent blog post. Here are some links that may be helpful for contact:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BiancasFurryFriends/

https://www.facebook.com/theanimalleague

http://www.animalleague.org/events-...rn-help-save-animals-lives-2014-calendar.html

http://www.animalleague.org/events-news/celebrity-supporters/beth/beths-blog/

Just a thought...

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is still up, but like everyone else in this thread - I'm trying to stay removed from the actualy video because I'm sure seeing that would scar me for life.

I'm curious why no news outlets in the US are picking up on this, all the links seems to be from online news sources from the UK. I even googled a phrase yesterday that should have brought up hits, and nothing.

If we can confirm that this is still up, and get a link to it (possibly), maybe we (as a site) can send the link/info to the major news outlets in the states: MSNBC, CNN, Fox (:p), ASM home page, yahoo home page, others/ideas?

Possibly setting up a seperate page on this forum to petition this video, and include that all member that sign are planning to boycott the corporate sponsors of FB as well. These guys should be found and prosecuted.

@Anne, maybe since this is your site, and are likely familiar with the legalities of what can/can't be done online legally - plus you are articulate - what do you think of something like this, and maybe composing something for members to sign? To do something as a site, we could send out ASAP emergency emails to members (if you are comfortable with that) to get the petition signed ASAP so the link can be sent to various news outlets (with FB cc'd of course). Maybe it's over the top, but what was done to that poor kitten was inexcusable. I feel like contacting FB directly hasn't worked - negative publicity will likely force action. Something had to be done.

Pardon me if I'm crossing any boundaries... really trying to help. I posted the info to my wall and only one person had the cojones to share it.

caralian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really don't want to see the video, but if that were the only way to do it, I guess I would be willing to see the first two seconds or so, I could probably pause it. But here's the thing, I have no Facebook. I don't think I can see any content without being logged in and honestly, I really don't want a Facebook account (and after this, CERTAINLY not), as they would still be able (and allowed) to follow me through cookies on websites and such, and I've heard from my friend that it's almost impossible to actually delete your Facebook account, so I'd rather not do that.

We only need one person to find the video on Facebook (and of course not watch the whole thing, because it would have you visit a therapist for the rest of your life!) so we at least know where it's at and can send it to their sponsors and such.

If it were up to me, which -luckily for them- it's not, I would sentence these monsters to the same torture they put the poor thing through.

Last edited:

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Word. Only a monster would do that to any living creature, much less a helpless baby.

Animal abuse laws are picking up in the states, I'm wondering if this video was made in the UK? Is the UK starting to crack down an animal abusers?

I suppose I can ask some people at work to look for it. I only saw a couple of still shots and that was too much for me.

HOW HOW HOW can they say that contains no graphic violence? I don't know one person even willing to watch it.

Has anyone received replies from messages sent directly to facebook? I might as well send at least one directly to them, informing them of blowing the whistle to their sponsors / news outlets - even if I have to one by one.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if anyone can just sue Facebook over damage to their well-being caused by watching this. Maybe a mass lawsuit would help change their mind. 

I can't imagine how scarred for life this can make any cat lover. I just really honestly can't believe Facebook hasn't removed it. 
I am definitely along with all of you, scarred for life over this one and I didn't even (could not) watch that video but saw the pictures. My mind raced as to how much that baby suffered and I am mentally distraught over this to the point of even losing sleep. A lawsuit for mental anguish - absolutely... I am sure there are many of us dealing and suffering with this mental anguish.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Admittedly, I can't even think about this because of the great anguish it causes me. 

Sparing any details (please), do we know if the video is still up? My time is limited at the moment (at least until the weekend), but for now, I will offer a suggestion for you all.

Is there any way to get ahold of Howard Stern and his wife Beth and/or the North Shore Animal League where they are involved to help with this effort? They absolutely love cats. I believe they have six of their own and have fostered over 50 kittens since summer 2013, according to a recent blog post. Here are some links that may be helpful for contact:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BiancasFurryFriends/

https://www.facebook.com/theanimalleague

http://www.animalleague.org/events-news/press-center/beth-howard-stern-help-save-animals-lives-2014-calendar.html

http://www.animalleague.org/events-news/celebrity-supporters/beth/beths-blog/

Just a thought...
OMG HOWARD AND BETH STERN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR SURE, they would have great power to do something about FB.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a way we can go more to the source? Presumably this video was uploaded to Youtube before being posted to Facebook. If someone could find it on there and complain to Youtube to remove it, it would be unavailable to watch on any Facebook post containing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollyberry2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not know if the video is from the UK or usa or somewhere else .Does anyone know ? either way surely Facebook have the person / persons contact details ie name / address as i presume you have to register on Facebook ? + do the scum have any friends ? facebook should by law have an obligation to give there details to the police and the RSPCA !!! There should be some power over facebook to make them remove the video, Are facebook above the law its so crazy I cannot believe this is allowed to happen in a so called civilised society. I have read that you can't even show videos of breast feeding or kissing on Facebook as they will remove it !!!

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not know if the video is from the UK or usa or somewhere else .Does anyone know ? either way surely Facebook have the person / persons contact details ie name / address as i presume you have to register on Facebook ? + do the scum have any friends ? facebook should by law have an obligation to give there details to the police and the RSPCA !!! There should be some power over facebook to make them remove the video, Are facebook above the law its so crazy I cannot believe this is allowed to happen in a so called civilised society. I have read that you can't even show videos of breast feeding or kissing on Facebook as they will remove it !!!
Seriously - they will remove LGBT content, claiming it is offensive - when it is an act of love.

But burning kittens alive is ok? I'm not sure the laws on animal abuse in the states, but as I said they are cracking down - FB has to be somehow held as a second / third(?)  party accomplice by promoting this act of violence and cruelty against animals.

Alyssa, it's a good idea to go to the source (youtube) if the FB video links to youtube, but again I did a google search on this last night - even typing the words "burning kitten alive video" into a search enging turned my stomach and no hits came up except for articles from UK news sources. How is this not being reported on in the states? Kim Kardashian gets a haircut and it's a headline - where are the priorities? I think removing the video has to happen, but FB should really be exposed in the press for this. They say "any press is good press" but I don't think so in this case.

hollyberry2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not on Facebook and I don't want to be. ! !! Does anyone know anyone or any organisation more powerful than Facebook who we can contact.? I'm trying to email as many cat associated organisations as I can.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I think it is still up, but like everyone else in this thread - I'm trying to stay removed from the actualy video because I'm sure seeing that would scar me for life.

I'm curious why no news outlets in the US are picking up on this, all the links seems to be from online news sources from the UK. I even googled a phrase yesterday that should have brought up hits, and nothing.

If we can confirm that this is still up, and get a link to it (possibly), maybe we (as a site) can send the link/info to the major news outlets in the states: MSNBC, CNN, Fox (:p), ASM home page, yahoo home page, others/ideas?

Possibly setting up a seperate page on this forum to petition this video, and include that all member that sign are planning to boycott the corporate sponsors of FB as well. These guys should be found and prosecuted.

@Anne, maybe since this is your site, and are likely familiar with the legalities of what can/can't be done online legally - plus you are articulate - what do you think of something like this, and maybe composing something for members to sign? To do something as a site, we could send out ASAP emergency emails to members (if you are comfortable with that) to get the petition signed ASAP so the link can be sent to various news outlets (with FB cc'd of course). Maybe it's over the top, but what was done to that poor kitten was inexcusable. I feel like contacting FB directly hasn't worked - negative publicity will likely force action. Something had to be done.

Pardon me if I'm crossing any boundaries... really trying to help. I posted the info to my wall and only one person had the cojones to share it.
I couldn't find anything in the US media either. I have yet to see any proof that such a video was ever on Facebook and/or that Facebook refused to take it off. Just today a Facebook friend of mine said he wasn't able to upload a link about parts of bugs being found in food. Facebook gave him an automatic message saying this kind of content is inappropriate. Moreover, the video clearly showed someone violating the law, at least the US law and I think the law in every Western country. Again, I highly doubt Facebook wouldn't have removed it on that ground alone.

I would take action but only if I am convinced there's something to take action about. 
 Unfortunately, I think there's a very good chance the video is authentic, I just can't believe Facebook wouldn't be taking it down.

hollyberry2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just gone on line and googled BBC WATCHDOG and filled out a complaint form against Facebook and added all the details re the kitten .If more people also do this we may get somewhere.?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I checked Snopes. Nothing on the kitten issue, but I did find this, relating to the claim in the articles that Facebook had forced a vet to take down pictures of his amputation site. It's false, leading me to think whoever wrote this piece didn't do a very good job fact checking things - 

http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/amputees.asp

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I couldn't find anything in the US media either. I have yet to see any proof that such a video was ever on Facebook and/or that Facebook refused to take it off. Just today a Facebook friend of mine said he wasn't able to upload a link about parts of bugs being found in food. Facebook gave him an automatic message saying this kind of content is inappropriate. Moreover, the video clearly showed someone violating the law, at least the US law and I think the law in every Western country. Again, I highly doubt Facebook wouldn't have removed it on that ground alone.

I would take action but only if I am convinced there's something to take action about. 
 Unfortunately, I think there's a very good chance the video is authentic, I just can't believe Facebook wouldn't be taking it down.
I totally understand not wanting to take acton as as site unless someone can actually find that this exists. It's {can't find the right word} that everyone refuses to watch the video, so if it is floating around out there... none of us "really" want to find it, even though we want to make sure it's out there.

There are still shots that are bad enough - so it seems that the event happened, or it was very realistically staged as a promotional stunt by a couple of kids that wanted youtube hits (over a million I think, and you start getting $ from youtube) - maybe a story was leaked and a bunch of still shots were released and it was a stuffed toy? I'm being naive, but still have a hard time believing that someone could commit an act like that.

I also have a hard time believeing that facebook would not remove it, that the US news media has not picked up on it (they love reporting on FB atrocities), and that nothing is coming up on searches.

I never heard anything back from my corporate boycott threats.

Last edited:

hollyberry2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Anne Please take action if you can as surely the daily mail newspaper would not report on something and show images of something that isn't true,They quote that even after 14,000 complaints facebook refuse to remove.Could you Try emailing Facebook at [email protected] ?

hollyberry2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Facebook owner contact details ( Owns 24% of the company )

Mark Zuckerberg CEO

Email [email protected]
Telephone +1 650 543 4800
Website http://www.facebook.com
Personal Twitter @finkd
Social Media

Postal Address 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very odd, but I'm pretty sure if it got on Facebook it would have been removed by now, they dont want a fuss.  There WAS a video that started to play on my friend's phone (they play automatically, she can't stop that) so she quickly scrolled down below it so as not to see it.  I have no doubt someone did this, there are evil people out there. and when I first googled it there were several OTHERs as well listed, not necessarily on facebook.  I was horrified and got out of there.  I'm staying away from the whole issue now.  Let's hope the Buddha was right and it's really ALL ILLUSION (all this life we know) to teach our souls lessons.