Face Lesions but no idea why?!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are these supplements usually for humans?
It does not say that, but the only ingredient is 100% pure D-Mannose, so I can't imagine that it isn't equitable to human grade. Nonetheless, if you prefer to go with the Now brand, just ask V verna davies how much to give of the human form to a cat.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dosage is either one eighth of a teaspoon twice a day or one quarter once a day. I'm sure both brands are as good as each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only give the meds when my cat has a flare up of his UTI, usually after a week he is fine but other members give a maintenance dose of d mannose daily.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started giving Feeby D-Mannose in 3/2021, on a daily basis, after a series of UTIs. It wasn't until I backed off the D-Mannose to once a week or so that she ended up having another UTI. So, she is now on a daily dose that I don't intend to back off again!!!

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a very similar reaction to amoxicillin (not sure if Noroclav label specifically, but same thing). Facial lesions on cheeks, looking a lot like your photos. I did a full stop on that medication and now they're clearing up. If your vet is seeing a reaction and prescribing more of the same medication, it's time for a second opinion. All the best to your kitty!

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a very similar reaction to amoxicillin (not sure if Noroclav label specifically, but same thing). Facial lesions on cheeks, looking a lot like your photos. I did a full stop on that medication and now they're clearing up. If your vet is seeing a reaction and prescribing more of the same medication, it's time for a second opinion. All the best to your kitty!
I asked the question again when I sent her a picture of Bella yesterday and she said because she had the same medication only a few months back it can’t be Noroclav 🤷🏻‍♀️

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked the question again when I sent her a picture of Bella yesterday and she said because she had the same medication only a few months back it can’t be Noroclav 🤷🏻‍♀️
That was when she had it for 7 to 10 days and then stopped? For us, we did a full 18 days out of a 21-day prescription before the reaction showed up. And she also completely skipped the more common vomiting / gastrointestinal side-effects and went straight to the facial lesions.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, maybe so, or not. Remember what I said about different batches, and possibly a change in inert ingredients. Whatever, the main thing is to make a note of it and ask for another antibiotic when/if one is needed, just to be on the safe side.

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was when she had it for 7 to 10 days and then stopped? For us, we did a full 18 days out of a 21-day prescription before the reaction showed up. And she also completely skipped the more common vomiting / gastrointestinal side-effects and went straight to the facial lesions.
Yep that’s correct! Did your kitty need a cone? She is looking much better I just say the steroids must be working!

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, maybe so, or not. Remember what I said about different batches, and possibly a change in inert ingredients. Whatever, the main thing is to make a note of it and ask for another antibiotic when/if one is needed, just to be on the safe side.
100% I also asked for her entire medical history which they have sent as I might look at a different vet moving forward once this has cleared up

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
Just a little update, thank you so much for everyone who responded and tried to help with advice and experiences!
Here are some photos of Bella taken today and you can see what a difference the steroids have made! She’s going in for a check up next week so hopefully vet can let me know when it’s suitable to have the collar off!

Attachments

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah! Didn't notice you were also in the UK. Try the Chamomile tea - it works. My Kira has a flea allergy (we fostered a former neighbour's cat until he finds somewhere to live, despite him regularly treating his cat with Frontlne she still had fleas and you can guess what happened :rolleyes: ). Kira overgroomed and ended up with sores and bald patches. Tried the Chamomile tea and that really soothed her skin. The brand I got is Pukka and you can get it from ASDA. Watch as there are two types. One with Chamomile and something else and the plain Chamomile which is the one you want. I dabbed it on Kira with a cottonwool ball.

I do think you should go to another vet and get a second opinion and a skin scraping should be done. I wonder if she has picked up something while at the vets. That's not uncommon to happen, especially if that vet's hygiene standards have slipped.

Is your vet VK?

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah thank you about the camomile I read it on other threads but they were all American brands and didn’t want to pick the wrong U.K. version!
I’m not sure what VK means?