Face Lesions but no idea why?!

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I came across this site by accident whilst researching what on earth is happening to my cat!

she is 8 years old and she has never had any health issues at all, she’s an indoor cat and recently had an issue with urinating and it was cleared up with Loxicom (2021) it then came back in April 2022 and again cleared up with Loxicom to then returning again May 2022

She was prescribed Noroclav and it seemed to work and vet suggested to go for a scan to ensure no underlying health concerns, so off she went and it was horrific! I was told to take her down for 9am and she had to be starved too, nurse said around lunchtime she should be good to pick up I heard nothing at 3pm called up and they she still hasn’t been seen yet!! Mind you she an indoor cat doesn’t interact with other cats let alone other animals they reassured me that she was in the cattery but she’s never been in one before!!

She finally had her scan and I was called to pick her up as they said she wasn’t happy (clearly! I wouldn’t if I was somewhere unknown and starving - this was 6pm) she came home and was so just not herself but as the days went on she seemed to get back to normal

She finished her first course of Loxicom & Noroclav and I did a urine sample, it came back that the infection was still there and that she needed another batch of Noroclav and recommend she switched to a prescribed diet (she’s now on Hills Urinary Stress C/D wet and dry)

Not long after starting I notice these little wounds started to appear on her face and top of her head, you can see from the photos how it is escalating for the last 2 weeks!!! She looks like she’s been in a fight!

The vet has now prescribed her steroids and continued the noroclav (UTI infection has now gone) and I’m hoping the steroids are going to clear up these lesions but the vet has no idea why they have appeared and what’s causing it!!

She managed to scratch her using the plastic cone on more than one occasions so we switch to the soft collar and it’s been better but she has again managed to get to the scabs

I would love some advice on if there’s anymore that I can do that I’m not doing already, I clean the wounds with a cotton pad and warm water and she’s happy for me to that but how much longer does she need to endure this it’s so heartbreaking!!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Your poor baby! It would seem that she might be allergic to the antibiotic? If not that, then some other influencing factor like a food, litter, or household change might be the culprit. Hopefully, the steroid will help and soon she will be off the antibiotics. Then, it will be a matter of seeing if the new food could be the problem.

In the meantime, you can try a home remedy to help with those spots. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on those spots with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest should she do so.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Food allergies often present with itching around the face and head, so I'm really wondering if it might be the prescription food. Especially since you mentioned this started shortly after you switched up her food, right? Prior to this food, what were you feeding her? If you gave her a mix of wet and dry, I would try feeding her more wet and see what happens. Also, what were the results of the scan? I'm not sure I understand why she needs to be on a prescription food for simple UTIs, but perhaps they discovered something? Stress can definitely cause UTIs in cats, so those times when she did develop UTIs, did something happen in your household that might have stressed her out? Could be anything, including a bus stop right outside, a neighborhood cat hanging around outside, a new piece of furniture...pretty much any change! If we can figure out a stressor that caused these perhaps a change to prescription food isn't required, particularly if it's causing this skin issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for responding really appreciate it!
I thought the same as all the above:
  • She’s was on the same medication at the start of August and did either a 7 or 10 day course which the vet advised me to do a urine sample (21st August). Lesions started around 26th August so if it is the antibiotics surly these would have appeared earlier
  • The following day is when she started her prescription food so wounds started first so I don’t think it’s that
  • She grew up on dry food but we have introduced wet food pouches for a good month or two now could it be that?! If so, is it normal (Felix Wet Food)
The scan was pretty pointless didn’t show anything, and she went through an ordeal doing it, it all happened after the day she had the scan I wondered if they’ve used something that she had a reaction to or if they given her a treat to calm her down that she’s allergic too I’ve no idea but the last three weeks have been hell on earth and once the lesions start to clear I’m taking her to a different vet!

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also wonder if she is allergic to the antibiotics. Has your vet mentioned taking a swab of them and having it analysed.
She mentioned that if they don’t clear up or start to by Friday they might have to do a biopsy but something just isn’t sitting right with me I swear they’ve used something or it should be something dead simple!

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Food allergies often present with itching around the face and head, so I'm really wondering if it might be the prescription food. Especially since you mentioned this started shortly after you switched up her food, right? Prior to this food, what were you feeding her? If you gave her a mix of wet and dry, I would try feeding her more wet and see what happens. Also, what were the results of the scan? I'm not sure I understand why she needs to be on a prescription food for simple UTIs, but perhaps they discovered something? Stress can definitely cause UTIs in cats, so those times when she did develop UTIs, did something happen in your household that might have stressed her out? Could be anything, including a bus stop right outside, a neighborhood cat hanging around outside, a new piece of furniture...pretty much any change! If we can figure out a stressor that caused these perhaps a change to prescription food isn't required, particularly if it's causing this skin issue.
They recommended the Hills Prescription Food because she had a few flare ups now and they think it would help
I honestly cannot think of any change at all I personally think it’s stress with the UTI but I’m not vet and it’s just hunch

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could have just taken a second dose of antibiotics to cause a reaction, or it could a different batch/production from the first. It could be the pouches of new food - something in them that she is allergic to, but if you started those as long as a couple of months ago, I am not as sure about that not having caused a reaction a bit sooner. Is she off this last round of antibiotics yet? If it were related to that, it could take a week or two to clear up. And it could take a few days for the steroids to 'kick in' too.

If they do choose to test the skin cells, they will likely do a skin scraping, not an actual biopsy. Just make sure that is what they do. They can test the cells through a skin scraping, which is much more harmless than it sounds.

When it comes to allergies, unfortunately many times it is not 'dead simple'.

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could have just taken a second dose of antibiotics to cause a reaction, or it could a different batch/production from the first. It could be the pouches of new food - something in them that she is allergic to, but if you started those as long as a couple of months ago, I am not as sure about that not having caused a reaction a bit sooner. Is she off this last round of antibiotics yet? If it were related to that, it could take a week or two to clear up. And it could take a few days for the steroids to 'kick in' too.

If they do choose to test the skin cells, they will likely do a skin scraping, not an actual biopsy. Just make sure that is what they do. They can test the cells through a skin scraping, which is much more harmless than it sounds.

When it comes to allergies, unfortunately many times it is not 'dead simple'.
Yeah you might be right maybe the next batch has caused the reaction, the UTI infection has now gone but the vet wants me to continue the rest of the round as it can help with the wounds healing
What I also find is that they recommend to do this and that but it’s not clear with how much things costs and I sometimes feel obliged to go ahead with things which is it really that necessary 🤷🏻‍♀️
Thankfully I have insurance and what I hope the only time I have to use it but everytime you go and see someone its costs and the money starts to pile up when I feel like they should be able to identify it… *sighs* I don’t know maybe I’m expecting too much?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I don't know the scan was for, everything else they have done seems to be pretty typical. They probably do not have any idea what exactly is causing these lesions - any more than you do - so they are treating them the 'simplest/cheapest' to start out with that they can. Too many variables involved, and I am sure it isn't as simple as the vet being able to identify what it is just by looking at it. The longer this goes on, then they will begin to delve into things that might cost more, such as the skin scraping and testing.

You might ask them approximately how long it might take for the steroids to help, and if they think there is a probability, they won't help at all. The former they should be able to respond to, the latter maybe not so much. You could also ask how long it will take the antibiotics to clear her system once they've been completed. And ask them if there is any sort of topical treatment you could use in the meantime.

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I don't know the scan was for, everything else they have done seems to be pretty typical. They probably do not have any idea what exactly is causing these lesions - any more than you do - so they are treating them the 'simplest/cheapest' to start out with that they can. Too many variables involved, and I am sure it isn't as simple as the vet being able to identify what it is just by looking at it. The longer this goes on, then they will begin to delve into things that might cost more, such as the skin scraping and testing.

You might ask them approximately how long it might take for the steroids to help, and if they think there is a probability, they won't help at all. The former they should be able to respond to, the latter maybe not so much. You could also ask how long it will take the antibiotics to clear her system once they've been completed. And ask them if there is any sort of topical treatment you could use in the meantime.
So I’ve gone back to the emails sent by the vet and she had a case of FLUTD and it was bacterial infection which the latest urine sample is showing to be no blood and no protein I think she said (not helpful that I couldn’t really understand her she had a strong accent) I think the scan was to see if there were any crystals
The wounds do look like they are easing just can’t wait to remove the E collar from her so she can be comfortable but I don’t want to remove too early so she re opens the wounds! Such a catch 22!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe the steroids are starting to kick in? Let's hope so! At least to give her some relief while you wait to see if the antibiotics are the issue or not.

Did the scan show crystals? Either way, getting her to drink more water will help flush out sediment from the bladder, that is usually what causes crystal formation. I suppose the prescription food can help with that as well, in terms of reducing the amount of minerals that collect as sediment in the bladder too.

You could consider looking into pure D-Mannose, it helps to remove excess bacteria from the bladder to help lessen the odds of it reaching the stage of infection. I give it to Feeby daily. Other members give it to their cats for overall bladder health as well.

Are you familiar with FLUTD? Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) – TheCatSite Articles

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless her heart. You may wish to get a second opinion, especially if you feel that this vet is missing something obvious. The lesions almost look familiar to me; but I see lesions on patients frequently. I hope she continues to heal and you get the answers you need. I can say that any person can become allergic to most anything at any time. For example, someone can eat shrimp for years and then suddenly end up in the emergency department. The same goes for antibiotics, etc., in people. I imagine it can happen to cats as well, though I couldn't say for sure.

missames_90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe the steroids are starting to kick in? Let's hope so! At least to give her some relief while you wait to see if the antibiotics are the issue or not.

Did the scan show crystals? Either way, getting her to drink more water will help flush out sediment from the bladder, that is usually what causes crystal formation. I suppose the prescription food can help with that as well, in terms of reducing the amount of minerals that collect as sediment in the bladder too.

You could consider looking into pure D-Mannose, it helps to remove excess bacteria from the bladder to help lessen the odds of it reaching the stage of infection. I give it to Feeby daily. Other members give it to their cats for overall bladder health as well.

Are you familiar with FLUTD? Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) – TheCatSite Articles
If I remember correctly she said it didn’t and therefore antibiotics, increase in water and prescription food should be enough but then the lesions started!
I bought a water fountain but it’s a lot louder than I thought it be shes yet to use it but she does have a massive soft cone on at the moment so will see if I can train her to use it after she’s done with that (I do have her normal
Water bowl still out) have you got a link for which one you use for the D-Mannose?
The vet also recommended Cystaid tablets too