Extremely Anxious About Cats Illness

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old cat has IBD. The meds help but now she's Doesn't like the treats I hiding them In so I am trying all.kinds of things. I am nervous wreck.. today she seems to be hiding and didn't take all.her meds
I am afraid something is wrong but I can't tell. If I can't get the meds in her she will be Terribly sick. LadL time sns hid she ended up getting sick the next day so I.am terrified. She is my closest family.
Thank you for letting me be honest here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
I'm so so sorry. Would your vet clinic have a tech who could help you?
Or could these meds be made into transdermal gels?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Tgere is no transdermal or shot. There is a flavored liquid which I ordered and will receive Tuesday. I don't think she will eat it but I will try. It is flagyl which is a very nasty tasting pill. Thank you again.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. Great suggestions.
Dayna

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She also takes an appetite stimulator every three days and sometimes cerenia. I evidently need to switch up because for ithth she eagerly took the flagyl in her twuiv ball paste but now she won't touch it. I bought some new healthy treats yesterday and got most of it in with those. Bacon flavored sounds great. Where do you find them? She figures it out quickly and walks away. Thank you very much for the links.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Flagyl is a nasty tasting medicine to give, both pill and liquid form. Try these tips for the pill:

Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Ideas for "hiding" pills?

My cats will only take pills wrapped in a bacon flavored pill dough.

What is the other medicine you are giving, the one you are getting as a flavored liquid?
Wow. I will order the paste now
. thank you so much.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am grateful for the suggestions. I have tried everything I can and even have ordered bacon flavored bitter pill paste. She eats.most of the things once and tastez the pill snd won't eat it again. She did this with cream cheese and oily tuna, all kinds of treats, and now is suspicious of everything but her regular food. When she gets flagyl she is fine. When she went off after a month when I got it in her she got very sick. I may try a McDonald's hamburger. She didn't like peanut butter. I am scared. I hate to have to traumatize her every day by taking her to the vet. I don't blame her because from her point of view I am giving her this.horrible stuff. If she gets the pill in her.mouth.she realized and won't eat the thing again. I tried everything suggestioned including ham baby food etc. I don't know what to do.
Thank you

Dayna

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am grateful for the suggestions. I have tried everything I can and even have ordered bacon flavored bitter pill paste. She eats.most of the things once and tastez the pill snd won't eat it again. She did this with cream cheese and oily tuna, all kinds of treats, and now is suspicious of everything but her regular food. When she gets flagyl she is fine. When she went off after a month when I got it in her she got very sick. I may try a McDonald's hamburger. She didn't like peanut butter. I am scared. I hate to have to traumatize her every day by taking her to the vet. I don't blame her because from her point of view I am giving her this.horrible stuff. If she gets the pill in her.mouth.she realized and won't eat the thing again. I tried everything suggestioned including ham baby food etc. I don't know what to do.
Thank you

Dayna

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you

Dayna

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't do this at all myself but, do you think you can do the open mouth, put the pill, rub the neck so she will swallow thing vets do to pill cats? There are YouTube videos on how to. Some cats are more cooperative than the others on this but if you can manage to do it, that's the least uncomfortable way to pill the cat as they don't taste it this way at least.

If you decide to try I suggest using a small, good-smelly treat first so she won't associate the pilling progress with something negative.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't do this at all myself but, do you think you can do the open mouth, put the pill, rub the neck so she will swallow thing vets do to pill cats? There are YouTube videos on how to. Some cats are more cooperative than the others on this but if you can manage to do it, that's the least uncomfortable way to pill the cat as they don't taste it this way at least.

If you decide to try I suggest using a small, good-smelly treat first so she won't associate the pilling progress with something negative.
Thank you. Years ago I tried the this and it didn't work. I think today I will try again and talk to her vet.she is totally suspicious of the including her treats. I know what to do

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pilling can be hard. What always helps me is to kneel on the floor and position the cat between my legs so if they back up they can't get away. Also, try and act calm, speak in a quiet tone to put the cat at ease and immediately reward with a treat.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ordered a pill syringe from amazon- $3-4 and it works great! Louie has to take alot of pills and I use this to pop it back in his mouth.
Place the tip far back though so they immediately swallow.
I cover it up bacon pill paste then use the syringe.