Experiences with shelter cats overgrooming?

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweet, wonderful new cat Smokey is a gorgeous longhaired grey tabby, rather like a floofy bedroom slipper with an agenda. ;) He's very loving. However, he came from the shelter with a shaved-to-the-skin (Bald) look on parts of his hindlegs, backs of thighs, and lower belly. It looks like he was shaved to give him a poodle clip in the hindlegs, and as if someone shaved his tummy for a spay!

I imagine the overgrooming was from boredom and frustration, being in a shelter cage for about 2 years. Might this habit go away? I think he may still do it because the bald skin feels itchy as the fur tries to grow in, and because of longstanding habit. (He's on a grainfree diet) Have you ever gotten a shelter cat and had experiences with this? Thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No mats were shaved off him. He is overgrooming, unfortunately. I can buy ComfortZone plug-ins and Content-UM at the end of the week, just not before.

I'm just so worried for him. Anyone adopt a cat who overgrooms? Thank you for any experiences you can share.

Last edited:

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at a shelter and see 80-150 cats there regularly. Tbe cases of overgrooming are very rare.

Long haired cats are shaved there sometimes because of mats as there isn't enough help to keep up with combing them.

I had a short hair cat that overgroomed. Eventually I figured out that she was allergic to turkey. When she stopped eating that, the overgrooming stopped.

Robin