expanded dates on recall, I am so frustrated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! My mistake, there is another member who spells it Beach Bum with a space!

Well, welcome to TCS then!

Yes, Natura is some of it made by menu... see the thread on foods made by menu here:http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ghlight=natura

The Meow Mix market selects I have are turkey and giblets and have wheat gluten in them. And they're made in Thailand. Under normal circumstances they're great and one of the foods I give her, but not right now.

She is doing well on Nature's Recipe julienned lamb... and since it's not Menu and not gluten, I guess I will feed her that. Pllh.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beachbum

Natura uses Menu, are you sure, is it only the wet or both. If I am not mistaken they have not wheat gluten or corn. Are you sure it isn't the other brand Nutro or the other one that is spelled very similar. Anyhoo, I will email them now to find out for sure. Are they on the recall list?

Hey, just to let you know this is only my second post on this site. I just join the site this weekend. Maybe you seen my name on other sites. Well I will email that question, I'll get back. I hope they don't lie to me.
Hello and welcome

Natura, like 90% of canned pet food companies, uses Menu for wet food. See the video at http://www.naturapetcare.com/ for clarification.

beachbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for those links. The dry Innova by Natura is made by Natura (they have there own plant) plus it has no wheat gluten neither does the wet (I think), but the cut and gravy can is made by Menu but not recalled so I am ok for the dry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beachbum

Thank you for those links. The dry Innova by Natura is made by Natura (they have there own plant) plus it has no wheat gluten neither does the wet (I think), but the cut and gravy can is made by Menu but not recalled so I am ok for the dry.
Dry is Okay as 90% of Makers make there own in there own plant... natura s canned is made in a menu plant in the dakotas so for now it should be "safe"

If you are using a dry with wheat gluten I would talk to your vet..

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Dry is Okay as 90% of Makers make there own in there own plant... natura s canned is made in a menu plant in the dakotas so for now it should be "safe"

If you are using a dry with wheat gluten I would talk to your vet..
Sharky,

Do you think it's ok to continue to use Max Cat Adult?
Right now I am mixing it in with Serengeti. I've been undecided about making a total switch, but will if I must.

So far everyone seems to be in good health, although Precious did vomit this morning and it looked like it was all Max cat.

The Max Cat Adult has the following ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavors, Lamb Meal, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Egg Product, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Garlic Flavor (I've been meaning to ask about that in a Nutro food), Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selentite.

Ya know, this petfood stuff is enough to drive a person 'round the bend!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tru, I have continued feeding MAX chicken to Molly, Ophelia, & Dory. They have all had UTI issues in the past & once put on this....no more UTI issues.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently an awful lot of people have switched to organic pet food:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/us/11pets.html?ref=us
"For pet food to be labeled organic, at least 95 percent of the ingredients must be certified organic for human consumption, said Andrea Caroe, chairwoman of the National Organic Standards Board, which is part of the Food and Drug Administration."

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Apparently an awful lot of people have switched to organic pet food:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/us/11pets.html?ref=us
"For pet food to be labeled organic, at least 95 percent of the ingredients must be certified organic for human consumption, said Andrea Caroe, chairwoman of the National Organic Standards Board, which is part of the Food and Drug Administration."
I would go organic ... the raw is but the drys all have very questionable ingrediants usually

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

I would go organic ... the raw is but the drys all have very questionable ingrediants usually
I'm able to get lot of organic canned (not raw) food here in Europe. The organic dry food often has too much grain, or the producer also makes vegetarian fare for cats and dogs, so won't get my custom.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm able to get lot of organic canned (not raw) food here in Europe. The organic dry food often has too much grain, or the producer also makes vegetarian fare for cats and dogs, so won't get my custom.
organic canned is limited at least where I am ...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

organic canned is limited at least where I am ...
There are a couple of German producers, and quite a few Italian producers, but none of them seem to export beyond the EU. That could change in view of the recall, though.
I imagine some of them will be expanding due to growing demand here, too. There's a so-called "black book" on the pet food industry in Europe that was very recently published, but sales were stopped stopped by a temporary court injunction. It went back on sale yesterday, and I'm impatiently awaiting delivery of my copy. Since it got so much publicity due to the court order, I think it'll be a bestseller in German-speaking countries, and perhaps even translated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case people haven't read the other threads yet, there are additional recalled products and canned Nutro Max is one of them, along with others. I know people just recently mentioned Nutro Max.

There are more organic canned foods in areas with more market for organic in general... there are here a Sunflower Market, a Trader Joe's, and a Whole Foods market. Even Kroger has organic food. I think it has a lot to do with where you live, sadly.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Just in case people haven't read the other threads yet, there are additional recalled products and canned Nutro Max is one of them, along with others. I know people just recently mentioned Nutro Max.

There are more organic canned foods in areas with more market for organic in general... there are here a Sunflower Market, a Trader Joe's, and a Whole Foods market. Even Kroger has organic food. I think it has a lot to do with where you live, sadly.
it does see I dont have any of those markets

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

it does see I dont have any of those markets
Me either.
Heck, I have to drive at least an hour to find a Petco & their selection stinks.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Yes...the Nutro Max that was just recalled are the small "gourmet classics" cans...they contain wheat gluten.

I think you're right about the availability of organic being somewhat regional...The Whole Foods here has a pet section, but it's been reduced to a 4'x3' shelf in the corner, with just a few bags of Wellness and cans of Spot's Stew for $3 or somthing like that.
And that was the Whole Foods that's located in a somewhat high-end shopping area. I haven't checked the other stores.

Our Petco has a weak selection here too.
I've heard of better stuff in other Petcos elsewhere.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I order almost all my cat food online, so I'm not dependent on local stores/suppliers, provided they sell in Germany/the EU. The shipping costs appear to be prohibitive in many areas, though. I usually don't pay shipping costs, because I order for a number of friends/neighbors/colleagues/the local shelter, and most suppliers here are quite willing to absorb the shipping costs and give quantity discounts if you buy in bulk. Sometimes you have to ask, e.g., "If I order 240 cans in 12 flavors, will you allow me a 10% discount, and free shipping?"
Right now would be a good time to contact "niche" online suppliers and inquire about their terms, and ask pet owners you know if they'd be interested in your placing bulk orders for foods not necessarily stocked by local stores. It's a lot of work in the early stages, but once you become a regular customer, suppliers will inform you of special offers or new foods, and send samples of food, litter, toys, etc..

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Petco has a pretty weak selection, too, and we're in a major market. They carry mostly the major brands, with a very, very small section of natural brands. When I went to find the Ultramix the other night I had to search for about 15 minutes before I finally found it.

I'm fortunate that I have a really wonderful small, family-owned pet store just a few blocks from my house. They carry only high quality foods, including a good selection of natural ones. That's where I've been getting the Nature's Variety raw and most of the ones I've tried on my boys. She's actually made a decision to not sell anything with wheat gluten at all in her store right now. Unfortunately, they rejected everything she had there.
I'm sure if I ask her, though, she'll look into stocking the Ultramix. I'd just prefer to spend my money in an independent place than at a chain.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

Our Petco has a pretty weak selection, too, and we're in a major market. They carry mostly the major brands, with a very, very small section of natural brands. When I went to find the Ultramix the other night I had to search for about 15 minutes before I finally found it.

I'm fortunate that I have a really wonderful small, family-owned pet store just a few blocks from my house. They carry only high quality foods, including a good selection of natural ones. That's where I've been getting the Nature's Variety raw and most of the ones I've tried on my boys. She's actually made a decision to not sell anything with wheat gluten at all in her store right now. Unfortunately, they rejected everything she had there.
I'm sure if I ask her, though, she'll look into stocking the Ultramix. I'd just prefer to spend my money in an independent place than at a chain.
you may want to ask about By nature ... I have yet to get some but I am impressed with the company responce to my email about ingrediants

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, sharky! Pet Food Direct has the by Nature pouches on sale now, so I ordered some. It's much less expensive than the Ultramix (and hubby's been complaining a bit about the $1-a-3-oz-can price tag
). We'll see how they like it.