expanded dates on recall, I am so frustrated

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried the Spot's Stew. It's very different. Lotsa veggies it looks like. But....it was one of those foods that was very interesting to try. I mean.....sorta a hit & miss. Everyone but Twitch liked it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Spots stew has Garlic...

merrick
Merrick is what I ended up feeding to strays/losts I rescued because Zissou would starve before she'd eat it... started off enthusiastic but then wouldn't eat it. Tried like four flavors of it too. It's not chunk/gravy/shredded so much as it is... watery? I don't know.

Why don't any of these people want you to know what texture the food is!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I just stand in the store & shake the cans. Usually you can hear it there's gravy in it. Or else...if I'm unsure....there's usually a phone # for the co. on the can & I call them standing right in the store & ask them what the texture is.

You get a lot of funny looks that way!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Rapunzel47 (Fran) suggested this stuff in another thread:http://www.healthpronutrition.com/ Maybe Zissou would accept a patÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] with Vita gravy on it?
Wow. I didn't know they made cats ones. That is an interesting idea... I wish I could ask her what it is she likes about the gravy kind.

I think I'm gonna have to catch the bus over to PetCo now so I can find... something. Armed with that list of non-menu brands.

I promise not to cry in the aisle!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm calling the OSU animal hospital vet clinic tommorow to see what they think about having her checked.

Fancy Feast has wheat gluten in it, I read the labels yesterday at the store

I'm glad she's not the only charcoal cat.
Some flavors of fancy feast don't have wheat gluten.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what to suggest. Jamie and the "freeloaders", meaning Miezi, our neighbor's cat, Harry, our "pet" hedgehog, and this week's addition, an apparently stray, undernourished brown tiger cat in heat, all love ZiwiPeak. It's pate, but a bit chunky, and terribly expensive, but one small can is enough for three meals for a 14 lb. cat. It's available in lamb, venison, and venison and fish, and is from New Zealand. I add a couple of teaspoons of warm water to it to make a sort of gravy.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. Mine won't eat anything but chunks and gravy either. (Except Forest...he'll eat anything...then throw it up.
) Tailer was on the Nutro pouches, but we pulled him off that when this all started. All my boys have been on Purina's ProPlan, which hasn't been included in the recall, but it does have wheat gluten in it. Since I learned in another thread that Purina buys wheat gluten from China, I've decided that I really need to get them off of any food with wheat gluten in it for the time being. Mine wouldn't eat the Merrick, and all of the Meow Mix varieties have fish in them. I'm going to stop today and buy some of the Nature's Variety canned food and the frozen raw food and see if I can get them to eat that.

I'll be searching, too...I'll let you know if I find anything that works for my finicky boys.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it was quite the long haul to get there and back.

And I found nothing that I was happy with. I've ended up with a bunch of food with no wheat gluten in it at least.

I did get some of the VitaGravy and Zissou is making out with the bottle as we speak.

So... one of the things I decided to try I just realized is Castor and Pollox. At least I only bought two cans (I was going to try it with the vitagravy) One of them I realized is made by Del Monte (doesn't say so anywhere on the can) so I can't decide how I feel about feeding it. One of them is Sheba premium cuts which says it's only for supplemental feeding.

Any opinions on feeding Sheba with Vitagravy until the dust settles? Short of a miracle it looks like the best that's going to happen.

ps, she has her same dry available 24/7 as well.

Tari, Nature's Variety is made by Menu too.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So bad news. She won't touch the Sheba. At all. In fact she tipped the bowl over onto the carpet and ate the scraps of dry underneath it, ie, she is hungry and would rather eat dry but usually she will go hungry and wait for me to give her wet rather than eat dry.

The Sheba's going back to the store, then.

I've decided to go ahead and try the Nature's Variety even though Del Monte's treats are recalled because there is no wheat in it and it's not made by menu. It has gone over pretty well. We'll see.

This

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What variety of Sheba did you get? Mine are gravy and bits eaters as well as, no fish eaters ....... and what Ive been doing is getting the Sheba premium cuts chicken breast dinner and adding some warm water to it and chopping it up very fine and my picky eaters are eating it.

I also feed premium dry so they are continuing to get their nutrients.

By the way, its good to see you again

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not even the outside cats here would eat the Castor & Pollux....I actually had to throw it away! I honestly can't think of anything else to try! Would Zissou be fooled if you cut some pate style canned food into "chunks" or "strips" & put some VitaGravy on it? That's about my last good idea!

Also...my guys went bonkers over the Chicken & Chicken Liver by Nature pouch....did you try the chicken or did you just try a seafood one? My Fancy Feast Beef(pate style) does not contain wheat gluten.... ummm.... I've got 3 cases of Pro Pac Beef that is pate style...but not only is it stinky....it also has lots of gravy & isn't really "solid" pate style. Twitch...lil ms chunks & gravy....likes it!

ETA: I knew I was thinking of something earlier....what about canned dog food? I realize there typically 13 oz & that's a lot for one kitty...but I've bought canned Merrick dog food for the same price...13 oz...as the 5 oz canned cat Merrick. One was big chunks in TONS of gravy....I've found a lot more canned dog food to be chunks in gravy.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

What variety of Sheba did you get? Mine are gravy and bits eaters as well as, no fish eaters ....... and what Ive been doing is getting the Sheba premium cuts chicken breast dinner and adding some warm water to it and chopping it up very fine and my picky eaters are eating it.

I also feed premium dry so they are continuing to get their nutrients.

By the way, its good to see you again
Awww, thank you! I've been around, but not as actively... I was taking too many classes and working too many hours and I basically had time to, well, almost sleep.

I tried the Sheba Premium Cuts Chicken and Duck. I'm going to try just the plain old Chicken one again, but something about the smell she didn't even like. I've never seen her react like that to a food. She also has dry so I'm not worried about that.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Not even the outside cats here would eat the Castor & Pollux....I actually had to throw it away! I honestly can't think of anything else to try! Would Zissou be fooled if you cut some pate style canned food into "chunks" or "strips" & put some VitaGravy on it? That's about my last good idea!

Also...my guys went bonkers over the Chicken & Chicken Liver by Nature pouch....did you try the chicken or did you just try a seafood one? My Fancy Feast Beef(pate style) does not contain wheat gluten.... ummm.... I've got 3 cases of Pro Pac Beef that is pate style...but not only is it stinky....it also has lots of gravy & isn't really "solid" pate style. Twitch...lil ms chunks & gravy....likes it!

ETA: I knew I was thinking of something earlier....what about canned dog food? I realize there typically 13 oz & that's a lot for one kitty...but I've bought canned Merrick dog food for the same price...13 oz...as the 5 oz canned cat Merrick. One was big chunks in TONS of gravy....I've found a lot more canned dog food to be chunks in gravy.
Can you feed them dog food? Do they put Vit A and Taurine in it? She doesn't like beef much either. She'll eat it, but not happily. If I didn't have reservations about feeding a Del Monte product then the Nature's Variety Juliened Lamb (how do you spell that...) would be great, she's eating it faster than she ate her Iams.

Zissou is never fooled the little bugger. She KNOWS. She always knows. She thinks she's people. Who knew something with a brain the size of a walnut would be smarter than me?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Discuss feeding dog with your vet... mine okayed it for my kidney girl yrs ago with a taurine supp.. but now many of the premium dog have taurine in them...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed canned dog food intermittently(sp?). Like...two times a week max. However....I use the gravy from the cans to entice them to eat regular kitty wet.

I'm feeind Nature's Variety...julienne cut stuff.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wysong au jus

Solid gold seems to have a nice"gravy" and all three of mine will eat it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Wysong au jus

Solid gold seems to have a nice"gravy" and all three of mine will eat it
I was thinking about suggesting Solid Gold, too. The canned offered here is tuna, but I believe there's at least one other flavor available in the U.S.?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I was thinking about suggesting Solid Gold, too. The canned offered here is tuna, but I believe there's at least one other flavor available in the U.S.?
three I think my vet used to carry but I use one :0

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dexter & Sadie were Nutro pouch addicts.
We have been on the same journey as all of you...
searching for a food they will eat and not get the squirts.

A rather suprising thing has happened...
I have discovered that if they can't have pouch cuts & gravy...
they like pate, not ground.
I tried Calif Natural Canned Chicken & Bn Rice....
they left all the ground meat.

I got New Balance Turkey & Giblets....
added a little filtered water, they loved it.
They are hungry for wet food but I have to go slow or they will "go" fast.

I have so many different cans & brands of wet food in my cubboard, I could almost open pet food store.
What a struggle.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Dexter & Sadie were Nutro pouch addicts.
We have been on the same journey as all of you...
searching for a food they will eat and not get the squirts.

A rather suprising thing has happened...
I have discovered that if they can't have pouch cuts & gravy...
they like pate, not ground.
I tried Calif Natural Canned Chicken & Bn Rice....
they left all the ground meat.

I got New Balance Turkey & Giblets....
added a little filtered water, they loved it.
They are hungry for wet food but I have to go slow or they will "go" fast.

I have so many different cans & brands of wet food in my cubboard, I could almost open pet food store.
What a struggle.
have u tried wysong au jus??