English to English translations

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember someone posting about road rage and the driver yelling "Nice Indicator!" or something like that. I call it a 'turn signal', and if you yelled that at me I'd have no idea what I hadn't done (though I always use my turn signal).

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Uni = College
That brings to mind another difference. That the British drop the article "the" for certain institutions.

"in Hospital"
"at University"

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

There was one by my uni that was a big one with 5-6 smaller ones around it and to go the right way around the small ones, you go the wrong way around the big one, but the big one has two lanes so you don't have to go around every small one, so you do actually go around the big one the wrong way!

Can't get my head around what you're saying, but it sounds about as much fun as the infamous huge roundabout going into Edinburgh.
We have lots of new ones here. I think they're great, but the driver education on how to use them was sorely lacking.

I've been loving this thread!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Can't get my head around what you're saying, but it sounds about as much fun as the infamous huge roundabout going into Edinburgh.
We have lots of new ones here. I think they're great, but the driver education on how to use them was sorely lacking.
Here is an example of a traffic circle in my neighborhood - we have lots. The purpose is to slow traffic so the street is safer. This one is at the intersection of SE Taylor St and SE 14th Ave. It is the green, round thing

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.001808&z=19

(hope this map works!)

edit: if you change the option to just "satellite" it is easier to see.

edit again: here is a large one in our Ladd's Addition area. The diamond shaped areas and the circle in the center are gardens. They all serve to make traffic go slower.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.007231&z=17

can ya tell I like maps?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's one in Cleveland that makes you dizzy:
this has five streets come together, all of them busy, in one of the busiest parts of town. There is no easy way around it.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

There's one in Cleveland that makes you dizzy:
this has five streets come together, all of them busy, in one of the busiest parts of town. There is no easy way around it.
Yikes, getting dizzy just looking at it!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...I have a cousin that moved to London a couple of years ago and I've noticed an unusual thing she says now. I have yet to ask her about it...so I don't know if it's a "London" thing or just her rushing her speech!

Instead of saying...you know what I mean?...she says...ya mean?? Is this a British thing?

xman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canada seems to occupy a strange land somewhere between American English and International English. Officially most words will be spelled the international way, but many Canadians tend to pick up American turns of phrase. It can be difficult to tell which is which sometimes.

X

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Is bloody the UK word for US f word.?
No, bloody is just used as a minor swear word, ofen combined with hell

eg:bloody hell that was close! if another car nearly hit your's.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On roundabouts, here's one of the most famous ones: The magic roundabout in Swindon. It's completely insane, have a look http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...3208&z=18&om=1

I think atleast often with the UK specific slang, people are aware of the american meaning of the word and are able to get from the context the actual meaning. I mean people make stuffing for turkeys and chicken etc. and call it stuffing so a stuffed bird of the cooking variety is easily understood.

Here's a few other words

bam = loony, i.e he's a complete bam magnet if they seem to attract really weird people. I think that might be Scottish though.
knackered = exhausted/tired

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of those round abouts are flat out intimidating! Ours are nothing that complicated.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
there are 2 traffic circles near me, one in Litchfield and another in Sharon Center
they are both 4 road ones, both are very scary to me! I hate driving on them

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

What is the US equivalent of a "digestive biscuit"?
A digestive biscuit is a sweet meal biscuit, similar in flavour to a Graham Cracker, but with a softer crumb. We get them in Canada, under a number of different brand names. They're really nice, especially with a chocolate dip.

See wikipedia