English to ebonics

G

ghostuser

What if some famous movie quotes were translated to Ebonics from English?

"Luke, I am your father."
----"Hey boy, I's yo daddy"

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
----"Later, b%$#@"

"To be or not to be? That is the question."
----"Is I is or is I ain't? #@iiiii%"

""I'll be back"
----"I's fixin to bust a cap in yo a$$"

"We're off to see the wizard"
----"We'z fixin to go to da hoodoo 'bout some voodoo"

"We're going to need a bigger boat."
----Yous see da teet on that Mutha $#@*^, see here, turn dis here piece of %$#@ round now and get to shore for shizzle."

"I am Spartacus"
----"Who dhat?"

It would seem that ebonics use curse words freely, and rather than bleep out any more I'll leave the others for your imagation.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...too funny.

I have heard a Delta Airlines commercial that was translated into Ebonics, it was very funny.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ebonics is a segment of language unique to African American kids. It basically (and the debate rages on) is a quicker way to say something to someone, or to some people a lazier way since it does not involve proper english usage like most of us have learned. It is where the words "dog" and "hoe" take on different meanings and different spellings as well.

The translator provided in the link above, is a way of poking fun at a part of our culture that is evolving, and in my opinion speaking as a member and not a mod, entirely disrespectful to the origin of this language.

Most of the kids who speak ebonics come from poorly educated backgrounds and this is how they communicate. Several school systems are now teaching their instructors ebonics to help them communicate with the kids and understand what the kids are trying to say.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly hope using it in schools is merely a means to the end of teaching these children proper English. Their chances of becoming successful in life speaking "Ebonics" are minimal - would you want someone who speaks that way representing your company?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
The translator provided in the link above, is a way of poking fun at a part of our culture that is evolving, and in my opinion speaking as a member and not a mod, entirely disrespectful to the origin of this language.
I dont think its disrespectful. I think its funny. But whatever, delete it if you want.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm...ebonics isn't even on that site...its redneck, jive talk, swedish chef and a few others.

I don't think it was disrespectful at all *shrugs*

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for clearing that up for me

To be honest though, it seems that i'm the one who's going to need lessons understanding half the words.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is my understanding that the teachers learn how the kids speak and with that under their belt, they then bring the kids aside and teach them basic English skills. Otherwise, they wouldn't have a clue if they are reaching these kids or not. As I said, the debate is still going on about ebonics.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, did you know that "bling bling" will now be included in the dictionary..... *sigh*

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just boggles the mind how a child can be born and raised in the USA, to parents also born and raised here, attend school and still not speak English.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for multilingual children, if the family speaks a mother tongue at home and teaches the child, that is wonderful and enriching. But the child is going to grow up in and live in the USA, where English is the language of common usage, and needs to know how to speak, read and write in it in order to be a contributing member of the community.

glentheman20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Man-oh-man, they don't have to put EVERY slang word in the dictionary. I mean, "Doh!" I can get on board with, but everything else is just silly
It's weird, though; most people around the world speak some english, and it's no big deal, but when someone suggests that kids in America learn English along with their own native tongue there's an uproar. I guess it goes back to the whole white-guilt thing over slavery. I'm Vietnamese, and I speak both languages, and it's expected of me, so why should it be different for any other group?

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Sicycat
I dont think its disrespectful. I think its funny. But whatever, delete it if you want.
I don't think anyone is deleting anything right now. But I totally agree w/ Hissy. It is disrespectful. Its poking fun at the way African Americans speak. And like Hissy pointed out, most of the African Americans who do speak like this don't know any better. They come from poor socio economic backgrounds, and have poor education normally. Yet 'we' are poking fun of them. Its ignorance on 'our' part completely.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But Sicy's link didn't have anything to do with Ebonics

Thats what was said to be disrespectful. Did you guys actually follow the link??