English to ebonics

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My reply was not referring to Sicy's link. It was referring to the original post here that made fun of ebonics and how African Americans talk.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The translator mentioned pokes fun at all different types of dialects - it's actually very funny! It's kind of like South Park where it offends all parties equally.

Regarding the Ebonics: It's the way some poorly educated African-Americans speak. It is not an African-American language. I know plenty of African-Americans who don't speak that way, who know how to speak English and express themselves in a professional and eloquent manner. If you watch the BBC news you'll see African-English people speaking with a British accent! I've also seen teenagers of other races who imitate the Ebonics style of speech because they want to fit in with the MTV lifestyle that glorifies it. Or even because they've grown up around others who speak that way, attending schools where the teachers even speak that way. I attended a school like that in Louisiana one year - those teachers couldn't even spell! My parents were fortunately able to scrape together enough money to get me into a private school the next year. The school system did all of those children a grave disservice.

What needs to be fixed here is the incorrect association of that style of speech with African-Americans as a race, when it's actually just a result of woefully inadequate education.

I agree wholeheartedly w/ glentheman's comment. My husband's family originally came from Germany - they learned English shortly after their arrival, but kept the native language alive at home for generations.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I certainly was not implying that ALL African Americans speak that way. Perhaps my post was misunderstood. What I said was those that do normally come from poor socio economic backgrounds ,and lack in the education. Obviously there are many African Americans who speak perfect English, and to even think that I was implying otherwise would be foolish.

Look at Oprah Winfrey for example.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I misunderstood.
Thanks for the clarification.

However, it does seem that people get real defensive about Ebonics and try to treat it as a racial issue, when it's really an education issue.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My original quoted response by dtolle was responding to hissy's comment about the link I posted.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that link was hilarious...especially TCS home page set to "redneck"

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree it is an education issue, BUT I also think if you look at statistics that the majority of those who do speak in Ebonics are indeed African American. Of course, there are exceptions, and I'm sure there are lots of other cultures that perhaps do as well.
Maybe I was wrong to make such a generalization. I certainly was not trying to make it into a racial issue.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is the first thing that came to my mind too, Daniela, when I saw this, that African Americans might find it offensive....although I'm sure noone meant it to be, but it does kind of imply it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
G

ghostuser

I certainly DID NOT mean to offend anyone, anyhow,in any way from any culture or class.

As for teachers using this 'new' language to teach in school sounds like some what of an oximoron to me. Using that language to teach another.......hummm......maybe similiar to learning a fornien(sp?) language??????????