Elsa is undergoing surgery (bump on neck)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
VideoCapture_20221219-092400.jpg

She's doing well. I took her in for the vet to change her bandage and check the wound. He said it is healing perfectly with no sign of infection. I wasn't expecting the wound to come out so clean and even. Not sure what I was expecting, but he did a good job.

Since I lessened how much tuna I put in her dinner, she left a lot of food. :sigh: I am hoping she will eat more through the night.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Elsa left 1/3 of her dinner. She only ate the parts that she thought had tuna. I tried adding less. Should I just give in and add more tuna? I know its important for her to eat so she can heal from the procedure. But I want to wean her off the tuna.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't recall if I mentioned this, but can you obtain Safe Catch Tuna? It's low mercury and they have a no sodium version, so that you could keep using tuna with less concern until she gets past this.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recall if I mentioned this, but can you obtain Safe Catch Tuna? It's low mercury and they have a no sodium version, so that you could keep using tuna with less concern until she gets past this.
thank you! let me check stores near me, I have never heard of that brand before.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never thought I would spend 15$ for 3 cans of tuna. :flail:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thursday I have to remove the second set of bandages that the vet placed. They told me I could just keep her with the sock I created and the little cone. But that makes me worried. The sutures won't be removed until the end of next week. Should I try using similar bandages that they used at the vet's office so it can be more cushioned? and just change them every 3 days? I saw them bandage her. They just mentioned the importance of leaving enough space so it's not tight around her neck.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may want the site to breath. I'd ask them, just to double check.
I will ask. That just makes me nervous. i dont want to give her little paws the chance of ripping the stitches. I wouldnt mind risking it once they are removed. But I will defer to the vets office.

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is all they said: "The tube sock may work."

I read online that it's good to keep a wound moist so I'm not sure what is better.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Final update. We just got her bandages removed. The wound looks great! When we got home she took a 20 minute shower after I removed everything from her neck. I panicked cause she itched at the area near the wound. But she calmed down. She's a lot happier without having that itchy bump on her neck. I didn't wake up last night to the sound of her desperate itching. I am so glad I didn't let my fear stop me from getting her the surgery she needed. Due to her decreased white blood cells, the risk of infection truly scared me. The vet did a great jobb and I can barely see the incision.
VideoCapture_20221230-084553.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Final update. We just got her bandages removed. The wound looks great! When we got home she took a 20 minute shower after I removed everything from her neck. I panicked cause she itched at the area near the wound. But she calmed down. She's a lot happier without having that itchy bump on her neck. I didn't wake up last night to the sound of her desperate itching. I am so glad I didn't let my fear stop me from getting her the surgery she needed. Due to her decreased white blood cells, the risk of infection truly scared me. The vet did a great jobb and I can barely see the incision.
View attachment 439874
I'm so glad she's (almost) back to 100%! Once that fur grows back in you won't even know anything happened. It's good to know that even with her white cell count, she handles surgery/recovery just fine with some extra TLC. :hearthrob:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad she's (almost) back to 100%! Once that fur grows back in you won't even know anything happened. It's good to know that even with her white cell count, she handles surgery/recovery just fine with some extra TLC. :hearthrob:
It's a huge relief for sure. I don't know if it made a difference but I spent a couple of months giving her fish oil to make her skin less dry and Vetri DMG to bring up her immune system.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a huge relief for sure. I don't know if it made a difference but I spent a couple of months giving her fish oil to make her skin less dry and Vetri DMG to bring up her immune system.
It certainly doesn't hurt. When I had Livie scheduled for her spay, she was on high powered probiotics, a liver support, and an adrenal support for a month before and about 2 months after.