Elsa is undergoing surgery (bump on neck)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm nervous about it. She has low wbc. But every day she's desperately itchy and all the treatments I've done these 6 months and the bump is still black colored. Vet thinks it's better to do it now that I've brought down the bump considerably. She'll be getting an antibiotic shot to protect against infection. I'm nervous about this and I'm posting just to have others praying for her.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm nervous about it. She has low wbc. But every day she's desperately itchy and all the treatments I've done these 6 months and the bump is still black colored. Vet thinks it's better to do it now that I've brought down the bump considerably. She'll be getting an antibiotic shot to protect against infection. I'm nervous about this and I'm posting just to have others praying for her.
You got it. :) I'm always nervous when mine go under, and they always are fine! It's our nature to worry. :hugs: :petcat: Make sure you have a plan to spoil her silly when she comes home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got it. :) I'm always nervous when mine go under, and they always are fine! It's our nature to worry. :hugs: :petcat: Make sure you have a plan to spoil her silly when she comes home!
Thank you🥰

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone, we are home now. Surgery went well, and she managed to eat a little bit of food. however, she is antsy and meowing a lot. Is this normal? They said she was given pain medication so she wouldnt be in pain. Could she be meowing because I have her in a soft crate? I have her in there with a bed and a litter pan. Her meowing just makes me anxious.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everyone, we are home now. Surgery went well, and she managed to eat a little bit of food. however, she is antsy and meowing a lot. Is this normal? They said she was given pain medication so she wouldnt be in pain. Could she be meowing because I have her in a soft crate? I have her in there with a bed and a litter pan. Her meowing just makes me anxious.
She might be upset, still loopy feeling, or just complaining about confinement. Is she used to the soft crate, or is being in there new to her?
I am so glad she's home safe (even if she's not 100% happy, she will be!)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be upset, still loopy feeling, or just complaining about confinement. Is she used to the soft crate, or is being in there new to her?

I am so glad she's home safe (even if she's not 100% happy, she will be!)

No shes not used to being confined. But both my cats are stuck in one bedroom. It's the only way i can keep her. I was told she shouldn't jump today. If i let her loose she might try to jump.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anesthesia can affect cats differently. Most of my kitties are fine with it and are just groggy, but I've had them hiss, spit, and growl, get very loopy, run around like crazy things, howl and cry. It's so much fun! (NOT) It's certainly makes us anxious and pulls at us, but hopefully the anesthesia will wear off quickly.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would cover the crate, put on some nice relaxing music and keep the lights dim. Poor girlie doesn't understand why she has to be confined, but she'll be allowed her freedom back very soon. :cutecat:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anesthesia can affect cats differently. Most of my kitties are fine with it and are just groggy, but I've had them hiss, spit, and growl, get very loopy, run around like crazy things, howl and cry. It's so much fun! (NOT) It's certainly makes us anxious and pulls at us, but hopefully the anesthesia will wear off quickly.
I would cover the crate, put on some nice relaxing music and keep the lights dim. Poor girlie doesn't understand why she has to be confined, but she'll be allowed her freedom back very soon. :cutecat:
I gave in and let her loose and she calmed down. She ate some more food and used her litter box. Im hoping it doesnt affect her negatively to be loose. But I couldnt stand seeing her so anxious. My room is quiet now and shes just pacing back and forth and jumping to the tree. Her footing seems better now.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I gave in and let her loose and she calmed down. She ate some more food and used her litter box. Im hoping it doesnt affect her negatively to be loose. But I couldnt stand seeing her so anxious. My room is quiet now and shes just pacing back and forth and jumping to the tree. Her footing seems better now.
Does she have a favorite place to lay? Make sure it's extra cozy how she likes it and maybe set her there so she knows it's time to tke a nap. Now that she ate and used her box and is home, maybe she'll just curl up and sleep it all off. :hugs:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a favorite place to lay? Make sure it's extra cozy how she likes it and maybe set her there so she knows it's time to tke a nap. Now that she ate and used her box and is home, maybe she'll just curl up and sleep it all off. :hugs:
She likes to sit on my chair. That's where she was throughout the night. she was able to sleep a lot through the night.:cheerleader:She had breakfast and is napping now. My late mother always said that sleep was the best natural remedy so I am going to try to leave her to rest as much as possible today. The vet put a thick bandage on her neck that she scratches at. I don't know if I should try putting a soft cone. I tried it this morning and she refused to move with it on. :flail:Doctor didn't seem concerned that she was scratching at it. He made the bandage really thick and layered. I am taking her back Monday for him to change the bandage. He told me to leave it alone. And i prefer it that way. LOL I cant risk giving her an infection with her white blood cells being so low.

My vet told me to only give her pain meds if she needs them. They are anti-medication at my vet's office. But I have had pain meds with every procedure I have had, why would I deny her that? I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and took ibuprofen for a couple of days and that's not as serious as Elsa's surgery. She had a lump cut off from her neck.
Some pics of her this morning.

She was actually asking me to pet her. :bawling: I had expected her to be upset with me for a few days. Shes really such a sweet cat. Even the lady at the vet's office was smiling and telling me they had an easy recovery with her because she was well-behaved and sweet natured. If they only knew what she used to be like. :flail:
20221217_071845.jpg 20221217_071847.jpg VideoCapture_20221217-084542.jpg

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to think Elsa is playing on my sympathies. LOL When she last had some teeth removed she didn't eat for 2 days until I gave her tuna. I know this is her weak point. So I've been adding tuna to her food since the day I brought her home, and today I thought I would wean her off the tuna, and she refuses to eat without it. :flail: Tomorrow I am taking her in to check/change her bandages and have her wound checked by my vet.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm starting to think Elsa is playing on my sympathies. LOL When she last had some teeth removed she didn't eat for 2 days until I gave her tuna. I know this is her weak point. So I've been adding tuna to her food since the day I brought her home, and today I thought I would wean her off the tuna, and she refuses to eat without it. :flail: Tomorrow I am taking her in to check/change her bandages and have her wound checked by my vet.
"Dear Elsa,
Tell Santa to deliver ASAP.
1671410185094.png

Love, Lila :cutecat: "

If nothing else, could you work up to just adding a little bit of juice and gradually water that down? Smart little girl she is! :lol:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Dear Elsa,
Tell Santa to deliver ASAP.
View attachment 438972
Love, Lila :cutecat: "

If nothing else, could you work up to just adding a little bit of juice and gradually water that down? Smart little girl she is! :lol:
I will try, but I really want to be sure she keeps eating as she is healing. I can tell shes in a bit of pain tonight. She didnt finish her dinner so I added more tuna and she ate it all.

That picture made me laugh. :flail: