Electric Bills...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gasped when ours was $92 last month!!! I run a dehumidifier in the basement, then I suppose all the fans as we have no A/C. Normal July bill should have been in the mid $50's.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was $120.00 and I am on a plan for low income families. i usually run it 10 hours a day PLUS 5 fans. I have vaulted ceilings and once the sun goes down it gets HOT inside. Right now at 7:30 in CA it is 82 OUTSIDE and 84 INSIDES!

WHY they build homes with vaulted ceilings in a HOT climit is beyond me!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have you all beat, not that it's a good thing cause I almost passed out when I got mine, Bill before last was $125.00 the one I just payed was $430,80 I could not beleive it, So glad it's cooled off the the minute

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Our last 2 were $166 and $161. That wouldn't be too bad except we live in a one bedroom apartment without a washer & dryer!

List of groups to hate:
IRS
Electric companies
Insurance companies
Oh lets add gasoline suppliers
they suck to , I can remember when my hubby sold gas for 24 cents a gallon and made a living in the 1960s ...

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

He's right. It takes more energy to pull the humidity and heat out of the air after having it off or turned up then it does to keep it consistantly running at a level temp.
(my dad's been an a/c tech for 40 years)
Thats why my bill is always under $100 even in the heat of summer!
If you don't mind me asking, what do you leave your thermostat set at? I never turn mine up/down at night, and I leave it around 70-73. But it sorta sucks, because the basics in my townhouse (like the appliances and air conditioning) are sorta old, and the temp never stays constant. It will go from being comfortable, to warm, to a little cool throughout the day without me touching the temp! I've tried the trick of shutting the vents on one level (top in the winter, bottom in the summer) but that didn't seem to help either.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have central air in our apartment and our electric bill is not too bad at all, it was $80 last month and for this month it's $87, I think central air is very efficient. I do leave the temp at around 75 during the day and 70-72 overnight. Now, with the heat the electric bill runs up to $100-120 a month during the winter since our heat runs off the electric. So it's cheaper for us in the summer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

If you don't mind me asking, what do you leave your thermostat set at? I never turn mine up/down at night, and I leave it around 70-73. But it sorta sucks, because the basics in my townhouse (like the appliances and air conditioning) are sorta old, and the temp never stays constant. It will go from being comfortable, to warm, to a little cool throughout the day without me touching the temp! I've tried the trick of shutting the vents on one level (top in the winter, bottom in the summer) but that didn't seem to help either.
We generally leave ours at 73. When its really hot, it can't quite keep up, so the house temp for a few hours is 75, still perfectly manageable.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last month's bill, for my 2 BR apartment, was $147.00. I keep my A/C at 80-85. Just got my gas bill and it was only $21.00.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is usually like $45, I live in a studio apartment, so $45 is reasonable...but it has been $100 a month lately. That is just ridiculous for a small studio apartment. Seriously.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep my A/C at 78ºF.
Sometimes I scootch it down a tad at night if the hot flashes are really bad

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suddenly I am very glad that mine is included in my rent!

At work ours was about $50 more but was less than it was over the winter when we had the heat on so we wont complain

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

He also said that an A/C running is actually very energy efficeint, it is the kicking on and off that requires the most power.
Very true.
First of all, my appliances are all energy efficient which really helps. My electric bills have gone up some, but they're still quite reasonable. The hot weather doesn't bother me too much, so I only use my a/c on the hottest days and then let it run on a lower setting 24/7. However, I have noticed that several of my neighbors run their a/c at night when they are home, and then turn the a/c off and open the windows during the day while they are at work. They repeat this over and over, so I'm sure their electric bills are a lot higher than usual too.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we have a five bedroom 2 storey house our electric is on card meter which costs me between £20-£25 per week which is about $37-$46

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents have a five-bedroom, 3-bath house, with formal living room, dining room and family room. They have 2 heat pumps, for cooling and heating. On budget billing, their electric bill is $250.00.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have A/C, and I also don't pay utilities. But I can't understand why any of you would turn your A/C lover than 78 degrees. Anything belowe that is, getting on the cool side. I find A/C turned down too low to be really uncomfortable. I'd need a sweater and heavy socks when it's running at less than 78 degrees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only reason we keep ours that low is because we have two small children who get hot really fast. When its 75 in the house and they are running about playing, they have sweat dripping off of them.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I don't have A/C, and I also don't pay utilities. But I can't understand why any of you would turn your A/C lover than 78 degrees. Anything belowe that is, getting on the cool side. I find A/C turned down too low to be really uncomfortable. I'd need a sweater and heavy socks when it's running at less than 78 degrees.
Mine never goes below 78 BUT the ducts are bigger in some rooms and in my computer room the vents won't completely close and I FREEZE! THEN in other rooms it is TOOOO hot!

My house can and does get up to 85/ 86 with AC AND 4 fans on at the same time!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh lets add gasoline suppliers
they suck to , I can remember when my hubby sold gas for 24 cents a gallon and made a living in the 1960s ...
Revised list:
List of groups to hate:
IRS
Electric companies
Insurance companies
gasoline suppliers

I remember 29.9 a gal! I wasn't driving yet though.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last month was around $72 for a 780 sq ft one-bedroom apartment. I only had electric at that place (I just moved on Tuesday), so even hot water was controlled with electricity. I left the thermostat around 76-78.