elderly cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, just look a Rascal's little white cotton socks.

He was a strapping young lad.

Move love and healing vibes going out to your precious boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, things seem to be still escalating, as I knew they would sooner or later.

I had to take Rascal into the vet's again, for the second time in three days. I got home from work to find the place quite a mess. Rascal had thrown up like 8 times and seemed to have diarrhea which he tracked here and there, and he peed in the kitchen, and he was just doing terrible (no energy, lethargic, having a really hard time moving at all, even crouching down to drink water), and his front paw was swollen.

The way he looked -- well, you know how when you've got the flu and just want to curl up under the covers and stay in bed all day? That's what he looked like he was feeling like.

It turns out

1. His front paw was filled with the subq fluid. Which is what I thought it was at first, but usually when it goes down into his paw it is absorbed within a day or so and the "swelling" goes down, but it has been swollen for longer than that. It is possible that his system is now having a harder time absorbing the fluids.

2. He didn't have diarrhea, but the opposite. He was constipated (only the liquidy stuff was able to get around the blockage, so that's what I was seeing). So the vet cleaned him out (ew).

3. The vomiting might have been due to the constipation (i.e. he was pushing so hard to defecate that he made himself throw up).

They also did some blood tests, and things really aren't looking good. I've got a copy of the results and it looks scary (lots of indicators of HIGH or LOW).

- His kidney values are worse.

- His anemia values have gone back down.

- His thyroid is showing some problems (may just reflect that he's sick).

- His white blood cell count is bad (not unexpected as he's got an infection).

- Most importantly, his liver values are now bad, indicating either a liver infection or tumor. (Liver problems may also be the cause of his vomiting and lowered appetite.) So he may now have cancer in multiple places.

There was some talk about ultrasounds, biopsies, hospital, IV, etc. Sigh.

For now, we're going to go with the antibiotic (Clavamox), and extra B vitamins and subq fluids, and some other adjustment, and see if it helps him at all.

Honestly, I have to think about his quality of life here. The way he's been the past couple of days, he looks miserable. If he's going to stay that way, I'm thinking trying to prolong his life would just prolong his suffering.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear that Rascal's health seems to be deteriorating rapidly. May you have the strength to make the right decision for Rascal.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My thoughts are with you and Rascal during this difficult time.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear that things have gotten worse, and I do hope the meds work, and if not, you have the courage to do what is best for him. Thinking of you.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats have a knack for ruining one's plans, don't they?

Here I am getting all prepared for Rascal to cross the bridge, when he rallies back a bit and decides to stay on earth for a little while longer. Cats are stubborn...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, at least it is a good thing he is in good spirits.

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
for Rascal!!! you really are taking wonderful care of him and even htough he is 18 years old he still looks as sweet as he did at 7 months

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitty is doing okay... For that matter I hope you are doing okay too! Im sending good for the both of you!!

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everybody for your good thoughts. He's doing better than he was a couple of weeks ago when I had to bring him to the vet twice in three days. But since his health is still poor, I don't know how long this will last before he crashes again. So I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tigerlily0

So I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Wise words....
enjoy every precious moment that you have with your dear Rascel.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's over. His health crashed today and I had to put him to sleep.

I was afraid that I was going to lose him about a month ago, but then he rallied. He was eating, peeing (with little to no blood in his urine), pooping (soft and formed, thanks to the fiber I was putting in his food). His legs were weak and unstable, and he couldn't jump any more, but he was able to walk around between the food, the bathroom, and the couch in the living room. He was even going up and down the stairs a little bit.

But I knew it was just a matter of time before he crashed again, and it happened overnight. When I got up this morning, he couldn't stand up, etc. I knew it was time. I rushed him over to the vet, and she confirmed it, so we put him to sleep.

Happy trails, little guy. Thanks for the 18 years.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that your heart feels empty today.

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace beloved Rascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.