elderly cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This acidophilus, where would I get it? At like PetCo?

As far as the GI upset goes, the vet was concerned that the antibiotics would make him throw up (more than he does on an on-going basis already), so she looked around and found a chewable one that she said wouldn't make him throw up. He's been taking it for four days now and hasn't had any problems. He's taking Baytril.

The elevated white cell count is the only thing they mentioned to me from the blood work. I didn't ask about anything else because I figured I'm going to be taking him back in two weeks anyway to see how the infection is going, and I could ask then.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tigerlily0

This acidophilus, where would I get it? At like PetCo?

As far as the GI upset goes, the vet was concerned that the antibiotics would make him throw up (more than he does on an on-going basis already), so she looked around and found a chewable one that she said wouldn't make him throw up. He's been taking it for four days now and hasn't had any problems. He's taking Baytril.

The elevated white cell count is the only thing they mentioned to me from the blood work. I didn't ask about anything else because I figured I'm going to be taking him back in two weeks anyway to see how the infection is going, and I could ask then.
Bene bac is a probiotic Petco has ... many also have probios

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a couple more pictures (can't you tell I'm playing with my new toy?
)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our kitties love their boxes don't they.

Rascal is a very distinguished looking senior kitty.

Thanks for sharing his pictures with us.

More healthy vibes for Rascal.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rascal went in for a check on his infection (CBC), and it looks like it is under control now. His white blood cell count is back to normal.

As far as his full tests from 2 weeks ago goes:

- his red cell count is 35 1/2, which is better than it has been, the vet says that means the Procrit is working on his anemia

- his urine is fine except it is somewhat dilute, which the vet says is from the kidney problems and the subq fluids

- his phosphorous levels are fine, not high

- his potassium levels are low, and she suggests a potassium supplement which they have in a powder that can be sprinkled on his canned food

- his kidney numbers are worse, as you would expect:

last set (from March):

BUN 52 (normal 14-36)
Creatanine 2.5 (normal .6-2.4)

this month:

BUN 97
Creatanine 3.2

She suggested maybe doing the subq fluids every day at 75ml/day instead of the 100ml every-other-day. We'll have to see how Rascal puts up with that...

Here's another pic of the little old man:

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh, there's your sweet boy curled up under a table, so comfy.

Although Rascal has other health issues along his with kidney problems, because he in on sub-q's, you also might consider posting a thread about his kidney numbers in the CRF - Chronic Renal Failure thread, at the top of the Health Forum.
We have members who have a lot of experience with CRF kitties.
Here's a link to it.

http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119727

Thanks for the update.
Rascal

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit I just read the very end of this thread, and don't recall all the details from the beginning, but have you considered asking your vet about using Calcitriol?

It's made such a good difference for my crf kitties, Patrick was on it for almost 4 years, Frankie and Tyler and Tippy are on it currently.

You can read more about it here:
http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt...alcitriol2.htm

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, would suggest getting him on Calcitriol. I've had Cleo on Calcitriol since January of '03. Her renal numbers are stable, she eats, pees, poops and plays like a normal 7 1/2 year old (she's been in renal failure for 7 years, since she was 6 months old.)

Your vet will need to draw blood and run an Ionized Calcium and Intact Parathormone (PTH) test. I believe the best place to send it is Michigan State University School of Veterinary Medicine. I know that another lab (Antech, I think) can do the test, but MSU was found to be more accurate and reliable by the folks on the Feline-CRF-Support site.

Here is a link to the Calcitriol Protocol Page http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt...alcitriol3.htm

This is from the Calcitriol Reference Page:
Michigan State University (MSU) College of Veterinary Medicine - Animal Health Diagnostic Lab - Endocrine Unit does a Parathormone Related Peptide test of parathyroid function. Some Antech Labs use the MSU methodology for testing PTH, but MSU is less expensive. Per reports from members of the Calcitriol Support Group, price is about $60-$70 per test, even with your local vet's markup.

Good luck! I will keep you and Rascal in my prayers!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
JUST a FYI ... you may want to print some info off for the calitrol , MY vet was not familiar with it

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

JUST a FYI ... you may want to print some info off for the calitrol , MY vet was not familiar with it
Not a bad idea!

My vet was unfamiliar with Calcitriol when I mentioned it to her. I had joined the Calcitriol yahoo group and learned about it, and read posts made by Dr. Nagode, a noted Calcitriol researcher at Ohio State University. My vet did a telephone consult with Dr. Nagode and was so impressed that she put Cleo, as well as her own CRF kitty, on Calcitriol immediately!

Here's a link to the entire Calcitriol Reference Page. Feel free to share this info with your vet!

http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt...iol/index.html

I use Island Pharmacy (mentioned on the Calcitiol Reference Page) to have Cleo's Calcitriol prescription compounded. They are very familiar with Dr. Nagode's protocol and fill hundreds of prescriptions for Calcitriol!

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looking back at my notes, my vet did mention Calcitriol in March/April, the last time that I brought Rascal in for a check-up. It was at that time that I started doing the subq fluids and the procrit for the anemia. She mentioned the Calcitriol as something to think about for later, after we started with the subq's.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For anyone who is still interested in an update:

The little guy just can't catch a break.

He's now got blood in his urine, so I took him to the vet. She says it is most likely either a stone or tumor in the bladder. They'd have to do an ultrasound to make sure. The problem with both is that the primary course of treatment is surgery or chemo, and seeing as he's 18 and in poor health, both are really too risky to try.

So for now, we're going to put him on an antibiotic (which he'll probably have to stay on indefinitely). And bring in a urine sample in a couple of weeks to see if anything has changed. Then decide whether doing the ultrasound is worthwhile or not (seeing as we probably can't do much about the problem, either way).

Oh, and, he's also got low potassium, so I'm going to give him a powder supplement with his food every day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
caring for our senior catcitizens is hard work just like a older human things keep compounding..

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Im sorry! I hope he gets better with antibiotics! It sounds like you're taking very good care of your 18 y/o kitty! Whats that in cat year.... Oh, we'll just say 29 and holding! Good luck to you and your kitty too!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed the antibiotics help him have quality of life.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sending thoughts of peace and love to you and Rascal.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for your best wishes for Rascal. As a thank-you, here's a pic of the little old man himself, when he was just a young whippersnapper (7 months old in 1989):

Obviously, there were no digital cameras in 1989 (were there?). This is a digital photo of a regular photo that was taken at that time, hence the kinda crappy quality.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cutie! Sending him "respond to the antibiotic" vibes and a head bump from my 18+ y.o. Tyler.

Status
Not open for further replies.