Eight ornaments bit the dust yesterday

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that Mollipop! She is one bad girl!

DH got home from work yesterday and found five blue balls on the tree skirt on the kitchen floor from the Tacky White Tree. And in the living room, he found a white snowflake, a stuffed little brown tabby kitty, and an ornament that says "MEOW" on the floor. Now, we have six cats, but we'd bet dollars to donuts that a certain not-so-little brown tabby is the culprit.

And once an ornament is off the tree, we don't put it back on for the rest of the season. We put it in a box and, at the end of the season, we count them. I have a sneaky feeling that we're going to have a lot of ornaments in that box this year!

I told her that if she doesn't behave, Santa Paws will be leaving coal in her stocking instead of catnip, SIP, and toys. She doesn't care. She jumped off my lap and headed right for the tree! Bad girl!

We did a bit of shopping last night, but didn't see any kitty stockings that we liked. I ordered one from Foster and Smith and it will have Mollipop's name on it. It's wine-colored with paw prints. So cute.

But that is one bad kitty!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL!!

My kittens have been naughty but are still getting a homemade stocking filled with goodies and a cat tree.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you like to see my tree?

I cant have decorations or lights or anything but garland on my tree. It seriously is the one time of year that we get a full dose of Queen Jungle Butt (AKA Mollipops older twin)
I didnt even have the tree halfway put together this year before Gigi decided it was time to climb. I just showed BIL and SIL the tree last night and pulled it out and showed them how Gigi and Bacon knocked out the branches off the upper 3 rows and made a bed on the floor out of the branches (Ramsie, Bacon and Gigi sleep on their bed). Bacon now climbs the tree, Ramsie goes under the tree but shes still too little to climb it. Poor tubby butt Hercules tried to climb the tree but he isnt the most agile or graceful kitty and he didnt fair so well. That poor guy falls off the bookshelf if he starts rolling around. LOL.

Im going to take a pic of it today and try and get one of all the kitties playing in it but Ill show you all the damage done to the jungle.

*Add another branch off the tree.......Gigi is doing her Queen Jungle Butt calls and gradually climbing up the tree to play with Bacon!!!!!!*

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to chuckle...that reminds me of my last group of cats I had many years ago. They were very good around the tree during the day, BUT at night I would lay in bed and hear one ornament after another hit the floor. It was a small artificial tree so I just began picking it up and sticking it in the closet at night.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Too funny!

After finding Holly sleeping in the artificial tree- I thought for sure we'd have a battle on our hands. That she'd be scaling the tree every chance she got.

Well- besides knocking a couple of ornaments off, and trying to nibble on the lights, AND chasing Sneaky Pie around the tree- Holly's pretty much just left it alone. Maybe b/c there's water at the bottom of the real tree. Maybe Sneaky Pie is a far better toy than the tree is. I just don't know. I'm still not putting any ornaments that can't be replaced on either tree.

The toy she liked yesterday was the cardboard pull tab from a flat-rate postal box. She carried it around in her mouth for 2 HOURS. Then she'd get it stuck under the dryer and look at it pitifully until someone got her "prey" unstuck

You should have seen Sneaky Pie trying to squeeze all of her 11 lb "roundness" into this tiny box

Cheryl

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our boys leave the tree alone, for the most part. But that's probably because it's real and it pokes, lol. Every once in a while one of them will have sap on their back, but we can usually help them out with a damn rag.

My parents cats, on the other hand, cannot leave their tree alone. But their tree is fake.

I think real trees can be deterrents for cats, lol.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents have a new kitty this year, Snooki
, and he is a wild man so when I put the ornaments on the tree I made sure it was only the non-breakable ones

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mollipop just knows that it's a tree full of cat toys.

I've lost count of how many ornaments Jamie has wrecked, but I buy some new ones every year (all "unbreakable"), because he "untrims" the tree every night. He's also been through about four strings of lights, so they were just replaced with wireless ones.

We've also had an artificial tree for the past couple of years because he wouldn't stay out of the real ones.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

And once an ornament is off the tree, we don't put it back on for the rest of the season. We put it in a box and, at the end of the season, we count them. I have a sneaky feeling that we're going to have a lot of ornaments in that box this year!
We should start a pool on how many will be in there.
I'm wondering if Mollipop won't "detrim" the entire tree for you. Hope the timing works out, and there's still a few left on there for Christmas!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're brave putting up ornaments on the tree. We didn't dare. We've got the tree up and lights from the top to 1/2 way down. We don't trust our 2 kittens

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boundary, people! That is the answer! (at least with mine) Yes, it stinks your house up for a few minutes but it evaporates after that. If you can handle the stinky smell for a short period of time, it helps the kitty to understand that this is NOT a tree to climb, chew, play with, etc. With kittens, it may take a few applications, but they do eventually learn, as long as you spray it consistently every few hours, or at least in the morning and a few times at night. But there will still be a few ornaments broken. That's the price we pay for having cats.

That being said, how to I keep the dogs from breaking ornaments? Tell me how to control the wagging tail of a Chocolate Lab??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly little Mollipop!!!
Jake is just as bad, so no tree at my house

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our 3 kittens are luckily the only ones of the 9 that like to jump into the tree. Unfortunately, they LOVE jumping into the tree. Especially Billy! For a blind kitty he sure finds his way around. He will climb up to about 3/4 a way up it and play with ornaments until they fall to the waiting Joey and Toby who then play with them and scatter them throughout the house.
Usually Billy will realize he is stuck and coo until we come get him which is super cute...but aftetr the 5th time I have to go get him it gets old.
Today we took a video of him in the tree playing with an ornament and uploaded it to facebook so our friends could see our awesome blind kitty. Toby used to climb into the tree until it was decorated and now he for the most part stays away.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Last year I decorated the tree with the rosettes (ribbons) my cats had won at cat shows. Funny thing, they didn't pull any of them off.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am about to commence tree decorating... so I may have some G-cat shenanigans to add a bit later on.

Oh... gotta edit my post already. I was putting up lights, and looked at the floor behind the tree and found a whole branch on the floor!!

Now I know it wasn't BF, and it wasn't me, so... she's starting already, and I don't have anything on it yet!