Efficient way to scoop the litter box?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry. I don't know if you were interpreting my post as mean, but I didn't intend it to be. I have a 1 year old cat now, and it's really hard to maintain the kind of play schedule and energy he needs. I wish I had another young cat to play with him. I think he grew up an only cat, and he really doesn't realize when he's playing too hard and hurting me. I wanted to let you know that this can be an issue with raising an only kitten, so you might choose to keep two or at least be aware of what might happen.
Umm no it wasn't directed at you, I just don't like posts like "Are you sure you want to keep the cat/s", "why don't you give them to someone else" etc cause obviously if I didn't want a cat I wouldn't have let any in my house, let alone spend money to buy them a litter box, litter, food, toys etc. And I wouldn't have been on this forum. Those comments are just rude and do not help my case or the topic.

I am aware of the boredom etc and I have plenty of time to play with the cat, even if I only keep one. I am gaining some experience while trying to entertain the mother cat, she doesn't treat her babies as fun to be with so I have to do something to keep her entertained. As for the hurting part while playing, I believe it's individual. Two of the kittens try to scratch and bite whenever I touch them, the 3rd won't put a paw on me (the one that is going to another family). And they're only 4 weeks old. Wonder what they will do when they grow up :p

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What I think is they are concern for you and the cats. Don't think anyone is targeting you or the cats and probably it's just s question in concern. Do not take it to heart.

Maybe it's a good thing if you let the kittens stay with the mother till they are weaned off. This way the mother will teach them.

My cat was found when he was 3 weeks old and abandoned and abused too and now at 6 months old is also still biting my hands and ankles. I take this as play aggression but I'm living with it because it's not his fault to do that to me. I was hoping to have a sweet cat, which most of the times he is, except when he is in the biting mode at random times.

4 weeks is too early for the kitten to leave their mothers. For me it's no choice. My cat was found all by himself.

Maybe some others with more experience can guide you. Hope it all goes well with you and your kitties.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Umm no it wasn't directed at you, I just don't like posts like "Are you sure you want to keep the cat/s", "why don't you give them to someone else" etc cause obviously if I didn't want a cat I wouldn't have let any in my house, let alone spend money to buy them a litter box, litter, food, toys etc. And I wouldn't have been on this forum. Those comments are just rude and do not help my case or the topic.

I am aware of the boredom etc and I have plenty of time to play with the cat, even if I only keep one. I am gaining some experience while trying to entertain the mother cat, she doesn't treat her babies as fun to be with so I have to do something to keep her entertained. As for the hurting part while playing, I believe it's individual. Two of the kittens try to scratch and bite whenever I touch them, the 3rd won't put a paw on me (the one that is going to another family). And they're only 4 weeks old. Wonder what they will do when they grow up :p
Ah, then it was directed at me. I was not being rude. I was picking up on your stress and anxiety about wasting cat litter and spending money on cat necessities. It will get somewhat cheaper with one cat, but not too terribly much. You've done an amazing thing for this cat family; no one is questioning that. I was only questioning whether keeping a cat was what you wanted, based on your first posts. It sounds like it is, from the above.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Generally speaking, the finer the grains of cat litter, the smaller the clumps, so you could end up spending less on cat litter in the long run when buying a finer, more expensive brand. Often that type of cat litter is labeled "ultra".

Some people use chicken feed as cat litter. That might be a cheaper and more readily available alternative for you:

[thread="130687"][/thread]
[thread="158707"][/thread]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will check those options. I've also read about corn being used as cat litter, is that a special type of litter or do people simply use corn from the fields? Cause corn is extremely cheap here and if it works as litter I could buy tons in late summer for almost free.

The vet where I bought this litter didn't have any other type without perfumes but I've seen the facebook sites of other pet stores and they had different types of litter, so I will check for that ultra type. The one I am currently using is very basic.

I will also check about chicken feed, I'm not sure how much it costs but it shouldn't be expensive with so many farms around. Well it depends if they import it, but still I got some farmer friends who I can ask.

Thanks again :)