Eat it or throw it out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I ask is because my BIL, who is madly in love with his 3 cats (his wife calls them his "other wives"), thought I was crazy when I told him that I had cooked and eaten some tater tots after Nathan had licked them (I left the pan with the frozen tater tots on it sitting on the counter while the oven preheated, and well...). My BIL said he wouldn't eat anything his cats had licked.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People let dogs lick their faces and share their food, and dogs lick their bums, too, so why not share your food with your kitty?

Ginger and I like to share popsicles.

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

People let dogs lick their faces and share their food, and dogs lick their bums, too, so why not share your food with your kitty?
Plus I wouldn't want to waste the food. So kitty licked it? So what? I found it weird that my BIL was so vehement about this...

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just last night I sat my dinner plate down for a second and when I turned around Anya was on the table licking my macaroni and cheese.

I ate it. Why waste food? And she licks my face all the time anyway so what's the difference? Now I wouldn't do it with anyone ELSE'S cat, but my kitty is fine.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep... I'd eat it too.
Having 9 of them it's pretty hard to keep them out of at least trying. Mia's new favorite thing is the ice cubes in my drink.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm iffy about this....I'd eat anything Twitch, Lily, or Damita licked, but I wouldn't eat anything Chico licked. He likes to lick his poop after he goes(before he buries it) & that just turns me off..

Ophelia doesn't share food well, so she is never around me when I eat(for my safety), so I don't know. I would probably eat anything after she licked it.

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I wouldn't eat anything Chico licked. He likes to lick his poop after he goes(before he buries it) & that just turns me off..
Yeah, I'd say I'd definitely draw the line there too...

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I think nothing of it and go on about eating...if my girls will let me.
Ha! I have trouble keeping our kitten away from food and as I'm notoriously tight (ie cheap- not wanting to spend money) I'd carry on eating

That said, I might remove kitten from room as he will just hound me until he gets more and often such food is not good for a young kitty

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd cut a bit off where it had been eaten if it was a suitable food but otherwise I'd just eat it! Depends how much I wanted it, I guess. Mosi recently helped himself to some beaten eggs I was about to scramble and as I didn't have any more and was rushed for time I just continued to cook and eat them.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just eat it, but Scot thinks that's gross. I'll also share a glass of water with them. Yesterday, Prego took a drink of my grape juice, but I don't let him do that (he snuck it). I don't think that much sugar would be good for him.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't eat it. I go to great lengths to make sure she doesn't get at my food. Usually I let her lick the plate when I'm done or have a little on my finger.

I don't share food with anyone though. Maybe I'm weird about it.