Earthquake in New Zealand - anyone heard from Kellye?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a relief to hear from Kellye. It's amazing the support we have had from our allies - US, Canada, Australia and that's just the beginning. Absolutely amazing. There's still over 220 people trapped in those collapsed buildings. I pray those people will be rescued alive!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christchurch (and New Zealand in general) has one big problem. Traditionally, the US sends in a fleet of ships, including at least one aircraft carrier, to provide emergency electrical power, hospitals, food, etc., to a disaster-stricken area. They did it after the huge tsunami, and they did it in Haiti.

However, New Zealand has banned American Navy ships from its ports for at least the last 30 years in a tiff over nuclear weapons.

By the way, here is a chilling video of the immediate aftermath of the earthquake. I would guess a significant number of the fatalities were in this one building.

Christchurch after the earthquake

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi guys,

I am here - have managed to escape to Auckland as I was already booked for a work meeting anyway.

The cats are fine, we are fine, however it seems that I have cracked some ribs from being thrown against the door frame while running for cover. It was truly a violent shake.

We still have no power or water but we have wonderful friends who have offered their water, power and flushable toilets!!!!!

I am more worried about those that are trapped in the buildings - still waiting for the names to be released

I had no idea how badly the city was damaged until I came up to Auckland - I had been relying on text messages from a friend up in Auckland.

Things are starting to settle down here now so it is a good thing.

Thanks for all your vibes.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Kellye, it is SO WONDERFUL to hear from you!
I'm so sorry about your ribs....

It's all just so scary!

Continued to you, your family, and especially those still trapped!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I are holding you and all those affected by this terrible disaster near my heart Kellye.

For those still trapped.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue seems to be that the carrier itself is nuclear-powered - but, honestly, I'm so hoping the US has a Nimitz-class carrier handy and will send it over to help provide electricity and potable water. That's one of the reasons I don't begrudge paying my taxes. I understand the concept of being nuclear free - but, I hope we make the offer, and I hope it's accepted.

My prayers for all involved there was a heartbreaking story this morning about a 21 year old student texting her mom after being buried.