Early AM Wake-Up Call(s)

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone know how to stop this behavior? My boy is five but was adopted from a shelter four months ago. He wakes me at almost precisely 2 am each day (although it can be earlier!), by crouching by my face, purring loudly, and then, if I don't wake up, patting my face with his paws. I've tried:

1. Ignoring him. He keeps it up constantly.

2. Pusing him away. He returns and continues.

3. Feeding him. At first this worked, but now he comes back to wake me after he's finished eating! Ironically, if I get up with him, by the time I've had my coffee, he's back to sleep, but, of course, I'm wide awake.
Food isn't the issue because although he prefers wet, he likes Fromm dry, and it's always available to him. He just wants me up!

4. Putting him out of the bedroom. First, I padded my door and woodwork to defend against his assault, but it didn't help. He cries outside the door so piteously and tries to get in that I can't sleep anyway.

5. Delaying him. I've tried ignoring him for an hour or so, thinking that perhas if I were to feed him at 3, then I could gradually re-set his internal clock. That didn't work.

I'd hate to put him out of the bedroom completely because I'd have to confine him to another room (to avoid assaults on my bedroom door), and I think it's good for our relationship to have him sleep with me. But I'm getting desperate from loss of sleep. By the way, if I nap during the day, he'll wake me then, too, unless he himself is sound asleep.

Ideas?

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

Anyone know how to stop this behavior? My boy is five but was adopted from a shelter four months ago. He wakes me at almost precisely 2 am each day (although it can be earlier!), by crouching by my face, purring loudly, and then, if I don't wake up, patting my face with his paws. I've tried:

. . . .

I'd hate to put him out of the bedroom completely because I'd have to confine him to another room (to avoid assaults on my bedroom door), and I think it's good for our relationship to have him sleep with me. But I'm getting desperate from loss of sleep. By the way, if I nap during the day, he'll wake me then, too, unless he himself is sound asleep.

Ideas?
Try what I did. I got an automatic feeder that is on a timer. It wasn't too long that Zane learned that the food would be coming and he didn't have to wake me up. Or, if he did, it would be just for some petting and both of us could go back to sleep.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, that won't work for me because the issue is not food--it's me!

This guy is really odd. First, there's always fresh dry food there for him, so if he's hungry, he can eat. So I assumed that he wanted his wet food (which he prefers), but if I get up to feed him and go back to bed, he will eat, and THEN come and wake me up again. Once I'm fully and definitely awake, he'll take a long nap!

The automatic feeder will never work for me because this guy is particularly strange. For example, if there's some wet food in his dish that's only been there a short time and is still edible, he'll look at it and whine as though he wants fresh food. For a long time, that's what I actually did--replaced the food with fresh. I've since realized that what he REALLY wants is for me to feed him. So if I pick up the dish and stir the food a little and put it right back down, he gobbles it up happily! So I doubt that an automatic feeder will satisfy him.

By the way, when I have to be away for a day (I'm retired, so I'm mostly home), I've found that if I freeze a plate of wet food and put it down as I leave, he loves it! My former cat was the same way. The defrosted food must be especially moist because they seem to love it. I prefer that to an automatic feeder because I'd always worry that it had somehow malfunctioned and the cat wasn't able to get the food. (I know; I'm very neurotic:-)

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys are usually pretty good and don't often wake me up, however it is not uncommon for me to turn over in the morning and have all three of them sitting there staring at me. It sometimes makes you wonder what they are up to or what are they thinking.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

I prefer that to an automatic feeder because I'd always worry that it had somehow malfunctioned and the cat wasn't able to get the food. (I know; I'm very neurotic:-)
Perhaps Zane is unusually strong, but I have found that if he gets really despirate he can push it over and spill the kibble.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Perhaps Zane is unusually strong, but I have found that if he gets really despirate he can push it over and spill the kibble.
Maybe it's because he's angry at the lack of food.

... You don't want to see him when he's angry...