ear infection and lots of wax that just won't go away

maxandmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everyone,
I have a 3 year old kitty named Marty. He had been getting a lot of wax build up in his left ear only. I took him to the vet, who looked at the wax under a microscope and examined him. he said he had a mild ear infection, no mites or anything. actually a yeast infection, which I could tell from the yeasty smell. the vet gave me an ear cleaner (vetoquinol) and ear drops (surolan) and said to use both once a day for a week. went back to the vet a week later and he said the infection was almost gone, but to use the stuff one more week to make sure. did that, and the wax seemed to be gone and the smell was gone completely too, but then the wax just started coming back a week later. his other ear is completely fine, and my other cat doesnt have this either. I have been using the cleaner still every day, but have stopped using the drops after maybe 3-4 weeks. so it has already been more than a month (almost 2) and the wax is still there. I have also read on forums that colloidal silver may help. I have been using that for like a week and it seems that there is slightly less wax, but still not completely gone. but now I think the colloidal silver may have brought the yeast back, because his ear smells again. I figured that's from the colloidal silver, as that is water based and water would cause yeast infection, right? arghhh I donno what else to do, I just want his little ear to be healed. he hates it when I clean it, and whenever I take him to the bathroom to clean it he knows, and he does the sweetest little scared meow every time, it breaks my heart.

I think I will take him back to the vet, but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions or similar things happening to their kitties. my friend told me that sometimes ear infectons can take a long time to go away completely. but I am also worried about using all these medical chemicals on him for a long time. he hasn't been scratching the ear or shaking his head or anything. attaching a pic of the amount of wax that normally comes out of there in one day (sorry for the imagery). it has been slightly less since using colloidal silver, but like I said still kind of a lot of it and definitelly not gone at all. maybe my vet just needs to give me some different meds, but just wanted to see if you guys had any informative things to tell me. thanks in advance!!!

xinghua31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't dig too far into the ear, only use the que-tips on the top parts of the ear. DON'T PUSH IT INTO THE EAR CANAL (the hole!).

I'm also having this issue too btw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxandmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never go into the ear canal! this is all from the outside part that you can see right there before the canal :(

xinghua31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a thread I made, some one mentioned the fact that it could be a certain food that is causing the infection. Something to consider! :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My RB kitty, Callie, used to get horrible ear wax buildup and yeast infections in her ear.  What ended up working best for her was a daily antihistamine and yearly deep ear cleaning (under sedation usually the same time she had her dental) and then treating with this gel-like product in her ears:  http://www.bcpvetpharm.com/news_bcpbnt.html .  The medication is slowly absorbed into the ear over about a 2 week period.  It's kinda icky to deal with initially and the cat doesn't like having it in the ear, but it really works like a charm. 

maxandmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

In a thread I made, some one mentioned the fact that it could be a certain food that is causing the infection. Something to consider! :)
if it was food allergy wouldn't it be in both ears? his other ear is perfectly normal.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a siamese that had food allergies, and sometimes he'd only get an infection in one ear.   The BNP does work quite well for ear infections.  Sometimes frequent cleaning of the ears can cause the cat to build up more wax.

amythyst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also had the same problem with my siamese.  He had a hematoma in his left ear and ever after that, always had problems with his ears.  He always had ear infections and TONS of that black "goop" in his ear.  And it would only ever affect his one ear and not the other.  Nothing ever really cured it, I just had a ritual of laying him down on the bed and pulling out these giant clumps of hard black goo all the time.  We tried ear drops and medications but it would never really heal up completely.

The only conclusion we had was that he had envoironmental allergies.  Steroids helped him some... but we never really figured it out.

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am curious if the vet saw any ear polyps. Growing up my sister brought home a purebred Siamese female whose ears later became exactly like yours, black goop and smelly. One day the vet casually mentioned she had ear polyps. Apparently a common thing in Siamese cats? No vet had ever said that. Later on he said it was due to some kind of virus, a papillomoviirus? I wish then lysine was as widely prescribed. She was a sweet cat, but towards the end of her life nothing we did helped, her ears bled from her scratching and the infections were constant. I've often wondered if lysine would have helped. If I was you, I would at least consider it. Best to you and your kitty!

Edit: I'm not a vet, but in humans vinegar is used to treat fungal infections and HPV. If my cat had persistent problems, I'd consider also using a q tip barely moistened with vinegar on the shell to see if it helps at all, though colloidal silver is also very good. But lysine would be my first choice.

Last edited:

maxandmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am curious if the vet saw any ear polyps. Growing up my sister brought home a purebred Siamese female whose ears later became exactly like yours, black goop and smelly. One day the vet casually mentioned she had ear polyps. Apparently a common thing in Siamese cats? No vet had ever said that. Later on he said it was due to some kind of virus, a papillomoviirus? I wish then lysine was as widely prescribed. She was a sweet cat, but towards the end of her life nothing we did helped, her ears bled from her scratching and the infections were constant. I've often wondered if lysine would have helped. If I was you, I would at least consider it. Best to you and your kitty!

Edit: I'm not a vet, but in humans vinegar is used to treat fungal infections and HPV. If my cat had persistent problems, I'd consider also using a q tip barely moistened with vinegar on the shell to see if it helps at all, though colloidal silver is also very good. But lysine would be my first choice.
I dont think the vet said anything about polyps. he did say he had some white things in there. he obviously didnt call them "things" but I forgot what he called them. I had been cleaning it with colloidal silver and I really think that cut down on the wax, but now the smell is back and I think its from making the ear too moist so the yeast came back. so the last few days I have stopped with the colloidal silver and with the ear cleaner and started just using the medicine drops again. the wax has actually reduced quite a lot, but the smell is still there. So I will try that for a few more days and see what happens. and then I might go talk to the vet first before bringing my kitty, as he really hates riding in the car and gets all scared at at the vet. I did also read that about vinegar. there is some site that actually has a DIY cat ear cleaner that uses vinegar. I might consider that too. thanks for your comment and all the rest of you guys too. I will keep you posted of what happens to little Marty. btw he is a ragdoll kitty :)

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Little white things"?

Sure not ear mites? Is Marty on any kind of topical flea treatment? If not would you consider trying one that can kill ear and other mites ? I just put my kitty on Frontline, I like it. Ps my vet matches catalog prices, many vets do and don't really admit it (wink wink ) . So the Frontline ( hope I'm not violating forum rules by mentioning a brand) came cheap after matching catalog price...like, 1/2 price. Well just thought id mention that.

(Hooray for ragdolls!!! :))

Last edited:

maxandmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah the vet said it's not mites. he looked at the stuff under a microscope and said not mites. so I donno hehe. when I took him in the 2nd time, he said that the "white things" were almost all gone. by the way maybe I should mention that I live in Macau, so the vet's english is definitelly not perfect, he might have even actually said "white things" lol. the medicine ear drops he gave me supposedly cure yeasts, fungi, bacteria and earmites. so that kind of covers it all. I believe it definitelly cured the yeast part in the beginning but maybe there was even 2 kind of infections. I donno, not sure.

Asmakhan474

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everyone,
I have a 3 year old kitty named Marty. He had been getting a lot of wax build up in his left ear only. I took him to the vet, who looked at the wax under a microscope and examined him. he said he had a mild ear infection, no mites or anything. actually a yeast infection, which I could tell from the yeasty smell. the vet gave me an ear cleaner (vetoquinol) and ear drops (surolan) and said to use both once a day for a week. went back to the vet a week later and he said the infection was almost gone, but to use the stuff one more week to make sure. did that, and the wax seemed to be gone and the smell was gone completely too, but then the wax just started coming back a week later. his other ear is completely fine, and my other cat doesnt have this either. I have been using the cleaner still every day, but have stopped using the drops after maybe 3-4 weeks. so it has already been more than a month (almost 2) and the wax is still there. I have also read on forums that colloidal silver may help. I have been using that for like a week and it seems that there is slightly less wax, but still not completely gone. but now I think the colloidal silver may have brought the yeast back, because his ear smells again. I figured that's from the colloidal silver, as that is water based and water would cause yeast infection, right? arghhh I donno what else to do, I just want his little ear to be healed. he hates it when I clean it, and whenever I take him to the bathroom to clean it he knows, and he does the sweetest little scared meow every time, it breaks my heart.

I think I will take him back to the vet, but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions or similar things happening to their kitties. my friend told me that sometimes ear infectons can take a long time to go away completely. but I am also worried about using all these medical chemicals on him for a long time. he hasn't been scratching the ear or shaking his head or anything. attaching a pic of the amount of wax that normally comes out of there in one day (sorry for the imagery). it has been slightly less since using colloidal silver, but like I said still kind of a lot of it and definitelly not gone at all. maybe my vet just needs to give me some different meds, but just wanted to see if you guys had any informative things to tell me. thanks in advance!!!

I have a 4 year old British shorthair and im struggling with same drama. Same yeast or infection or wax or perhaps some other dry back stuff.. I tried so many ear cleaners, drops medications but nothing worked. Finally I just gave up. Last vet said i shouldn't use too much moist in his ear as sometimes we wash off good bacteria that helps in keeping his ear fight bad stuff and fleas and ticks and mites etc. She said he doesn't have mites, she checked in microscope. I wish I find a solution coz he always now runs away when I hold ear cleaner, cotton buds or ear drops. He always know it's coming for him and he will hide somwhere. Ah poor milo. I hate myself for annoying him😔

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a very old thread and those who responded have not been back for quite a while, so I don't think that you will get a reply.