Dying 25 year old cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
What you perceive as getting stuck may have more to do with spasms that can be common during a natural death. I highly doubt she died because she had her claws stuck.

I am beyond sorry you had to witness this.  Understand that death is no easier to bear when they die softly in your arms. No matter how long they live. It's never long enough. Please don't blame yourself. She couldn't have been loved more.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm so sorry. She is at peace now. She is being cared for over at the bridge and she will always love you. @sadDad you shouldn't be alone right now. I hope someone is with you to help you through this. If not, please stay on the board, we are still here for you.

RIP beautiful Kicia. Watch over your dad. He loves you dearly now and always.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise

What you perceive as getting stuck may have more to do with spasms that can be common during a natural death. I highly doubt she died because she had her claws stuck.

I am beyond sorry you had to witness this.  Understand that death is no easier to bear when they die softly in your arms. No matter how long they live. It's never long enough. Please don't blame yourself. She couldn't have been loved more.
It's no easier when they simply drift off to sleep with the help of a kind veterinarian who cared deeply for her all her life, either. Today is the 10th anniversary of my dear sweet Kepler's journey to StarClan and I still miss that little "Peanut".  Each special cat who we are lucky to have in our lives leaves an indelible footprint on our heart. Your Kicia will always be with you in spirit, wherever you go. She will never really be gone as long as she lives on in your memory and in your heart.

Fans of the Warriors  book series know that when a good cat warrior passes away, the cat joins StarClan and spends endless days in StarClan's hunting grounds where there is endless prey, green grass and fine weather. All of the cats who were sick or injured are whole and healthy, their pelts shimmer like stardust.. Each star in what we humans know of as the Milky Way represents a cat who has joined StarClan-- watching down from Silverpelt, and the cats on Earth gaze up at Silverpelt and remember their ancestors and kin and friends who have gone before them.

I like that. And I rather believe that it's true-- God made the Heavens and Earth. He made cats, too. So, it stands to reason that He has a special place in Heaven for them, too... at least, I think so. Silverpelt and StarClan are fitting names for this special place and all the cats who live there.

Kicia's star now shines in StarClan, in Silverpelt. She gazes down on you, too-- her light still shines for as long as you hold her in your heart.

My sincerest condolences. 

~MackieMac

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree.  What looks like she was struggling could have just been the last thing she was doing when she passed.

I am so very sorry.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear this.  Kicia was such a beautiful, cherished girl and I know your heart is broken right now.    It is true about the spasms when they are passing - I'm don't think cats are aware at that point what is happening.   Try not to let this final act spoil all the wonderful memories of the special times you and Kicia shared.  May she come to you in your dreams.  

axis169

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry for your loss! We just lost our two beloved kitties, who were both almost 19 years old, within four months of each other. GiGi passed last October and her brother Romeo at the end of February! They even looked like the same breed as your Kicia (same coats)! While I miss them every day, I often think of the years of joy they brought. Not as if it could cure grief, but a welcome distraction for me and my wife was the adoption of two new kittens. Of course they could never take the exact place of a beloved family member, but the antics of new kittens has got us hopping so much that we don't have the time to cry for too long! It's only a suggestion but one you might want to think over! In any case, you and your loss are in our hearts and prayers!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
S saddad Oh, I am truly sorry! Simple words can't express the sorrow I feel for you. I believe as the others have stated, it seems she just passed as she was climbing on the bed. It just happened to be the last thing she was doing. Her claws simply in the blanket would not have caused her death. None of this is your fault. It was just her time. I am sure she tried to hold on for you, but just couldn't any longer. You were not with her, but I am sure she still felt your presence. She knew how loved she was and how she will be missed. You gave her a great life. You loved her for 25 years and will for the rest of your life. Try to remember all the happy times you and your Kicia shared. I hope that one day you can think of your sweet Kicia with more smiles than tears.
Please update and let us know how you are. I know this is a devastating time, and we are all here for you.
I hope you have a friend or someone you can talk with. This loss can be hard to handle alone.
Just know that I am crying right along with you. A terrible loss!
RIP Sweet Kicia!
You were so loved and will be remembered by so many!
Please let your Dad know that you are okay.
He is so lost without you and loves you so much!!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry that you have lost your beloved cat. Thank you for sharing the story of how you found each other. I know you are in a lot of pain and will miss her so much. You will always miss her but, the day will come when you smile at her memory and gain comfort from that. I hope when that day comes you also smile because you know that she was so lucky to have you, to have this great long life with you, knowing she was loved and cared for.No cat could have had a better life or have been more loved.

Never think you are telling us to much. Most of us have had to say good-bye to a cat ( or more) in our lives. Reading your story touched me so much. I just spent an hour looking at pictures of the cats ( and dogs) I have loved in my life.You take care , give your self a big hug

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes S saddad Please post! We are all very worried and concerned for you.
We know the pain you are feeling and wish to help.
We are all here for you if and when you need us.
Someone is always around, so please update!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saddad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your beautiful words. Thank you for caring.

Unfortunately, there is no doubt about what happened. The position she was in when I found her was truly horrific. I wrapped her in a towel because I couldn't bear to see her anymore, frozen in agony. When I disentangled her she was so light, like she was made out of paper. The irony of it is shocking; everything I did to try and make the transition as peaceful and dignified as possible culminates in her slow, frightening and painful death. I must own that, whether I want to or not.

I am ok. And I am most definitely not ok. I feel a bit sorry for the dude I draw to spar with in the morning, he's in for an ugly surprise, but I gotta work some **** out.

I am going to sleep tonight again on the tile floor, where I would have kept vigil with her as I planned, maybe she will sense me, and forgive me for abandoning her in her time of greatest need. I know that sounds stupid, but it might put my mind a little at rest.

Tomorrow I will find a nice sunny spot in the yard, and bury her. She had a thing for catching moths, I'm going to buy a solar light to put there so she will never be lacking for things to chase in the evening.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, there is no doubt about what happened. The position she was in when I found her was truly horrific. I wrapped her in a towel because I couldn't bear to see her anymore, frozen in agony. When I disentangled her she was so light, like she was made out of paper. The irony of it is shocking; everything I did to try and make the transition as peaceful and dignified as possible culminates in her slow, frightening and painful death. I must own that, whether I want to or not.

I am ok. And I am most definitely not ok. I feel a bit sorry for the dude I draw to spar with in the morning, he's in for an ugly surprise, but I gotta work some **** out.

I am going to sleep tonight again on the tile floor, where I would have kept vigil with her as I planned, maybe she will sense me, and forgive me for abandoning her in her time of greatest need. I know that sounds stupid, but it might put my mind a little at rest.

Tomorrow I will find a nice sunny spot in the yard, and bury her. She had a thing for catching moths, I'm going to buy a solar light to put there so she will never be lacking for things to chase in the evening.
The hardest thing we learn after losing one of our cats. It's not our fault. There is such a need to assign blame in all of us. If only is pointless. I made up Kitten's bed on my puter chair every night for weeks. The hardest life lesson is what we want and what we get are usually two different things. She knows she was loved.

I really like the idea of a solar light to bring her moths. All of Kitten's favorite toys are on a shelf with her ashes. All cats should have their toys. Or moths.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh sweetie. That doesn't mean she suffered. That "grimace" is what happens when rigor mortis sets in. It often looks far worse than what really happened. Please don't do this to yourself. She would not want this to be happening. She'd want you to look back on all the really great times that you shared. All the times she did something silly that made you laugh,all the times you held her, all the times she snuggled with you.

If she was sitting beside you and she could tell you anything, what do you think she'd say? Answer this with your heart and don't let the guilt chime in. Do you know what I think she'd say? She'd say the following:

Thank you for loving me for so long

Thank you for caring for me and making sure I was always happy

Thank you for being the best friend a cat could have

STOP THIS. Stop torturing yourself. It was time. I had to go. I didn't want to leave you but it was time. We will meet again one day, my treasured friend and when we do, it will be as though we never parted.

I Will love you forever just as I know you will love me forever. We have too much history together. Our friendship will never die.

I do not now nor will I ever blame you for my passing. The only thing you are guilty of is loving me. In a perfect world, every cat would have a friend like you

Now from us here at TCS:

We do care and we are going to continue to care. Please let us help you through this. Kicia would want you to be among people who understand. It's going to be tough for a while but we are here for you. Please lean on us.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please, please don't torture yourself. I know just how easy it is to do (I've been through some pretty traumatic deaths myself), but Kicia would never have wanted you to feel this way, and it is all too easy to read too much into situations like this. It's very possible that she wasn't aware of what happened with the bedspread.

Kat0121 Kat0121 hit it right on the head. Kicia died knowing she was loved, and loving you right back. That is what you need to hold on to :hugs:

:rbheart: Rest in peace, Kicia, you gorgeous, special girl :rbheart:
:angel: [emoji]128062[/emoji] :heart3: [emoji]127801[/emoji] :rbheart: [emoji]127801[/emoji] :heart3: [emoji]128062[/emoji] :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.