Dying 25 year old cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some numbers from the petloss website.  Call one or all of them!  Until you get somebody.  At least you can speak to someone on the phone to help you through this.  

http://petloss.com/phones.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saddad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Found one but tomorrow afternoon is the earliest he can come.

She keeps moving off the towels and pillows I put down for her to lay on the cool tile floor.

Should I leave her?

Also, she doesn't respond to my touch. I don't want to disturb her but I don't want her to be alone either.

Should I try to comfort her or just let her be?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will she stay in a crate with the door open?  I think if she wants comforting she will let you know.  Cats typically do like to be alone when they are dying.  I would say stay nearby but let her move where she wants to be and keep an eye on her.  

I hate it that the vet can't come tonight.  

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is unfortunate that the vet cannot come tonight.  If you were to say "pay more"?  That is totally your business only, just saying.  In the meantime, do you have anyone that can come over and be with you?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Here's some numbers from the petloss website.  Call one or all of them!  Until you get somebody.  At least you can speak to someone on the phone to help you through this.  

http://petloss.com/phones.htm
Also these:

http://www.aplb.org/

http://www.petlifeandloss.com/Counseling_and_Consulting/Home.html

She keeps moving off the towels and pillows I put down for her to lay on the cool tile floor.

Should I leave her?

Also, she doesn't respond to my touch. I don't want to disturb her but I don't want her to be alone either.

Are you sure you can't put her into the carrier and take her to a vet? The after hours voicemail message for your vet should have the phone number of who to call for emergencies. If she's feeling unwell and not really responsive she might not complain or fuss if you put her into the carrier. I personally feel that it would be best to have a vet help the cat make the journey to the Rainbow Bridge as soon and as painlessly as possible.

Whatever your decision is, I'm sorry about your cat
Losing a pet to old age or illness is never easy. Many TCS members have been in situations similar to yours so they do understand how you must be feeling.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went and looked at the list and saw @Margd  is here.  Marg, do you have any advice for him?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.   I hate to say it but I think the end is very near.  There really isn't much you can do.  You can stay close to her, it may register that you are nearby.   Many kitties become overstimulated from being touched when they are like this.  

saddad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the replies.

And for your concern.

I will bear this as I have bourn a lifetime of simple tragedies; life is what it is.

I will do what I was born to do; just drive on. Again, I'm sorry for saying too much, but if I let this out in my world I would have to spend the next six months beating people down at PT to regain their trust and respect.

I just want to do everything I can to help this tiny beautiful and impossible creature in any way I can. I just don't know what to do

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Should I leave her?

I am deeply saddened by this thread, it makes my heart ache for you, she has been a huge part of your life, for so long, the good times and bad, every minute there with you, so much comfort they give us, it will be an enormous emptiness and loss for you, no doubt about it, so please, spill your feelings to us, who know so well, and NO MORE apologies for dreading the inevitable.

I would give anything for my love Krissy to stay here in my life for 25 years, yet know it will devastate me just as much then, it's the worst pain we have to endure in life, and there is no way around it, our furry companions have short lives and at some point, we have to say goodbye and let them go.

I'm a strong believer that while her body has grown tired and worn out, her spirit stays with us, and adds to the Universal energy around us.

I also want to say that cats do not fear death as humans do, I take comfort in knowing this, and hope it helps you too.

It is a natural part of living,and when it's time, they know and accept it. 

Make the appt for him to come tmrw, and know this is the best thing for her smooth transition.

Offer the warmth but allow her to choose. Offer your comfort by being there, your voice. 

She knows, and if she could tell you, she would say Dad, it's okay, I will be okay now. Thank you for the best life a cat could ever hope for.

Okay I'm bawling now.

See? You came to the right place.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't try to do this alone.  At least call some of those numbers to talk to somebody, anybody.  Just hearing a voice would help you.  I'm sorry that the people in your world won't allow you to be a human, but we will!  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, a word of advice.  If you have to call out for work tomorrow, only tell them you have a family emergency.  If they ask more, tell them it's confidential.  This is to protect you. They do not need to know who it is!  She is very much your family.  But try telling that to some people who just don't get it.  

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and your beautiful girl.  I went through a similar thing with my Wesley when I had to wait until the next day for the mobile vet to come.  What I did was take my pillow and a blanket out to the living room where he was resting, unable to move, and slept next to him.  Not that I got much sleep.   It's terrible to feel so helpless, knowing they are suffering and there is nothing we can do about it.   I would let your girl just lie where she wants to be and stay nearby.  While many cats do go away to die, I think many appreciate having their person nearby.  If she's up for petting, pet her every once and awhile but mostly just be with her.  That is more comfort than you might think.  

I would also call the grief support lines that have been posted.  And we are here - as others have said, almost everyone here has been through the loss of a precious cat and we know how painful it is.    You need support for you, too.  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful, sweet girl. When Ali Cat was slipping away, he went to a cold part of the house. Mom brought him in to be warmer, but he insisted on going to the cold part. We since learned that's a sign that they are very near the end. It's something instinctive for them apparently.

I would let her be, just let her know you are there, make sure food and water is available. Don't force it, just make it available. And a soft towel or blanket if she wants to go to it. But if she wants the floor, so be it. Sing to her, talk to her, anything to let her know you are there.

Regardless of how old they get, they are never old enough. 10, 15, 25... it hurts just the same. Please know we are all here for you, been through the same thing, in some cases many times over. We completely empathize, and even as I type this, my vision is clouded with tears.

But I agree, call someone to come over, a friend that cares about you. Just because they don't agree with or understand how you feel, doesn't mean they can't respect it. That's the important part.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you are going through this right now. Just stay as close to her as she will allow and talk to her. Not that she needs it, but remind her how much you love her and that everything is going to be all right. Talk to her about all the wonderful times you have shared. I'm sure that there are plenty of those. Maybe she will snuggle on the bed with you. She knows exactly how much you love her and she feels the same way about you. 25 years is a long time for a cat to live. She is so lucky to have someone who loves her so much.

saddad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for posting, it is very difficult for me to admit that this matters so much, I have always been a man's man, but this is tearing me up like nothing else I have ever been through. Thank you for finding those numbers, when things are done I will call because I need to get this out of me, one way or another.

And thank you for offering your hospitality and support for a random dude on the internet. It has renewed my faith in humanity, and I am grateful for that.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodness, I am so sorry. Just stay near her, she knows where you are. In a way I hope she passes peacefully without intervention. 25 years is a long life. My heart aches for you right now, but know you are not alone. We are here for you.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that your friend is passing. I think just being by her is good. She likely knows you are there. I had a dear cat that lived to 19. Twenty five is extraordinary.  But still, one isn't ever ready to let go of a being who has been a part of your life for that long. Given her dislike of going to the vet, the arrangements you've made are the best you can do to make her transition as easy as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.