DUMB THINGS You Thought as a Kid

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I used to think i could fly by jumping off the coffee table with teatowels
I use to think I could jump off our roof holding an umbrella and live. I didn't feel so bad though when my Nan told me that when my father was a boy, she was sitting down having tea with a neighbour and saw first his brother, and then him go downwards in the sitting room window. She didn't think much of it at first but then she did a double take and remembered the sitting room was on the first floor and they had a three story house

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cute thread...

I used to think that your left & right were like compas direction and when you turned around they switched places. It took me awhile to understand how that really worked.

I used to think that the boogey man or other creatures of the night couldn't "get" me if I was completly under the blankets and if I was really scared I'd have my parents pack me in stuffed animals so they could protect me.

I also used to think that there was a big mean dog living in this one particular shadowey corner in my parents room at night. It growled at me and everything.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too thought that if you ate watermelon seeds that you would grow them in your stomach.
I DID jump off a roof thinking I could fly like Mary Poppins with an umbrella... Luckily, I didn't break anything.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought that if you unscrewed your bellybutton your bum would fall off, so I never, EVER poked anyone!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister used to tell me that I was born on a poisonous Hawaiian flower and that my parents adopted me. I believed that too.

I thought a hand would grab me outof the toilet if I didn't get out of the stall fast enough.

I though the drain in the tub would suck me down if I pulled the plug while I was in there.

I have more but I can't think of any yet!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little I used to think that the world was seen in black & white. I remember asking my mom and dad while we were in the car coming back from Grandma's house: "When did the world turn color?".

I can't remember their response but this could be blamed on seeing old black & white movies and thinking that the world used to literally be black & white.

Pretty silly, huh?

Bryan

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I knew how babies were made, I use to be paranoid that one would drop while I was on the toilet. The concern only came about if I was *ahem* err...straining(?) on the toilet. So afterwards I would always check to see if a baby came out.

Also my sister told me that one of the fast food chains got their burger meat from kangaroos...so I NEVER wanted to eat there. I still don't...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I too thought that if you ate watermelon seeds that you would grow them in your stomach.
I DID jump off a roof thinking I could fly like Mary Poppins with an umbrella... Luckily, I didn't break anything.
I tried the Marry Poppins thing too... and believed it until my umbrella flipped one day.

I was always skeptical of the watermellon seeds thing but I did believe that it took gum years to go through you so I never chewed gum... still don't really.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that I would be able to fly if I tried hard enough. That lasted until I was about 10.

I also remember my parents laughing when they overheard me saying to one of my friends 'back when mum and dad were cavemen' - yes, apparently I thought they had been long ago...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I could go down the bathtub drain, because the "Scrubbing Bubbles" bubble guys did!
I also thought that I could see Abraham Lincoln and George Washington peeking out of my closet when the lights were turned out.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason I can't remember any silly things I thought as a child, but I have quite a few that my younger sister thought. Our father has always been a real joker and my sister believed pretty much everything he told her, no matter how bizarre or unreasonable it was.

Things my little sister believed:

* her dead goldfish Ginger, who had been flushed, would come up and bite her on the bum when she used the toilet

* furthermore, Ginger jumped out of her bowl because she thought she could fly; our cat did not try to eat her

* guacamole was made from the fruit of the guac tree

* our father was a back-up singer for the Eagles

* white milk came from white cows, chocolate milk came from brown cows, and multi-coloured cows produced a variety of milk

* the monster under the bed can only get you if your feet or hands hang over the sides

Oh, I did remember two things I believed (again, things my father told us): first off, that tornadoes couldn't come into our town because we were surrounded by lakes; and secondly, that even if a tornado did come to our town, our (wood-framed, aluminum-sided) house was stronger than the brick and stone houses on our street and couldn't be torn down.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believed that all mothers had a third eye in the back of their head - this was because my mom said she could see what we were doing when her back was turned!
I also believed the monster under the bed was waiting for toes hanging out.
My brother was totally convinced a dinosaur lived in the stream at the bottom of tha garden and that it would come for him one night.
I searched the garden many times for the fairies I knew were living there.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I believed that all mothers had a third eye in the back of their head - this was because my mom said she could see what we were doing when her back was turned!
I totally believed that too
I'd always jump up on the couch beside my mom and look through her hair to see if i could find that third eye

lets see, i also believed that if i kept sucking my thumb, it would fall off (which by the way, it didn't really stop me
) my grandad tried to tell me that everytime he saw me suck my thumb to stop me.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was young 3 and 4 my grandfather had this old type record player. You used to have to plug it into your tv to get the sound. He had this old record that had some corny song about a sailor looking for his lost Loved named Cindy (my name ) He couldn't find her and the Chous was "Oh Cindy OH cindy My true love lost." I used to beg my grandparents to play it. then every time they did I cried buckets
! I thought there was a man inside the tv looking for me and couldn't find me. I remember promising I won't cry and them giving in playing that dumb record and I'd cry.. I can't recall how many times that happened but it was alot..

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was scared of toilets. I thought they would suck me in.

ETA: My mom told me that when she was younger, she thought cats had eyes in their tails because whenever she'd go to touch a cat's tail, it would move.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no clue how old I was- but we were at my aunt & uncle's house and they had a kitten. I remember he told me that if the kitten bit me my arm would turn green & fall off- so I was so scared of that kitty for the longest time! What a turd he was.... still is too!

I also used to have issues with the toilet but mine were related to snails
We used to have a tank that was over run with snails and my mom would scrape them out of the tank & flush them- I was always afraid that a snail was going to crawl on my bum!

Those are the only two I can think of for now!

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to think that all trucks had to stop at the weigh stations on the freeways. I remember telling my mom I would never drive a truck, because I didn't want to have to get weighed all the time.

BTW I drive a truck these days, still don't want to get weighed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, my husband, as a kid, wouldn't say the star's name of that TV show "Hawaii Five-O" because he thought it was blasphemous (Jack Lord).

Our daughter thought that people on the TV could see you. I found this out when I asked why she was talking to the television!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch