Drool

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,
I sure hope you have some ideas that can help us. For background of our woes, see:

stomatitis + worse.....what to do?

Here's what's going on now:

Bosco was 17 years old, Scout 15 years old. Both developed strange symptoms no vet could diagnose, but seemed related to stomatitis. After vet tests, consultations, reading and deliberation, I had all teeth in both cats removed. Bosco's symptoms were substantially relieved, however he became more feeble in general, and last fall I discovered a lump and grotesque open sore on his underside. The vet said it was probably cancer. It was a heartbreaking decision, but I had him put down.

Scout will be 16 this spring. She was not helped by the removal of teeth. The condition of constant drooling, if anything, has become much worse. It's a gummy, viscous, opaque scout - photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg drool, like long strings of thick snot. She does not clean the drool off her mouth with her paw, but shakes her head, flinging it in every direction. She also no longer grooms herself, or maybe she tried to groom but got the drool stuck in her fur. Her fur is so matted you'd think she had been dipped in shellac. She's not a cat you can bathe, but I've tried brushing her with a warm wet cat brush and baby shampoo and nothing seems to get that gunk out of her fur.

To isolate the flung drool, I keep her in the bathroom and adjoining sunroom. The bathroom cabinets get this gunk flung all over them and nothing removes it but heavy duty scrubbing, which is tragic because they're solid walnut and it's destroying the finish. The floor is spotted with drool and I have to scrub hard to get it off walls. There's even drool gunk flung 4 feet high! And clumps of fur all over because she no longer grooms herself. As soon as I've cleaned, the bathroom is disgusting all over again.

She also makes a mess wherever she eats, dropping her canned food all around the outside of her bowl. And she does not use a litter box, so the tile of the sunroom floor is peed and pooped on. I can't isolate her in the sunroom because it is too cold in there in winter, too hot in summer. I just keep the door from the bathroom propped open so she can eat and poop in the sunroom. But mostly she lives in the bathroom, where she has a nice little kitty bed with a warm and cozy electric throw.

On warm days I put her outside, but bring her in at night. Besides the constant drooling, she seems to have no other physical problems. She goes wandering around like she always did. Given that she seems so otherwise healthy, I don't feel like I can have her put down.

But I'm at my wits end. I can't have people over, the bathroom is so disgusting. I've actually worried about hygiene for myself and my boyfriend.....I'm not sure this situation is healthy for us either. I thought about a pet cage, but don't have space large enough to fit in a litter box and food/water bowls. There'd be no place to put it except the basement, where she would yowl, yowl, yowl because she would feel forgotten and alone.

I'd be asking my vet what to do, but removal of teeth was a last resort as it was. Nobody could diagnose her condition, and I can't spend any more money on vet bills.

I love this cat and don't want to have her put down, but this situation is intolerable and I'm out of ideas. I want my bathroom back. I want to be able to take a nice clean shower like normal people. I'd like to clean up the poop on the sunroom floor once and for all. I'm sorry if I sound shallow. If any of you have suggestions, please let me know.

thank you,

creekgirl

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Creekgirl, I'm sorry to hear about your other cat! From what I am reading, stomatitisincats . com it appears your furbuddy is miserable and in constant pain of the mouth, tongue and throat, --otherwise she'd be able to swallow, groom, and eat without making a mess.

I saw mention of a pain med called Buprenex. I know you said your wallet is drained, but have you had a vet check her mouth lately, or can you try and take a look yourself? Has any pain med been prescribed?
Prednisolone? Lysine?

I think that the condition your cat is in deserves a serious, clear-eyed look - if she's in the kind of pain that the drool would seem to indicate, then...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really, really sounds as if she has something related to the respiratory system going on. SIGH...poor thing, her quality of life isn't very good right now. Have a heart-to-heart with your vet about finding out WHY she is so miserable, mention the litter box issues as well, that can be telling. I know you love her, but I know you don't want her to be hurting and miserable all the time, either. Hugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again.......I just discovered this discussion:

Chronic Drooling in Elderly Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

My situation seems very similar. I wonder what the outcome was for these folks and their cats?

Scout doesn't seem to be in pain, nor does she seem sick or disabled. Outside she wanders around, trots up and down the hill, she can scale a 6 foot stone wall if she feels like it! I'd say for an older cat she's in very good shape. But she does seem annoyed with this drool condition.

Actually, reading online about cat saliva, I'm getting more concerned about myself. I had an eye infection last fall that I now wonder about. And a mild but chronic thing not quite diarrhea, but sort of (I'll spare you the details)......I assumed it was an ongoing low-grade food poisoning from fresh produce or something.

My boyfriend is mildly allergic to cats, and apparently cat allergies are not the fur but the saliva! He's had some worsened problems lately. I'm wondering about that now, too.

I don't think the situation here is very hygenic. Still it would be hard to have a cat put down who is in such fine fiddle.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Furballsmom. She wouldn't let me look in her mouth, but maybe I could wrap her in a towel. What would I need to look for?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You say she is fine as a fiddle but clearly she is not. There might be something else wrong with her like oral cancer. She is a very lovely cat, but she has to be miserable. Cats are very clean as you know and if she can't keep herself clean then..... Is she eating?
I would take that cat back to the vet and have a serious talk with the vet. No one wants to say good bye to their loved ones but if there is no clear answer as to why and no solutions, then you have to do some thinking. I would first try and find out what else is wrong and what can be done. That's not normal. I hope this is something that you can fix or treat.
I'm so very sorry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how she is doing from time to time, and as you get answers. She's a pretty girl. I'd like to see her issues get resolved!