Don't think ill of me ... but...

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Even so, whenever the Ignore button has been used, would you say that an attempt has been made by the user of the button to work things out? Like others have said, if I were offending someone in someway, I'd rather have someone say, hey you're being a punk, can we work this out, rather than dismissing me once and for all and blocking me.

But maybe that's just me.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Sam and Ari, I'd be mortified if I thought I'd upset someone - I certainly wouldn't set out to do so. I'd rather have the chance to try and clear up any misunderstanding.

oooh I'm joining the other paranoid kitties
- hope I haven't upset anybody.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meep!! Guyyyyys!! I feel so bad, It's really just a severe diference of attitude:p

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you have to keep in mind, on the board and even life in general, there are always people who try to attract attention to themselves. Ignoring people like that and not feeding into them is the best way to get them to stop. I considered putting a person on ignore a while back, I didn't have to though because pretty soon everyone else on the board quit giving them attention and quit arguing with them and they just went away.

If the person is doing something that bothers you personally and it truly seems unintentional I would maybe talk to that person, or pm them and try to clear things up, if it's worth it to you.... or just ignore them don't think any more about it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

Meep!! Guyyyyys!! I feel so bad, It's really just a severe diference of attitude:p
Why not try to understand that person instead of blocking him/her out? I would never use the iggy button. I could never be that cold to another person.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OKOKOKOKOKOK

Everyone just chill....

More than likely, if you are concerned enough about offending people to put 1/2 a thought into it, you probably haven't. Unless you're active in IMO, but that's a little different.

Personally, I would love to have an Ignore button in real life. It would make things SO much less stressful!

Regardless, sometimes if there is someone who just gets under your skin no matter what they are talking about, it really is better to just ignore them. That's sometimes hard to do on a message board, you can't just put your fingers in your ears and sing real loud when they talk.
So that's why the Ignore feature is there. More than likely, it's nothing more than a conflict in personalities and as much as we would all like to think that loving cats is enough to bring us together there is still that human factor. Not all humans like each other, it isn't because they are being offensive, it's just that their personalities don't mesh. I'm sure we've all met someone in real life that has just given us bad vibes, or rubbed us the wrong way from the start. I sure know that I have! This board, with almost 8000 members, is a micro-society. It is definitely better to ignore someone than have a flame war when they get under your skin.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

OKOKOKOKOKOK

Everyone just chill....

More than likely, if you are concerned enough about offending people to put 1/2 a thought into it, you probably haven't. Unless you're active in IMO, but that's a little different.

Personally, I would love to have an Ignore button in real life. It would make things SO much less stressful!

Regardless, sometimes if there is someone who just gets under your skin no matter what they are talking about, it really is better to just ignore them. That's sometimes hard to do on a message board, you can't just put your fingers in your ears and sing real loud when they talk.
So that's why the Ignore feature is there. More than likely, it's nothing more than a conflict in personalities and as much as we would all like to think that loving cats is enough to bring us together there is still that human factor. Not all humans like each other, it isn't because they are being offensive, it's just that their personalities don't mesh. I'm sure we've all met someone in real life that has just given us bad vibes, or rubbed us the wrong way from the start. I sure know that I have! This board, with almost 8000 members, is a micro-society. It is definitely better to ignore someone than have a flame war when they get under your skin.
Heidi... 8,000 members is more than a micro-society... thats the population of a small town larger than one I actually lived in when I was very little.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sometimes you might just be tired of someone's posts if they keep bringing up a certain agenda or something. If you approach them about it - all hell will break loose. And since they're not breaking any rules, there's nothing to do about it. We sometimes get such complaints from members. That's when the Ignore feature comes in very handy. If you don't want to - don't use it. There's nothing cold about using it. You really can't and IMO shouldn't approach every person that annoys you - in the real world or here. Sometimes ignoring is a lot friendlier.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question. If one were to be the ignoree, would just their post or the whole thread not be visable to the ignorer? For the record, so far, no one here has irritated me and I hope I haven't irritated anyone else. If I did, it was not intentional. (I wasn't at my computer yesterday - see what I missed)!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
now that I'm experienced. the post is visible, just not what was said.. it says something like XXXX's post has been removed because this person is on ignore, and then has instructions on how to deal with taking them off ignore if that was an accident.

rita

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

now that I'm experienced. the post is visible, just not what was said.. it says something like XXXX's post has been removed because this person is on ignore, and then has instructions on how to deal with taking them off ignore if that was an accident.
Then I would sit there and wonder what stupid things he/she posted now

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do.. :p But it's better than muttering about how idiotic she is when i actually read the posts, lol