Don't know what to do

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mentioned in my intro thread that I am adopting a new cat soon, after she is spayed. Anyway, one of my good friends decided to adopt my new cat's kitten. Since my friend is not local, I went and picked the kitten up at his foster home yesterday and filled out her paperwork from the rescue. I was a little upset to see that the rescue requires all cats to wear a collar with ID and rabies tags - I've never had my cats wear collars and have had ZERO issues with them getting out. Regardless of your feelings on that issue, those are mine (and probably a lot of other people's).

Anyway, I'm upset now. I don't want my new cat to wear a collar, I don't see it as necessary, and I think it distracts from their beauty and even with breakaway collars, they can be dangerous. If I lie on the adoption form, well, I'm lying, and if I don't, they won't adopt to me. And she needs a home badly - she's going to have a hard time finding someone willing to work with her - she's already been returned twice. What would you do?

(I am Facebook friends with her foster mom, so if I put up pictures of her not wearing a collar...I am afraid they will take her back)

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovely2011

I was a little upset to see that the rescue requires all cats to wear a collar with ID and rabies tags - I've never had my cats wear collars and have had ZERO issues with them getting out. Regardless of your feelings on that issue, those are mine (and probably a lot of other people's).
Many rescues require cats to be indoor-only, and/or not be declawed. Those rules are pretty common. Requiring cats to wear a collar and tags is a new one to me. I know you said all cats must wear them, but you might want to clarify that with the rescue. If they don't have an indoor-only requirement, could the collar rule be for cats who may go out?

Anyway, I'm upset now. I don't want my new cat to wear a collar, I don't see it as necessary, and I think it distracts from their beauty and even with breakaway collars, they can be dangerous. If I lie on the adoption form, well, I'm lying, and if I don't, they won't adopt to me.
I'm not a fan of collars myself, so I understand why you're upset. Why not ask about microchipping the cat as an alternative to the collar?

And she needs a home badly - she's going to have a hard time finding someone willing to work with her - she's already been returned twice. What would you do?
I've put in bold letters what would be the clincher for me.

It's difficult to believe that a rescue, especially these days, with large numbers of cats being surrendered, would insist on a rule about collars. Especially for this poor girl who has already been returned twice, it seems to be a foolish requirement.

If you agree to keep her indoors and microchip her, I see no reason why they would refuse to let you adopt her. If they did, I have to admit that I would do what was necessary in order to give her the forever home she needs and deserves. In this case, I believe the importance of that far outweighs the discomfort of not being 100% truthful.

(I am Facebook friends with her foster mom, so if I put up pictures of her not wearing a collar...I am afraid they will take her back)
A zoomed-in head shot of your new kitty with your hands lovingly framed around her face would make a sweet picture and not raise any questions.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you don't think talking to the rescue about it would be successful, I'd just fill out the form. Get a collar/tags, etc. and let her wear it for a couple days. Keep it for trips to the vet, etc. Otherwise, take it off when she's hanging out around the house, etc. If anyone asks, tell them she has a collar and wore it for a couple of days, but that you, nor her, liked it. But, that anytime she goes out of the house, you put it on her, as per rescue rules.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats have usually worn collars all the time. Pumpkin used to take hers off and hide it, but she wore one most of the time.

It's the only way I can find Kairi sometimes. That bell and tag (It's a tag from the insurance company withr his ID number on it for his safety) When he has his rabies vaccine, he'll wear that too.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could the collar just be a requirement if the cat goes outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Many rescues require cats to be indoor-only, and/or not be declawed. Those rules are pretty common. Requiring cats to wear a collar and tags is a new one to me.
That's the weird part. They are ok with indoor-outdoor cats. All other rescues I've dealt with make you agree to indoor only as a condition of adoption. Maybe that's why they have that in there? It's just strange.

Originally Posted by Minka

I'd just put a collar on the cat..
Yeah, see, I just think it's just weird. I've grown up with cats, VERY well cared for cats, and we never did collars. My own cats are well trained not to rush the door, and since we only ever enter/leave through the garage door with the garage door closed, it literally isn't an issue. I guess I didn't realize people did this and I think it bothers me because it implies the cat is going outside - and I am a firm believer of indoor only cats (minus the ferals and such that people take care of - that's another situation).

Originally Posted by My4LLMA

Could the collar just be a requirement if the cat goes outside?
See above. I didn't have to sign saying she'd be indoor only, so maybe that's why.

Anyway, the foster mom appears to be rather militant about collars because she's afraid of her own cats accidentally getting out. I suppose I'll buy my cat one to wear in a few posed pictures, and slowly start blocking her from a lot of the pictures. A pain, but - yeah. I know I can do good things for this poor baby, and I'm not going to lose her over my feelings about collars.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any new cat we get always wears a collar for several months, just in case s/he gets out by mistake. We also get the newcomer microchipped, but a collar will show that your cat is not a stray and may help her get home. Even though your current cats are well-trained, that doesn't mean the new one won't accidently slip out.

It's a temporary safety issue, it shouldn't be a big deal.

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Any new cat we get always wears a collar for several months, just in case s/he gets out by mistake. We also get the newcomer microchipped, but a collar will show that your cat is not a stray and may help her get home. Even though your current cats are well-trained, that doesn't mean the new one won't accidently slip out.
I really don't see how she would. Maybe I'm being naive again, but we have a procedure in place for preventing slip outs. The farthest they could go is the garage...

Just curious, do people actually help out cats with collars? I assume they are outdoor cats and leave them alone. If I see a cat WITHOUT a collar, that's when I get worried. It looks like I have completely different experiences raising cats than everyone else!

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

It's a temporary safety issue, it shouldn't be a big deal.
I'd be ok if it was temporary, but unfortunately it's not. This was a "rest of her life" kind of deal. Honestly, I'm getting angrier and angrier. They require a collar, but allow cats to go to homes where they can be outdoor cats? That's just irresponsible to me. Although I know of two rescues who declaw, so I don't know why I'm surprised.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, people help cats with collars, if they are injured, eating out of dumpsters, obviously hungry or sick, or described as lost (much easier to identify if they still have a collar).

What exactly do you do, besides worry, when you see a cat in need without a collar?

You wrote on another thread that you are moving soon - that's an excellent time for pets to get lost, especially newer ones.

I seriously doubt that someone is going to come into your home in a few years and demand to see that your cat is still wearing a collar, LOL.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really don't see how she would. Maybe I'm being naive again, but we have a procedure in place for preventing slip outs. The farthest they could go is the garage...
But what if you have children over who don't know the procedure? Or friends? Or workmen?
A collar doesn't Hurt the cat, so I don't see why putting one on them is such a big issue, especially when it makes for a good safety net.

Just curious, do people actually help out cats with collars? I assume they are outdoor cats and leave them alone. If I see a cat WITHOUT a collar, that's when I get worried. It looks like I have completely different experiences raising cats than everyone else!
If I saw a cat with a collar on, I'd check to see how far away from home it was and react accordingly. If I see a cat with no collar, there's not too much you can do.

I'd be ok if it was temporary, but unfortunately it's not. This was a "rest of her life" kind of deal. Honestly, I'm getting angrier and angrier. They require a collar, but allow cats to go to homes where they can be outdoor cats? That's just irresponsible to me. Although I know of two rescues who declaw, so I don't know why I'm surprised.
Indoor vs outdoor is a matter of opinion, especially when the safety issue is really a matter of the location of the house. You also have to remember 'outside' can also mean on a leash, or inclosed in the yard using something like Purrfect fence. I think you are worrying too much about this.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor cats wear collars that say "INDOOR CAT" under my phone number. It's a precaution.

I wonder if the rescue would mind if you microchipped the cat rather than collaring it?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

If you don't think talking to the rescue about it would be successful, I'd just fill out the form. Get a collar/tags, etc. and let her wear it for a couple days. Keep it for trips to the vet, etc. Otherwise, take it off when she's hanging out around the house, etc. If anyone asks, tell them she has a collar and wore it for a couple of days, but that you, nor her, liked it. But, that anytime she goes out of the house, you put it on her, as per rescue rules.
That's what I would do, too.

Quite some time ago, I had a collar on my little Yorkie. One afternoon, she just went all crazy freaking spastic in the middle of my living room floor. It was awful. Turns out, the buckle on the collar somehow got snagged on the rug and it panicked her.

I've never put collars on my cats and after that happened, the dog (who weighed less than any of my cats) didn't wear one either.

AC

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eh, I'm reconsidering adopting her now. Most everyone's disagreeing with me on the collar thing, and on another site, I was bashed for feeding dry and canned food. I guess I'm not as good of a cat mom as I thought I was, so I think I'll let someone else take her who can take better care of her.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not disagreeing with you. My cats don't wear collars, and I find it hard to believe a rescue organization would rather force the issue than have a cat not be adopted.

I know folks on here can be... overzealous about some issues, but I hope you still adopt the cat.

PS: My cats eat (inexpensive) canned and dry food, too, and always have. Go with your heart on this one.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just say that the cat WILL wear a collar and adopt her!!!! I have tried many collars with my cats, and they always pull them off, no matter what. I have given up on collars
. I have never heard of a rescue organization requiring a cat to wear a collar. Just say that the cat will!!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Eh, I'm reconsidering adopting her now. Most everyone's disagreeing with me on the collar thing, and on another site, I was bashed for feeding dry and canned food. I guess I'm not as good of a cat mom as I thought I was, so I think I'll let someone else take her who can take better care of her.
oh honey, don't NOT adopt her because of what people say here. There are all different kinds of cat owners here. No one way is "best", it depends on the cat (regardless of what others say). I've fed my cats Friskies and Meow Mix for years. Yes, low quality, but they have been thriving so whatever works for each cats.

Now, one question I have is, if the rescue is insisting on a collar, is she wearing one in the rescue? Have THEY put one on her? If not, then they should if that is "their" requirement. Let them stress her out until she gets used to it if she's never worn one before. Putting a collar on a full grown cat who has never worn one before is a task.....which is why none of our barn cats we have brought in have them. I don't like them either, and no cat of mine will wear one. Of course, all but one are indoor/outdoor cats and they stay close to home. I live on a farm and they all started out as barn cats.

That being said though, if I see a cat show up for the "barn cat buffet" in the morning or evening that actually HAS a collar I will try to get close to it and see if there is a contact number. To me, a cat with a collar is not allowed to roam and therefore someone is missing it. Usually there is no contact info and he/she eats and wanders off.

Actually, ANY animal with a collar around here means it belongs to someone. We actually reunited a Greyhound that got out with an older couple who were beside themselves. She ran through our back yard and was so exhausted at that point she just wanted some water. Turned out when I called the number on her tag (Greyhound rescue) that she had probably run over 20 miles over mountains. I got her owner's number from the rescue and they were in tears to know their baby was safe and sound.

Collars and tags are a good thing because animals, especially cats, will try to get out.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What?!?

Never let anyone make a decision for you, especially a decision about rescuing a cat. NO ONE who responded to your thread would tell you not to adopt this cat. A collar should hardly be the deciding factor as to whether or not you'll save her life.

Though a few members thought putting a collar on her wasn't a big deal, if you take another look, you'll see several people, including me, who understand how you feel about it. There were good suggestions as to how to get around the collar rule. Did you consider those?

What do you care if someone thinks you should or shouldn't put a collar on your cat? Why do you care that someone "bashed" you for feeding dry and wet food (BTW, most of us here on TCS do exactly that)?

Have the strength of your own convictions and do what you think is right.

From what you've told us, this kitty is going to have a very rough time finding another home. Don't let the darn collar stand in your way. Tell the rescue you'll put it on, and then throw it out when you get home if you want. But don't let that cat sit another day in the shelter when you know you have the love and patience to make the difference in her life.

Please.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few questions to think about:

What's the best thing for the cat?

What does the cat think? (Do you believe the cat would rather wear a collar for a while in a loving forever home, or remain homeless)?

Is your bias against collars hurting the cat's future? If so, is your preference against collars worth the cat's life?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just fill out the form, go get the kitty and never look back! None of my cats wear collars, and I strongly believe there is less risk of them getting out of my property than becoming entangled and injuring/killing themselves as they play and explore.

I am friends with a lot of cat breeders, and none of their cats wear collars, nor do they require the buyers of their kittens to wear them. It is a safety issue.

Enjoy your new kitty. Don't sweat the small stuff!

C