Don't know what to do

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
my cat, Monet, HATES the collar.. so I got him microchipped. I hope it's effective as a collar, even though it's not visible. I worry if he gets out, someone takes him home for themselves without checking to see if he's chipped and without trying to find me, his owner. I wish he'd wear a collar for my sanity's sake! Thankfully, Picasso wears a collar, but I plan on getting her chipped as well, just in case the collar breaks off and she looses it.

God forbid they manage to get out!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovely2011

Eh, I'm reconsidering adopting her now. Most everyone's disagreeing with me on the collar thing, and on another site, I was bashed for feeding dry and canned food. I guess I'm not as good of a cat mom as I thought I was, so I think I'll let someone else take her who can take better care of her.
It sounds as though you were visiting a raw feeding forum. Some raw feeders can be rather zealous with regard to how awful commercial food is as opposed to raw food.

Don't take it to heart. Save that poor kitty, lie if you have to about the collar, feed the kitty the best you can afford by reading the labels for ingredients and avoid by-products. I'm sure you'll be a wonderful cat mom because it's obvious you already love this cat. Take her home and enjoy the love she will give you and give her the love she needs and wants.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It sounds as though you were visiting a raw feeding forum. Some raw feeders can be rather zealous with regard to how awful commercial food is as opposed to raw food.

Don't take it to heart. Save that poor kitty, lie if you have to about the collar, feed the kitty the best you can afford by reading the labels for ingredients and avoid by-products. I'm sure you'll be a wonderful cat mom because it's obvious you already love this cat. Take her home and enjoy the love she will give you and give her the love she needs and wants.
ABSOLUTELY!!! I would probably just put on the application that you will use a collar. I can't see them taking back a cat into a shelter for such a seemingly innocuous reason. (unusual, that...to allow indoor/outdoor...are you in the United States? different countries have different feelings about that whole issue)
I hope you adopt the kitty. I'm sure she will love her new home with you!

makeshift heart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This seems a silly argument to me on both sides.

If it's the rescue's requirements, I would just put the collar on the cat and take it off every now and again, and definitely only put it on when the cat is going out to the vet or anywhere away from home with me.

If it's the only way I can get the cat, what's more important here..the cat's safety and health? Or your personal preference on looks.

I personally don't like collars either, but if it's going to get the cat out of a shelter and into my arms, you better believe I'm putting a collar on it.

But if you want an argument, then I would say that yes, I will microchip the animal and I don't want to put a collar on the animal because if my animal gets out..not only is the collar dangerous in the aspect of it getting snagged, but if a predator is after the cat and my cat is trying to hide..the jingling tags will tell the predator exactly where my cat is and ultimately lead my cat right into it's death.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MakeShift Heart

but if a predator is after the cat and my cat is trying to hide..the jingling tags will tell the predator exactly where my cat is and ultimately lead my cat right into it's death.
Exactly...same with those bells they put on collars!