Does This Look Like “pinking Up”? / Kitten Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question about low birthweight kittens survival. Looking for experiences and any useful information to give the babies the best chance at making it.
Yesterday my Persian queen gave birth to 5 gorgeous Persian kittens. Our biggest was 78 grams and our smallest was 66 grams. So far they have put on between 12-22 grams respectively. Mama is doing great and producing lots of milk. The kittens all have nice round full bellies. I know their weight gain is good and they are all very alert and happy to nurse.
I’m just worried that they are more likely to suffer from fading kitten syndrome because of their birthweight. Do they have a good chance of survival because of how well they seem to be gaining? What things should I look out for other than slow weight gain? I will attach some pictures of Pekoe with her babies.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are somewhat premature as their bare legs hints.
But as they gain it sounds hopeful for them.

Is it hot at your place?
Otherwise IR heating lamp is good.

More later.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were born at 63 days. Since it was a planned breeding with a stud I’m very sure of my dates. I was wondering about their legs as well but I’m positive of when she was bred. Her official due date is tomorrow. It’s not particularly warm or cold but they do have a heating pad and mama for warmth they all seem to be staying nice and toasty.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I think we are going to lose baby number 4 it seems to be fluctuating in weight between the same 4 grams for the past 30 hours. It is very sleepy and uninterested in nursing. I also can’t get it to take any formula. It will snuggle into Pekoe and just sleep. I’m absolutely devastated. It was doing so well in the beginning.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a syringe and a cat nipple. He just literally won’t suckle

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet is over an hour away. I don’t know how’s well he would do at 3 days old with no heating pad for a car ride that long. The local vet said its fading kitten syndrome and that it happens and that was it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should discuss the possibility of tube feeding with your vet. It's not hard once someone shows you, but I wouldn't try it without guidance.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ StefanZ that the kittens appear to be a bit premature, as they aren't completely covered with hair. Kittens can be slightly premature at 63 days gestation. Tube feeding is a great suggestion for kittens that have trouble suckling, but it's important to have someone teach you how to do it. Have you spoken with your breeding mentor? Are there any other breeders near you who can come over and help?

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a doctors appointment tomorrow that I absolutely have to go to and I have my mom coming to watch the kittens. When I contacted the emergency vet service they told me to stop tomorrow and grab a tube feeding kit from a vets office. Will they be able to advise me on how to use it? I watched quite a few videos on how to do it as well. I’m willing to do anything to save this little baby!
The emergency vet service also told me to give drops of pedialyte into the kittens cheek off and on through the night and see if that helps. So I’ve done that a couple of times now ad have set alarms to wake me up so I can continue to administer it.
My breeding mentor lives quite a ways away but she seems to be against tube feeding due to a high risk of getting it in the lungs ? She did say the pedialyte was also a good idea for the time being.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tube feeding is dangerous if you dont know how. That is why its important to be shown by someone experienced in this - and have proper gears.
But as such its much safer than most other handfeedings...

Look pn youtube, google and read descriptions... if you dont have someone to instruct you (some vets cant) - this may be enough.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree re this pedialyte. Be sure its containing glucose sugar. You see on the label content.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s still alive but he’s not doing any better, now he barely moves when I pick him up and he’s making no sounds. He’s cold even on the heating pad or when I put him in my shirt with a blanket over us I’m absolutely devastated.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear your kitten is not doing well. Sometimes there is not much we can do to save a kitten. With low birth weight and/or premature kittens, you never know if they will survive, so don't blame yourself. Are the other kittens still doing well, I hope?

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought him into the vet this morning and the vet said that they could do a tirade of tests but might not find out what the underlying cause is. They also said I did everything I could and they suggested just leaving him with mom and continuing the treatment. Unfortunately he passed away this afternoon :,( The other kittens and mama are all doing very well, active, alert and gaining 10-16 grams every 24 hours.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost the kitten, but it's great that the others are doing well! Don't blame yourself, it sounds like you took good care of him and he may just not have started out strong enough to survive. Sometimes there is not much we can do for a little one.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I really did love him even though he was only alive for such a short time. If I thought there was anything else I could have done I most definitely would have. We buried him in a blanket, in a box, under a tree my son planted in the back yard last year. He will rest peacefully there and we will never forget him.
I’ve attached a picture of the rest of the litter. They are getting so chubby and are definitely doing wonderful

Attachments

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The remaining 4 babies have all doubled their birth weights and are doing extremely well :) At this point I believe we have 2 boys and 2 girls! Our biggest, who I believe is a girl has put on almost 100 grams. A big deal for a kitten who’s starting weight was 78 grams.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! Feel free to post more pictures as they grow :)