Does This Look Like “pinking Up”? / Kitten Questions

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone I’m a first time Persian breeder starting my Cattery. My tortie girl Pekoe bred with an odd eyed white male 2.5 weeks ago. The male belongs to a fellow breeder and my mentor throughout this process. I have sent a picture along with my question on to her but I figured I would ask here while I await her response.
Does it look like my girls nipples are “pinking up”? I know it might be a little early but I thought I would check them out today.
Just a bit of background my girl is 2.5 years old and this will be her first litter I’ve had her since she was a kitten.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Usually you can start to notice “pinking up” about 2-3 weeks into pregnancy. It’s usually a darker shade of pink than I’m seeing with your girl, but that could change in a few days. Since your cat mated, she is most likely pregnant. Cats are very prolific breeders.

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!! Her nipples are normally very white and flat to her tummy so I was hopeful this was a good sign. I’ll check again in a few days

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just to update they appear to be getting darker is it safe to say she’s pregnant? She would be 19 days from the first mating.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I have a 2.5 year old female Persian pregnant with her first litter. She’s just over 3 weeks pregnant. This morning she threw up her breakfast right after eating but she has eaten and kept food down since, no issues using the bathroom etc. The thing is she had been walking around meowing a lot since this afternoon. She will come for pets and loving and she is always purring when I’m near by but I’m just wondering if the meowing is normal? Everything on google says labour but that’s clearly not the case here. Anyone else have experience with this?

Attachments

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just meant that with her size at this point I’m not expecting a litter of 2 or 3 lol

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's difficult to tell how many kittens a cat will have just from looking at how big she is. I've had girls appear hugely pregnant, with only 2 kittens. An x-ray in late pregnancy (7-8 weeks) is the best way to estimate number of kittens, although it is not completely reliable.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah our vet said that doing an x Ray to determine litter size is a waste of money. But I will be taking her in in a week and a half for him to feel and give me a rough estimate. As of her last appointment he thinks he felt 5 possibly a 6th.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah our vet said that doing an x Ray to determine litter size is a waste of money. But I will be taking her in in a week and a half for him to feel and give me a rough estimate. As of her last appointment he thinks he felt 5 possibly a 6th.
Has your vet worked with breeders before? Palpating isn't a very accurate way to determine number of kittens, although some vets have lots of experience working with breeders and are better at palpating... X-ray is generally the most accurate.
Here's a good summary of methods of pregnancy diagnosis in cats:
Cat Pregnancy Diagnosis - A Complete Veterinary Guide.

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has your vet worked with breeders before? Palpating isn't a very accurate way to determine number of kittens, although some vets have lots of experience working with breeders and are better at palpating... X-ray is generally the most accurate.
Here's a good summary of methods of pregnancy diagnosis in cats:
Cat Pregnancy Diagnosis - A Complete Veterinary Guide.
Yes ! My vets wife is actually a bengal breeder

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! It's hard to find a vet that has a lot of experience with breeders nowadays,

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really is. I drive almost an hour each way to get to my vet because he’s wonderful! He’s always so good with my cats, he loves my Persians because he says they’re so much more docile than his bengals LOL but he’s always been right on the money with any problems I’ve gone in with and his prices are great. He has a separate waiting area and exam room for cats so that they don’t smell or hear dogs and get scared. He treats your pets like they’re his!

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just another update!! Pekoe is on day 59 today she let me feel the babies moving for the first time. What an amazing experience ❤
She has had diarrhea for the past few days. I think it’s because of the new salmon wet food flavour I had to buy when they were out of her regular chicken. She still has an appetite and is drinking like normal. She has been cleaning herself a lot more often since yesterday and as a result threw up a hairball this morning. I called the vet but they said as long as she’s not showing any other signs of illness she should be fine and there’s no need to bring her in.
I think she might end up in labour before her due date. She has had some discharge, no smell or colour to it and she is very clingy. Just constantly purring and wanting to be close to me. I’ve set up a playpen for her with a heating pad and blankets but other than checking it out she doesn’t want to be away from away me. At this point I think she might just give birth wherever I am at that moment LOL

Attachments

MoonCloudCattery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes!!! Yesterday Pekoe had a beautiful litter of 5 :) they were all born pretty low weight but they have all gained really well so far and are all into a normal weight range now. Number 5 was a surprise coming 5.5 hours after number 4 but they are all doing great and Pekoe is a wonderful mommy !!

Attachments