Does My Resident Cat Like The New Kitten?

Jdkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got Ziggy who is 3 years old over 4 months ago and she has been a dream cat. She's super cuddly, the right amount of playful and all around sweetheart. Since we have gotten her she has put on quite a lot of weight and meows at us to play in the middle of the night. We don't have a large outdoor area for her to roam so we were worried she wasn't getting enough exercise or entertainment. Our brilliant plan was to purchase a kitten as a companion.

We chose a 4 month female kitten who was a little older so not too hyper and picked her as she reminder us of Ziggy's relaxed cuddly nature. We named her Miso and brought her home. Initially we kept them separate and swapped scents and we came across no issues there. We moved on to meetings with a barrier separating them and Ziggy would hiss at the mere sight of her, Miso however was happy as can be a continued to play and be affectionate. During this introductory time Ziggy was very distant and only was affectionate when she knew the kitten was locked away. Over time the hissing and growling lessened and about a week in we decided it was ok to let them meet.

Ziggy has been nervous ever since and much less affectionate, she prefers to spend her time outside where Miso can't go. It was been another week of this and she is slowly becoming a little more affectionate and the two of them have started chasing each other around the apartment. I am glad she is getting the exercise now but I am not sure if Ziggy likes it. She does chase Miso back but if they come in contact she will still sometimes hiss and growl. Soon after these chasing sessions Ziggy goes to the door wanting to be let out.

Is she enjoying the company? She is engaging in chase sessions and no damage is being done however the occasional hisses and growls and her wanting to leave the apartment makes me think she is more annoyed than engaging in play. Sometimes a little growl is still let out if Miso wanders too close to where she is however if sufficiently distracted they can occupy the same chair with no issues.

Changes happen every day but I don't want to let this chasing continue if Ziggy is only learning to see Miso as a bother and not a playmate. Is this chasing a good thing or a bad thing? My dream is one day to catch them grooming each other, is this likely with how the relationship is going at the moment? Also will Ziggy come around to being her fully affectionate self again? It has been 2 and a half weeks so far and I know its quite soon to tell but any indication or comparable situations would ease my mind.

* pic is of the first time I got them on the same chair with no hassle
miso and ziggy.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its still early days, 2 and half weeks is no time but it sounds as if they are doing well together. It might help if you teach them to play together, find a toy they both like and play with one whilst the other watches and vice versa. Sometimes cats need to be taught to play together and thats where you can help. Once they are settled, Ziggy should return to her normal self. Pretty cats by the way.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think its to early to say anything bad is going on. It sounds like to me they are doing quite well. I would let them alone to work it out. If there is no blood, no fur flying, and no one seems to be over the top nervous or afraid, hiding, not eating not using the litter box i think they will be fine. It can take several weeks, or even months for cats to decide they like each other :)

I would give the pretty girls some more time to work it out between themselves :)

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
6CF423FD-E126-456D-A19D-55BD6B54FA71.jpeg
My cats took a couple of weeks to become best friends. Before that, there was hissing, chasing, and even blood (although I followed the protocol as perfectly as I could manage!). Then one day, I was sitting on the sofa patting my new kitten while my older cat watched. The kitten was peaceful and the older cat just jumped up with us and started grooming her! Now they’re inseparable. I think sometimes it helps if your first cat sees you peacefully interacting with the new one. Good luck!!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your guys seem to be interacting nicely, or nice enough for now. Ziggy probably seems aloof because he is vigilant about an invader in her territory. As they get used to each other, she should relax and get her personality back.

My guys chased, wrestled and "fought", a lot, nearly constantly at first, and the resident cat, Duncan (the orange and white), harassed the new guy, Barry, quite a bit. No real fights, but no harmony for a while. Peace and quiet and love will come slowly but it should get there.

After 9 months:

And after 13 months. Duncan fought a valiant but losing effort to keep our bed as his last piece of turf. He lost. At first it was for just a second as Barry would hop up and off, then a short nap, to a total and crushing defeat - Barry is in the bed every night:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: It hasn't been long that Ziggy has had her new little sibling, so it may all still work out. The fact that they were on a chair together, is a good sign, I would think. Remember Miso is still a kitten, and Ziggy a grown up, so Miso will always want to play more. Hopefully once Miso grows up, and settles down, they will become best buds. :catlove: