Does Cerenia need weaning?

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Molly has mild pancreatitis and her flare up ceased so vet said we can stop the cerenia to see how she does but didn’t mention weaning her off . We use the transdermal cream on her ear if that makes a difference . Anyone else have experience with stopping cerenia?
Thanks!
5BF793AC-0A2C-4CB8-A573-E6BAF56C23BC.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the information from the manufacturer on Cerenia:

Doctor's prescribing information:

Those second and third links are pretty technical. They might seem confusing but, if you call your vet, they can explain.
It would be helpful to have the prescribing information on-hand if you do call so you can ask intelligent questions.

From my quick skim, it seems like Cerenia is kinda-sorta like Dramamine. No, it's not just another name for Dramamine. It's made by a different company and has a different formula but it is given for similar reasons.

From that, I don't see any reason why Cerenia needs to be withdrawn slowly. It says that the drug only lasts for approx. 24 hours after administering. However, if you feel the need to wean off, I don't see why you couldn't.

Still... Call your vet. This is why they get paid. ;)

• Purraise
Reactions: mnm

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had to wean a cat off Cerenia. It's not a steroid so there isn't any weaning you need to do. You can call the vet and ask just to be sure.

• Purraise
Reactions: mnm
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses! I feel the vet surely would have told us if we needed to wean and I had planned on just stopping until I saw someone on a Facebook page mentioned they just weaned their cat off Cerenia. I thought that seemed strange .

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that a lot of people use words inappropriately. Sometimes it's for effect. Other times, it's because they don't understand the connotations of the words they choose and use them in the wrong way.

In a place where I once worked, somebody said that there was a "riot" in the lobby. I was one of the security guards on duty when the call came over to the radio. Myself and two other guards went running to the lobby, expecting an actual riot when it was only a guy and his wife having an argument about where they parked their car. They were shouting and people were staring but it was not a riot.

We had a "talk" with that employee and told them to be careful how they use the word "riot" so as not to set off alarm bells in a public place.

It might be possible that the person on Facebook used the word "wean" when they simply should have said they stopped using the medicine.

This is one of the reasons why I have zero presence on Facebook. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol so true!!!