does anyone else have cats that come when they're called?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to admit it now, I was never a fan of cats until I actually had one.
In the 15 months that I've had Holland I've learned so much and come to really adore everything about our little feline friends. One thing I always believed was that you couldn't get a cat to come when it's called, but Holland - probably about 95% of the time - will come to me when I call her name. She's the slightest bit bow-legged, and seeing her trot to me is one of the cutest things in the world. Sometimes I call her just so I can see her trot (it's different than the run she does when she's playing...).

Is it just a myth that cats don't come when they're called, or do I have a little exception living with me?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do come to me when I call them. Of course they are usually pretty close at hand anyway.

I'm glad to hear of another convert! I've heard many people say what you did "I never liked cats, until I took in this stray.....
"

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zoey usually wll (as long as she's not otherwise entertained, lol) and Rosalie does about half the time. Although they both come running when they hear me shake their food bowls, LOL!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger comes to me when I call her, but she will ponder on it for a moment giving just enough delay that makes it look like it was her idea the entire time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my adult cats know their names and will at least acknowledge me calling them even if they don't always come (they'll answer or look at me). The kittens don't really care, yet.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mistoflees would. You'd only have to call him once and he'd come sauntering over.

Sneaky will sometimes come to her name. She does come when she hears food in her bowl

Not sure about HollyHeart yet. We've only had her a week and a half. Now she does come running whenever we've been gone and the door opens. She will come running when she hears food going into SNEAKY's bowl

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm glad to hear of another convert! I've heard many people say what you did "I never liked cats, until I took in this stray.....
"
I was always allergic to cats when I was a kid - just cats, not kittens. Well, I've been living in a condo for several years and I really missed having an animal companion, after always having dogs growing up. I could never bring myself to keep a dog indoors all day long and having to live without a yard, so I decided to adopt a kitten. I haven't had a single allergic reaction to her, even since she's been full grown.

And just reading so much about cats has been helpful. Like many people, I always thought cats were aloof and self-centered, not really caring about humans at all. And now here I am, after just over a year, I often wonder what the heck I ever did without her! She is my little love...

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Attitude will most of the time, Nuts looks at me like I'm crazy and usually ignores me.

Taryn

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

If I shake the bottle with brewer's yeast they will both coming charging no matter where they are. Same with opening a can of canned cat food. They could be dead asleep but at either of those noises they are awake and running.

Taryn

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Batman finally knows his name so he will at least look over and acknowledge me. I don't really call him over a lot though. If I need him, I usually will pull out a toy or something. He even runs over when I bring out the nail clippers!

By the way - is your username Mystik Spiral an ode to Trent's band on the Mtv show Daria? I have to ask

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

By the way - is your username Mystik Spiral an ode to Trent's band on the Mtv show Daria? I have to ask
Yes!!
I loved, loved, loved Daria!

I've been using Mystik Spiral as my online handle for years., and it's so rare that people know the connection, that is awesome!

PS - my Holland is a black kitty too... aren't they the greatest?!?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Church comes if I call "Churchie!" and most of the cats come if I call "Kitties!" Also if I call the name of any of my 1-year-old littermates, all the littermates come over.
Church learned his name because I used to give him these lysine supplements that were in a chew form which he loved. He would come running whenever I opened the drawer where I kept them so I started calling his name when I opened the drawer and then he would come if I called "Churchie" whether I opened the drawer or not.

I also have a cat who plays fetch.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Yes!!
I loved, loved, loved Daria!

I've been using Mystik Spiral as my online handle for years., and it's so rare that people know the connection, that is awesome!

PS - my Holland is a black kitty too... aren't they the greatest?!?
Sweeet!!!!
Very nice!!! I loved that show too!!! Some of my friends dressed up as Jane and Daria this past year for Halloween! Not everyone they were with got it apparently.

Black cats rule!!!!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Jane. I was never very artistic, but other than that I could swear she was me in cartoon form... So cynical...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Almost all of my kitties come when I call them but they come even faster when I shake the treat container.
Mine too. They definitely recognize their names and know when we're talking about them too.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Storm comes about 90% of the time if I call. But one shake of the 'cookie' jar and she'll come running.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
The formerly stray cat we named "Gray" comes when I call.

Our inside cats know their names, but aren't so compliant unless they know food is the reason for the call.