Does anyone actually read other people's posts?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something weird happened there.

I just saw a whole bunch of posts that I would have sworn weren't there 3 minutes ago, but the timeline doesn't match.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did NOT read all the replies to this thread. I usually do though.

I would like to say that as a new person, it's okay and preferable to me when more than one person says the same thing. The advice is reassuring to have others chime in with similar advice. Please don't NOT respond just because someone's said what you were going to say.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I quote a lot (possibly more than most members). However, I think that this makes everything so much clearer if you responding to a particular post or idea in a post.
i agree!
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I read every post before replying. It bothers me when the OP says something to the effect that their neutered male cat has been spraying and several posts later someone asks if the cat is neutered. Duh - didn't the OP just say that!

I also don't post just for the sake of posting. If I don't have anything positive or different to suggest, then I don't post and that would be difficult to decide if I hadn't read the other posts.

I also have noticed that by the time I've typed a reply and submitted it, that 2 or sometimes more folks have posted in the meantime.
that bugs me, too. & i get caught when i'm at work - i'll start a reply, have some kids come in, work with them, come back & finish my reply, then found that someone else has already said that. i tend to edit when that happens...
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I do read all the posts, because it helps to get an idea of what suggestions have been put forth already. However, I often begin to type, get distracted, finish the post, only to find mine after 3 or 4 that were typed at the same time.
exactly what happens to me - often. i did read all of these before crafting this reply!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly can't say I read all the posts all the time. I would love to but sometimes I'm pressed for time and just respond after reading a few and having a general idea of what is going on. I also have a very short attention span so if a post is extremely long I might skip over it, unless it's something I'm really interested in or if it's something important.

I don't feel the need to respond to every post, as I'm sure you can tell by my amount of posts here, but I don't see anything wrong with someone who does and has the time to repsond more, I think that's their perogative if that's what they wish to do. Everyone is different.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

It also bothers me when some people on here are so closed minded that they immediately start to chew on people about declawing, or other issues, without taking the time to learn the entire story and circumstances. I think TCS loses a lot of new members this way, and I believe a more positive approach to these issues would be a much better way of educating people.
Very well said!!!! I agree, I have seenthis way to many times! I am ani-declaw and all, don't get me wrong, but telling someone off isn't the way to 'open their eyes' to the problem.

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm totally guilty of this... I try to read as much of the thread as possible.. definately the first page.. and the last few posts... but I dont have the attention span or the patience, no matter how interesting the topic, to read the whole thread if it's more than 2 pages... which is why Im so confused by the post above me... when did this thread turn towards a discussion of declawing?? LOL jk

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

I would like to say that as a new person, it's okay and preferable to me when more than one person says the same thing. The advice is reassuring to have others chime in with similar advice. Please don't NOT respond just because someone's said what you were going to say.
I agree. I think most threads are started to get feed back & opinions. And more than 1 person can think or feel the same way. Why should someone not be able to share their opinion just because another person said they feel that way? I often do agree with other members, and if I didn't post when I agreed with them, then I'd almost never post at all. And the same would be true if everyone followed suit. Then there wouldn't be many posts to read. That being said, I do read every post if I post in the thread. I start with the OP, and if it is interesting to me I read onto all the posts and if I feel like sharing my thoughts I put in my 2 cents. I also try to start with "I agree with the other posters". I also start to reply, and then 2 people stop at my desk so I minimize it, and go back later, realizing that 10 people have posted since I had my screen opened last. I love TCS, and I spend most of my day at work logged in, so I'm sure I post more than others. It's an awesome site, and the people are really great, so I like chatting back & forth with them in the threads, it makes my day go faster.

It does get a little annoying when people don't read the entire posts and post something that doesn't pertain. Like saying your grandma's cat is declawed, and they get 10
smilies & messages about not declawing. I think "hello, it's her grandma, there's no need to attack her". And I have seen where it almost looks like the newbie is being attacked with mean smilies and comments, when sometimes they are looking for info. I have been against declawing for different reasons, I didn't know that it amputated the knuckle of the cat. 30yrs ago it was the norm, so when I told the vet at her 1st checkup we may not keep LuckyGirl if she tries to destroy our home, she said there were many options out there to work on this behavior, and as a last resort there was declawing, after all options were exhausted, instead of giving her to a shelter. So if someone posts about this, I just share my story of my childhood cat who got out & got attacked while she was declawed, and then share my wonderful thoughts on soft claws with the link. I agree that it would've definately scared me off if everyone was sending me hateful posts, while now I understand how justified & passionate everyone is about it, then, I didn't know and would've felt attacked.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually read all or most of the posts. Not always though. Sometimes I don't have the time or the interest in what everyone has to say! (No offense to anyone). if it is something I am really interested in though I will read all the posts, post, and then as it gathers more posts read all those too!!

I think posting something similar to what someone else said is ok in moderation. A newbie needs 10 people to tell them take the kitty to the vet not 50!
And you can agree with so and so.