Does anyone actually read other people's posts?

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I read every post before replying. It bothers me when the OP says something to the effect that their neutered male cat has been spraying and several posts later someone asks if the cat is neutered. Duh - didn't the OP just say that!
It's even worse when in post one the person points out that their cat is spayed/neutered and then 8 responses pop up telling them that spay/neuter will solve everything they're going through.

Or when the OP has been convinced to take their cat to a vet/neuter their tom/ NOT get their female pregnant for the fun of it and spay her and fifteen posts after they say their cat has been fixed, surgeried, etc. someone pipes up with "YOU SHOULD GET IT FIXED/VETTED!!! OMG!!!!!IRRESPONSIBLE!!! WHY DO YOU HAVE A CAT! YOU CLEARLY DON'T DESERVE THEM!!!
"

You'd think that not everyone would have a cat between them and the monitor at posting time, IMO.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I normally read every post before replying. As others have said, when I am reading a thread in one of our Health forums, I will only respond if I feel I have something to add to the thread. If my suggestions have already been said, I do not add to it unless there is reinforcement needed.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

It's even worse when in post one the person points out that their cat is spayed/neutered and then 8 responses pop up telling them that spay/neuter will solve everything they're going through.

Or when the OP has been convinced to take their cat to a vet/neuter their tom/ NOT get their female pregnant for the fun of it and spay her and fifteen posts after they say their cat has been fixed, surgeried, etc. someone pipes up with "YOU SHOULD GET IT FIXED/VETTED!!! OMG!!!!!IRRESPONSIBLE!!! WHY DO YOU HAVE A CAT! YOU CLEARLY DON'T DESERVE THEM!!!
"

You'd think that not everyone would have a cat between them and the monitor at posting time, IMO.
TO go along with that too, it bothers me when someone posts something that this site and many members of it is against (such as declawing for example) and someone will post in the grooming forum about how they got their cat declawed...then like 10 posts pop up chewing the person out for getting their cat declawed. That type of thing only needs to be said by 1 member and 1 moderator NO MORE! Otherwise you lose people and the change to educate them for their next kitty.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

zak&rocky, this is just too funny: "I think you can tell that by my length of membershit vs number of posts" I'm not one to point out typos, but
I didn't see that before.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

TO go along with that too, it bothers me when someone posts something that this site and many members of it is against (such as declawing for example) and someone will post in the grooming forum about how they got their cat declawed...then like 10 posts pop up chewing the person out for getting their cat declawed. That type of thing only needs to be said by 1 member and 1 moderator NO MORE! Otherwise you lose people and the change to educate them for their next kitty.
Not just that, but when people read "declawed cat" and immediately start chewing the person out, only to find out that the person adopted the cat that way. Yes, we're just reading text and people accidentally leave out parts of a story sometimes (some people are just in a hurry/scared (if it's an emergency). happens to all of us), but seriously, assuming the worst and treating the OP hostily based on a guess is not the best way to go.

Most people who declaw aren't grinning while imagining their kitty's future pain. They're usually thinking of their family's cats who were always declawed and how normal it was 30 years ago. They need to be taught that there are alternatives which weren't around then and how unnecessary the procedure is, not berated into angry defense.

(condensed version: I agree.)

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I agree with you, because honestly before I came to this site I had my cats declawed (I didn't come to this site till my cats were 2 years old)...but now after reading all the informative posts I am never going to do it again to any other cat. But If I felt like people were jumping down my throat then I would probably leave the site, and this site has soo much to offer. It would be unfortunate for someone to be "bullied" off this site, because they would miss out on important information.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually read all of the posts in a thread, mostly b/c I'm very interested in people in general and I like to see the different views, but also b/c I have way too much time on my hands to do so!

I'm also one that dosen't post if I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already, or an interesting point to make. Normally I read a lot more than I post. It also bothers me when some people on here are so closed minded that they immediately start to chew on people about declawing, or other issues, without taking the time to learn the entire story and circumstances. I think TCS loses a lot of new members this way, and I believe a more positive approach to these issues would be a much better way of educating people.

I DID read all of the posts in this thread, and I realize I repeated a lot of what had already been said, but I wanted to get my opinion out there too!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

It also bothers me when some people on here are so closed minded that they immediately start to chew on people about declawing, or other issues, without taking the time to learn the entire story and circumstances. I think TCS loses a lot of new members this way, and I believe a more positive approach to these issues would be a much better way of educating people.
Well many people who beat their children just need educating on how to parent, but child abuse is unacceptable and I wouldn't humour someone who came on here and said they had just beaten their child for answering back. I'd tell them that what they were doing was wrong (in addition to offering advice how to deal with a situation without resorting to violence). My mind is very closed on something like declawing. It's never acceptable.

It's the old carrot or stick dilemma, isn't it? I guess I favour the stick in that scenario. Sometimes the vehemence of opposition can shock people into thinking twice about something.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you fully but sometimes a "why don't you take a look at these links to better educate yourself on this issue" will get through to more people than a "OMG you declawed your cat??? How could you do that? Your an awful person that should never touch a cat again!!!". Education is the key, not battering. Tough love is fine, but if your not educating, then are you really doing any good???

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

I agree with you fully but sometimes a "why don't you take a look at these links to better educate yourself on this issue" will get through to more people than a "OMG you declawed your cat??? How could you do that? Your an awful person that should never touch a cat again!!!". Education is the key, not battering. Tough love is fine, but if your not educating, then are you really doing any good???
Very well put.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess the difference is that I live in a country where declawing is illegal and I didn't even know what it was before I came on here so I'm still in my horrified phase where I can't believe anyone would do that to a pet they claim to love. I do always point out alternative ways of stopping a cat scratching btw and I have never posted that someone is an awful person. It's just that I also want to point out that although there are alternatives to declawing, that isn't the only reason for not doing it - there's also an ethical reason for not doing it. I find it very difficult to sit back and stay calm when I see someone showing such a lack of respect for a cat. They're such beautiful animals who rely on us to do right by them and I find it heartbreaking to hear of people ripping their claws out to save their sofa. But I don't mean to turn this thread into a debate on declawing. I just wanted to point out there are sometimes reasons why I think it's worth posting even though there may be 15 previous posts saying the same thing - it pushes the message home.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that and totally feel the same way in most cases. The trouble is, what it really boils down to is if the OP really wants to educate themselves and look at all sides to an issue or not. Sometimes you can scream until your face turns blue and never do any good. Sometimes people say "oh really? I never realized..." and do their research and make informed decisions. We all have our different ways of going about these things, and no matter what, the thing that really counts, is when we DO make a difference.

I never meant to say that you said those things yourself, but I have seen posts by other memebers simular to these, and posting things like that IMO, only turns people away and really accomplishes nothing.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually read all of them, but sometimes i skim and then respond. Depends on how much time i have. But i usually want to see what everyone has said, because they might make a statement that i hadn't thought about, or there may be something i want to add to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it very difficult to accept when people let their cats out (in standard situations, I am aware of certain exceptions). But I've realized that I can yell til I'm blue in the face and people are going to do it anyway, especially in other countries. Also, people who come here are looking for education, which means we have an interested, open audience, which is better than someone who has their mind totally made up... I agree that declawing is preposterous but we have to undo the damage caused by ignorance, vets who tout declawing, and tradition. I used to feel the same way as you, but then I realized that many people perceive the moral agenda about declawing (or any other issue) to be sort of snotty and don't listen to you anymore. Most people will realize how wrong it is if you explain both what the procedure is and also the possible complications, immediate and long-term. If someone realizes declawing is an amputation of their toes at the first knuckle, sometimes causes behavioral problems, and can ruin a cat's posture putting undue stress on their bones, then the majority of people will understand that it is morally wrong. But morals are something best left to others' own conclusions.

ETA:
JINX! Maddensmom. I owe you a Coke.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read all the posts, but while i'm typing away, someone will have launched their post & it often repeats what I've said.... guess it's the race of the ISPs ....and they're off - and it's Broadband in the lead, with a close follow-up by Verizon DSL...and AOL is shown the whips...last place, Schatnet dial-up.... you get the pic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never considered internet speeds.... hmm! I have wireless business-class roadrunner (fastest thing I've ever seen--comes with the apartment) so maybe other people are still trying to load all the signatures and smilies while I'm off to the next page. Excellent point!

I have "Oooh, shiny!" cat syndrome too. I start typing and then get distracted and come back three hours later to my screensaver and Zissou sleeping on the keyboard (if I ever post a long string of random letters, it was the cat!).

Maddensmom, if you're ever in Columbus Ohio let me know, we'll have a coke at one of the restaurants down the street.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

It is obvious when people just post to increase their numbers, although there are very very few people who do that.
You're the second person to mention that. I'm beginning to feel a little paranoid.

ETA: Paranoid because if it's obvious, but I can't see it, am I giving the impression of doing it?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

"

I must admit, that has gone through my head quite a bit in the short time that I have been here.

I wonder why they don't consider that that might be off putting for a newbie?