Do your cat names have themes?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only have one cat now, but when we had two- our first was named Smokie when we got him, so the second one we named... Bandit!

caesar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a theme going for my cats names, just named them what came to mind at the moment.
My Son and I had seen the Newest Planet of the Apes movie the day before I found my little guy, so Caesar just popped into my mind and it seems to fit him well. After having had several registered Chihuahuas over the years and having fun with their names, I decided Caesar needed a fancy title, Caesar A Tomcat came to mind.

Last edited:

flutenotepoet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my former teachers really liked math... I bet she would enjoy knowing that there are cats named for mathematical themes!  The only two cats that I named myself were named after Bible characters - Jeremiah and Silas.  I don't know that I'd use Bible names for every cat I had though; it's just that I tend to like traditional Biblical names.  I have thought of the name Staccato for a cat though since I do like music.  Maybe if we ever get another cat we will use that one.  :)

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adore this anime/manga called "Fairy Tail" and that's where the story begins...

So, one of our main characters here, Natsu, finds an egg in the tree of a forest. He loves that egg! He thinks there is a dragon in there! He and his friend Lisanna take care of the egg like a mommy bird and a father bird (This was a flashback to when they were probably 7-10 years old.) It was so cute! So, Fairy Tail, the magic guild, can get a little fired up sometimes. They had the egg inside the guild hall, when, the egg hatched! BOOM! They were expecting but... WHAT?! IT'S A CAT?! Yes, it's a cat! A blue, talking, cat with wings! The guild went from totally angry to happy! So Lisanna said, "Wow, the guild just went from upset to happy, it's like he brings happiness to all. ^_^" and to which Natsu replied "Alright then, I'll name him Happy! :D"

As you can see my quote below VVV! But it's true. Happy never fails to make me smile. <3'

I'm guessing when I first joined, a lot of you were probably like, "What? Her cat's name is Happy? Like the emotion?" In fact when I first got Happy, I called my grandma and said "I got a cat!! His name is Happy!" And she said "Happy? Huh?" But even though you probably don't watch or read Fairy Tail, the story should kind of...Make since. And the story is confessed! Case closed. ;)

Oh and, my profile picture is Happy from Fairy Tail.

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I only have one cat but a theme is a cute idea. I named my 6 year old cat, Momo, after Aang's lemur pet from Avatar:The Last Air Bender. When I first saw Momo at the shelter I saw his big ears and puzzled look and I instantly decided that Momo was his name and he was the one to come home with me. 
That is so perfect in so many ways, I can't even. :) I love Avatar

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No themes here. Cazenova is shortened to Caz and that isn't how you spell it. Just a play on the word.
Most of mine are rehomed cats that had their names when they came here.
Caz and Lucky Charms I named. Lucky Charms is name after a cereal that is made in the states. because he reminds me of the character for it.
Cowboy because he is a cool character of a cat

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of theme names but I only have two that fit a theme (the Astor family of NY). My girlfriend picked the name Princess for the first cat we took in and it turns out her name was Ali and she had owners(there's more post about that on this site) and another tenant at the apartments knew her as Geneva so she became Princess Ali Geneva. Because of all her different identities we also started calling her Sydney after Jennifer Garners secret agent character in the TV show Alias.

Then we were given a black cat named Daisy(RIP)and I added the last name Hubbard as a tribute All My Children long running characters.

After we rescued a tiny kitten from a busy drive thru I named him Asher Astor Dash, Asher is another All My Children name and Astor is in tribute to philanthropist Brooke Astor(I followed a lot of her story).The next one I found became John Jacob Astor (i was hoping for a girl so I could name her Brooke Astor). We are also hosting a stray I named Tuxie Montague until we find him a home. I have always loved the name Montague.

rlmwvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is named Lita after the musician Lita Ford and it definitely fits her. She's a little hell-raiser and because she's ataxic, she stumbles around like she's drunk pretty much all the time. She also LOVES to sing and by sing I just mean she really loves to talk and give me attitude. I even carried her "theme" throughout her toys and bowls. She has toys themed around cherry bomb, trash can murders, and even some really indirect stuff that I still sort of associate with the punk genre like Possum Kingdom by the Toadies. It's a lot of fun because then it feels like her mark is on every toy I buy or make for her. :3

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a cute thread...glad it got revived for me to see it.
Our cats names don't have themes per se, but we did put a lot of thought into them.
Lily used to be Lila (shelter name), Lila is a pretty name, and she needed a dainty, feminine name to suit her, but I felt like Lila was "too mature" for her. Lily of the valley is one of my favorite flowers and so Lily is was. A tiny, dainty little bell...she's such a cutie pie!
Bynx, was Batman at the shelter. He's almost all black (has two small white patches on his belly and chest). He was really difficult to name because he has such a human like expression. So we thought of so many different "human" names but nothing really "fit". Then I remembered Binx from the Hocus Pocus movie where he was a black cat who is actually a cursed human. It fit his look and personality. My husband spelled it with a "Y" for whatever reason on his adoption and vet papers, so it's Bynx instead.
Chester is named as an homage to our cat Hank who passed just a few months before we adopted him. Hank's name at the shelter was Chester, but we really liked the name Hank for him more, although we really loved the name Chester and said we would use it for another cat when and if it suited the next cat we got, the moment we saw him at the shelter we both said he looked like a Chester, it really help the grieving process after losing Hank. His original name at the shelter was Atticus.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a musician so I've named my cats after musical equipment. Sabian was one of my cats names which is a cymbal brand thus, my screen name. Tama was named after Tama drums and is my picture icon. Manny that I have now is rescue and I got him at a year and a half was in foster for a year and I didn't think it would be a good idea to change it. It kind of fits him. All the cats I've raised from kittens were all named after drums, guitars, etc.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
The theme, if you can call it that, is always what seems to fit the cat. I’ve had recently, Cotton, a Japanese bobtail because she had a cotton tail. And Beju, a Siamese/ragdoll mix. It’s Japanese for beige. Now Jemima because I thought of Jemima puddle duck. Cute, cute, cute like Jemima. And then Lucca because it’s Italian and means bringer of light but also he was lucky! The people that wanted to adopt him moments (literally) after I picked him and formally adopted him, wanted him for a barn cat (common here). I always try to match names with the cat.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a Disney nut so Neko-chan was nearly Dinah(Alice's kitten from Alice in Wonderland), but my husband hated that name. Our previous cat was Figaro from Pinocchio.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. I started the theme after I brought the second one in. Their names both mean "lucky" (Felix and Fayola). If I'm to get another cat or two, I'd most definitely name them Fausta or Faustina. Even Felicity!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Greg" for being gregarious. He greets people at the door and wants to be part of the group when we have guests.

"Arnold" after Arnold Shawarzenegger for his size and imposing manner.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats are all named after pop culture/nerdy characters.

• Link is the hero in the Zelda video games.
  • Nightfury is the type of dragon Toothless is in How to Train Your Dragon. My Mom said she wouldn't call him Toothless so Nightfury would have to do.
  • Rocket's full name is Rocket the Raccoon from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies/comics. Yes, the character is a male and my cat is a female. We thought she was a boy at first and the name fit her way to well to change once we found out our error so it stayed.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It wasn't my intention, but my cats have the same names as fictional rodents. Remy I did actually name after the rat in Ratatouille, but Maisie was just a name I chose for her that happens to be the same name (although spelled differently) of a children's book character. I looked at my cat name list and I realized I have a lot of names that are fictional rodents (Templeton, Minnie, etc.). I might have to actually create a theme.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lily was named by the shelter as Lily Potter, the mother of Harry. She had five kittens at the time she was taken in, so they were all named for the Potter characters. I had just been idlily thinking the weeks before I got her that if I had a female cat, I would like to name her Lily, so I kept the name.

Mingo is named for Daniel Boone's Indian friend in the TV series. It is also the name of an Indian tribe.

They both know their own names and also the name of the other cat.

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was little when I found my first cat, and I liked the name Jackie so that’s what I called her.
All of my pets now have compound names.

Baby had such a kitten-voice I thought he was a girl. Fred or Frederick was the name of Scrooge’s nephew in a Christmas Carol so we tacked that on (hence Baby Fred) who, now that I think on it, matched his namesake very well.

And Dario Argento is named after an Italian horror Director. I was thinking I should have called him Alfred Hitchcock but I realized how the name could be misconstrued and decided it was for the best. Next one, if it’s a boy, will be Lucio Fulci after another famous Italian horror director. Or Junji Ito, a Japanese horror manga writer.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like food names for cats which is how Toffee and Fudge came about. The colouring of their fur is similar to the colour of their sweet namesakes!