Do you trim cats nails?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Has anybody tried teaching their cats not to extend their claws when kneading? If Jamie forgets, which rarely happens, just the word "claws" reminds him. We pushed him away any time he used his claws while kneading as a kitten, or stopped whatever game we were playing with him, and said "Ow, claws!". It doesn't work at the vets', though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Has anybody tried teaching their cats not to extend their claws when kneading?
We taught Sho to watch his claws when he's kneading, but if they're not trimmed regularly he'll accidentally catch us with them. Tomas has never learned despite knowing very well he should watch his claws (he loves to knead my neck). So it's just easier to make sure everyone is clipped regularly.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Our barn cats had nails cut every so often - never stopped them from hunting, killing or climbing or defending themselves.
That's because front claws are only used for gripping and don't need to be extra sharp, teeth (or sheer terror for some poor mouse) are used to kill. In fights, or bluffing, the front claws are some deterrent (though usually just the swatting action is enough in some cats) and not actually used for much aside from, again, gripping. The usually duller back claws and teeth do the damage. ...You gain a bit of insight into how cats fight when you've been attack like another cat would be.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried to teach my cats not to use their claws when kneading. I never thought of that... Anyway I don't mind the claws as long as they are trimmed, it doesn't hurt. Actually kneading is often how I know when one of them needs a trim, because if it starts to hurt when they knead me I know it's time to get out the nail clippers!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how cats use their claws and feet - but still doesn't mean you don't trim them when they get too sharp and long!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nails need to be clipped. Since Autumn is much too frisky, I take her to a groomer 5 minutes away and she does them for me, she charges me $10. When I go to the vet's, she also does them for me but normally I only go to the vet's once a year for an annual checkup so going to the groomer takes care of her nails inbetween.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Has anybody tried teaching their cats not to extend their claws when kneading? If Jamie forgets, which rarely happens, just the word "claws" reminds him. We pushed him away any time he used his claws while kneading as a kitten, or stopped whatever game we were playing with him, and said "Ow, claws!". It doesn't work at the vets', though.
Sounds like you have your solution to nail trimming. I think it's a matter of what works for each of us individually.
No one method is best for everyone.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like everyone else on here - I trim. It's an absolute necessity. My fosters run the gamut from Archie -who view it as getting attention and purrs through the whole thing - to Prowler who fights like the Devil is trying to take him. I gotta do him one or two at a time.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Sounds like you have your solution to nail trimming. I think it's a matter of what works for each of us individually.
No one method is best for everyone.
True. It never occurred to me to trim a cat's claws unless the cat had trouble attending to them herself/himself, and "too sharp" isn't an expression I'd use for them.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is an interesting discussion. I grew up with cats whose claws were never trimmed. We taught them to be gentle with their paws just like with their teeth.

It never occurred to me to try cutting a cat's claws until I adopted a retired breeding cat. She'd had her nails trimmed weekly from kittenhood. It quickly became obvious that I would have to keep that up, because she had NO idea how to manage her claws. She snagged them on things, was too rough on human skin, and it took her a long time to learn that I didn't like having her grab my hand with claws out when she wanted petting. They also didn't seem to shed properly without help.
It took several years of gradually lengthening the time between trims, but she has learned (mostly) and her claws shed normally now. She no longer needs them cut.

So my opinion is that a healthy cat only "needs" claw clipping for the owner's convenience. Whether it is convenient depends on the person. I find it much easier to do a few months of kitten training than a lifetime of clipping - JMO.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

This is an interesting discussion. I grew up with cats whose claws were never trimmed. We taught them to be gentle with their paws just like with their teeth.

It never occurred to me to try cutting a cat's claws until I adopted a retired breeding cat. She'd had her nails trimmed weekly from kittenhood. It quickly became obvious that I would have to keep that up, because she had NO idea how to manage her claws. She snagged them on things, was too rough on human skin, and it took her a long time to learn that I didn't like having her grab my hand with claws out when she wanted petting. They also didn't seem to shed properly without help.
It took several years of gradually lengthening the time between trims, but she has learned (mostly) and her claws shed normally now. She no longer needs them cut.

So my opinion is that a healthy cat only "needs" claw clipping for the owner's convenience. Whether it is convenient depends on the person. I find it much easier to do a few months of kitten training than a lifetime of clipping - JMO.
Again, no one method is better than another - each has it's merits. I have found that as I've gotten older my skin is much thinner and I get scratched, cut and bleed more quickly. I clip claws because it is best for me. Bijou is very gentle but accidents do happen so clipping makes both our lives easier.