Do you think this is right? (sad need to vent)

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure.. I know that the advice I've been given suggests keeping them on it temporarily for several months.. three or four.. long enough for the cat to forget the behavior, basically. I'm not sure what she would need, though.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope I'm not too late..

This is exactly the situation that our shelter encounted with Peanut and Sassy, luckily I had room for them both. Peanut became downright anti-social the instant the she or Sassy were taken out of the cage. I discovered somewhat accidentally that if I were to lift out both of them at once, all was well, in fact, Peanut would give me little licky kisses while I was carrying her around.

Long story short, Peanut is deaf. Even thought the two are not related, they had been together since being several weeks old, and Sassy was her ears. I strongly recommend a really thorough checkup, it's quite possible that she and her brother were in some sort of symbiotic relationship due to a disability.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if she is behaving visciously towards staff members and other animals- the most irresponsible thing you guys could do would be to adopt her out to family KNOWING her behavior is what it has become.

I would give her a few days and just see if she calms down any (seperated from everyone else of course). If no improvements have been made, i hate to say it- but having her pts might be the most humane option. She is not adoptable behaving that way- and if ya'll were to adopt her out and she were to badly injure someone- ya'll could be liable. What if she bit a small child badly? That would be really bad. I am soo sorry ya'll are faced with this decision.
The way you've described her temperment at this point makes her sound like she is not adoptable. BUT i am sending vibes that she'll come around ((vibes))

If not though, i hope ya'll are able to make the right decision about what is in the kitty's best interest. She sounds like she's just miserable right now and is scared of everyone and everything...that is no way to life.

In a little side note, she may have anxiety attacks that might be causing these issues. If your shelter is able to- ya'll might want to try giving her Prozac before considering euthanazia. I've know quite a few animals to have a great deal of success with it that were in similar situations. It's worth a shot

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Man, this was so totally a question for the cat behaviorist, Kerry. Um, I think I'd see about potentially drugging her for a short term, let her calm down some, perhaps someone can actually spend time with her that's making progress.. and she might even take to another kitty?

If the choices are drugs or euthanasia, I'm thinking drugs are a way to start. If it's an issue of cost, let me know and maybe I can help offset the cost of the drugs for her a little.
That's what I said when I posted yesterday--take her to the vet and have him give her something to sedate her, then spend a few hours petting her and talking calmly to her to gain her trust. I'm hoping she'd remember the kindness and gentleness that was shown to her once she "wakes" from the sedation...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

That's what I said when I posted yesterday--take her to the vet and have him give her something to sedate her, then spend a few hours petting her and talking calmly to her to gain her trust. I'm hoping she'd remember the kindness and gentleness that was shown to her once she "wakes" from the sedation...
I had a feral cat Tigger who was sedated at the vet when they had to draw blood. Even though he was bonded to me, he actually freaked out as the sedation wore off and tried to bite me. It made him worse rather than calm.

If you try drugs, try anti-depressants, not sedation.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand using something like Prozac or Buspar (which is what Kerry, the behaviorist) recommended for someone else's cats that were nervous... anyway..I'm not sure which would be right for her, but, the basic idea was to give it to them for several months, and then wean them slowly off of it. I'm guessing that's to alleviate the sudden drug/mood swings, but it's more of a long term than anethesia would be, (and I don't know precisely) but I'm guessing that it's a different effect from the drug. I believe Prozac is a reuptake inhibitor... I'm not sure what Buspar is.. and I don't know what other drugs are offered for cats. I think maybe the key here is figuring out what she's going through.. whether it's fear-based aggression or just plain aggression? I'm thinking it depends on what the underlying issue is as to what you'd give her..

This is something I'd like to find more out about, but unfortunately I haven't done so yet, so I'm limited in my ability to help.
I'm so sorry for that little girl, bless her heart.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help... research, anything.