Do you swear?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to, but after hearing someone else say "f" after every other word, I stopped and only use it when necessary (i.e. refreshing my page before clicking submit on the online test yesterday).

I'm also trying to adopt a soon to be nephew-in-law's choice of words "Oh Pickles!"
It just sounds funny.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I checked the first one, but in reality, Bikers swear MUCH worse than sailors do. I speak from experience knowing both.

Therefore, I swear like the leather- & patch- wearing, exhaust-breathing, Harley-riding, cat-loving tattooed biker chick that I am.
And I'm NOT ashamed to say so.
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I'm with you, Betsy. But I know we know when NOT to.
that's me! I do swear, but not in front of kids, or my parents, I know they don't appreciate it, also amongst friends.... I wouldn't just go around dropping a bomb in public.

Eileen, I'm shocked!
I can't believe a bad word pops out of your mouth! Poor George..... what's he going to think.....

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know.... I should really work on my swearing. I try to never swear infront of family but sometimes it slips. I'm thinking that I should start working on not swearing if it is getting hard for me to watch my mouth!!!! What makes a word "bad" anyway, it's just a word right?!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents always swore around me growing up, I never did because I did not want to sound or act like them.

...But bad words tend to slip out when I get hurt

But never in public, I could (and have before) be gushing blood and will not swear.

A good example is from a couple years ago. DH and I stopped at a snow cone stand, while getting out of the car I somehow 'forgot' to move my hand out of the way and slammed the door on my left pointer finger (on the knuckle to be exact). There was a long line of parents and children so clamped my mouth shut, took a deep breath and ask DH to unlock the door.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My parents always swore around me growing up, I never did because I did not want to sound or act like them.

...But bad words tend to slip out when I get hurt

But never in public, I could (and have before) be gushing blood and will not swear.

A good example is from a couple years ago. DH and I stopped at a snow cone stand, while getting out of the car I somehow 'forgot' to move my hand out of the way and slammed the door on my left pointer finger (on the knuckle to be exact). There was a long line of parents and children so clamped my mouth shut, took a deep breath and ask DH to unlock the door.
oh.ow.ow.ouch

Congratulations on your restraint. I don't know whether I would have managed that.

I don't swear up a storm, I don't pepper my speech with Fs, I do watch my language in certain company; but particularly frustrating situations, especially when driving, do elicit language I wouldn't use with my MIL present.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm extremely frustrated or angry, I will swear. Most of the time you'll hear "Son of a" out of me without the last word.

I learned my lesson a long time ago when I had my nephew with me in the store. Both parents swear like it was normal language. Well, I'm pushing my 3 yr old nephew in the shopping cart and he's saying HI to everyone. And he's getting Hi's back. One harried and frustrated man just kept walking and ignored the little HI that was thrown at him. With that, the angelic looking 3 year old said quite loudly, "F*** you buddy" I RAN out of that area of the store and warned my sister to never say that again!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am practically physically incapable of swearing, lol. I believe that there are two types of people: people who can swear effortlessly, and people who can swear, but it doesn't sound natural coming out of their mouths. I'm one of the latter. I've sworn a few times before, but only when I'm scared out of my wits (my dog racing towards a truck, for example), but otherwise, I just can't swear. Instead, I subsitute swears with words like Fudge (my old computer was dubbed MotherFudger)

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked the first one.
I do swear alot more than I should. I try not to as much because I don't want Charlie (macaw) to pick it up but its a bad habit. Luckily he has only picked one thing up and only said it once....I taught him to say duck to replace it.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I am horrible! I swear so much...It's very out of control! Hey at least I am being honest. Im sure it looks and comes of tacky but it is one of my bad habits, everyone in my family swears alot! We drop the f-bomb all the time and every other swear word. Im not saying it is acceptable but I probably swear at least 100 times a day (and that is being modest)... LOL maybe I should seek a professional about that?
Mom is a bad influence on me. We use the F bomb all the time. I wasn't cursing with DH but now that I am seeing mom more I am. I was raised in a South Philly, Italian household. I learned it from my Pop-Pop

I know how to control it around others though.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite swear word is drat.
But no matter how upset I am, in front of others, I restrict myself to nothing worse than hell and damn.

But in private, in front of the TV set... especially during the national news these past several years... yes, I am often driven to extremes.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Unless it was the Wonder Pets DVD or the Wiggles, I didn't watch it last night. It was actually listening to my son try to say the work "clock", except he pronounces it without the "L". Don't even ask him to say "fox" or "shirt", especially in a public place!
This reminds me of the story Mom tells about one of my brothers, G. When he was about 5, he would pronounce words beginning with "tr" with an "f" instead. Mom worked night shift at the hospital, so she was asleep at noon, when a repairman came to fix the new fridge--a screw had been left out of the door hinge, so the guy had to come to install the screw. Well, he was greeted at the door by a half-asleep Englishwoman, iin bathrobe, who asked him, "Oh, you must be the man who has come to screw my refrigerator!" As if THAT weren't bad enough, G saw the man's service truck outside, got excited, and kept saying, "Mommy, Mommy! Look at the man's *uck, look at the man's *uck!!!" Of course, the more she tried to hush him, the louder he got (as he thought he was saying "Truck").

Kids. Gotta love 'em...

MargeCat

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely swear.

However there have been a few times where I have been so blasted mad that I wanted to swear, but I always ask whomever I'm around if they mind if I swear
I remember the first time I asked my ex b/f if he minded if I swore, he gave me this really odd look and then burst out laughing.

Once people get to know me it doesn't come as such a shock to hear me ask their permission before saying the "sh" or "f" word.

Words that I tend to use instead of cuss words are:

freak and sometimes I add the "ing" to the end.
shoot
geez
cripes
Grrrr

I see no reason to have a potty mouth.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally no.
But if I am frustrated? Like the computer is being icky, or I am working on some little itty bitty thing that needs to be repaired? OMG I can peel the paint off the walls! Hubby counted one time when I cut loose with 27 four-letter words in a row! (I think it was some electrical thing...)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaylacat

I picked the first one.
I do swear alot more than I should. I try not to as much because I don't want Charlie (macaw) to pick it up but its a bad habit. Luckily he has only picked one thing up and only said it once....I taught him to say duck to replace it.
One of my best friend's in Junior high had a bird that swore like a sailor. To make it worse, the only name it ever picked up was her name....so repeatedly it would call "Amanda #&%$ you!" And many other things!
The poor bird's previous owners taught it the swear words!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I choose other because although I will swear on occasion, usually out of frustration more then anger, I never swear in front of other people. The main reason being my mother was very strict about foul language. My father spent several years in the armed services and developed quite a colourful vocabulary. My mother totally hated it, and although she would never say anything to him she sure made sure my brother, sisters and myself knew that it was not acceptable. It has stayed with us over the years and to this day none of us swear very often.