Do you still have your tonsils?

meldonn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had mine taken out when I was 4. My brother was having his taken out so my mom decided to go ahead and have mine taken out along with him.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were removed when I was 12...along with my adnoids (nose tonsils).
That was the best week though...all the chocolate pudding I wanted!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonsils taken out just after I turned 5. They were so swollen I couldn't eat.

Hated the entire experience. Had no idea what was going on. From the moment they put me on the gurney (to take me to surgery) to the moment they put me out I screamed and screamed some more. Kind of feel sorry for the orderly (but not as much for the orderly who took my sis to surgery to have her knee operated on. Slightly dopey from the meds, she started singing, "they're coming to take me away, ha ha he he..." This orderly was a big, tall negro guy who was looking like he wanted to be somewhere else!
)

BTW - once I could eat, I hated the hospital's runny scrambled eggs.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How funny! I thought of making this *exact* thread the other day!!

Nope-I dont have mine. I got them out when I was 12. I got strep throat AT least once a month! It was baaaaaaad!!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got mine taken out due to tonsilitis every year. 16 years of age they took them out. 2 days later, I woke up with blood all over. The scabs had fallen off. (that only happens to 1 in 100,000 people that get them taken out!)
I went into my moms room, and she freaked out and called 911, they took me to the ER, and by that time I had lost so much blood I was turning colors.
So they tried to get an IV of blood in me, but they couldnt, because my veins had collapsed. They ended up putting an IV in each of my feet.
Then I remember a WHOLE bunch of people around me, and one doctor saying "COME ON! We're losing her!" I have no idea what they were all doing.

And then I heard my mom ask a nurse if I was going to be ok, and they nurse said "I really cant tell you that right now, And you're going to need to leave the room now."
And then I only remember waking up...To find out they cauterized my throught. Which means they took a thing like a flamethrower, and burnt the whole inside of my mouth so that skin went back over the place where the tonsils had been.
The doctor was telling me it was HIS first time ever seeing that. And he thanked me that he was able to see that.

I had to have so much blood pumped back into me. Bleh..No Likey.
SOOO...
That's why I tell everyone NOT to get them out. But 1 in 100,000 is rare, but I wouldnt wish that upon my worst enemy's.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

Got mine taken out due to tonsilitis every year. 16 years of age they took them out. 2 days later, I woke up with blood all over. The scabs had fallen off. (that only happens to 1 in 100,000 people that get them taken out!)
I went into my moms room, and she freaked out and called 911, they took me to the ER, and by that time I had lost so much blood I was turning colors.
So they tried to get an IV of blood in me, but they couldnt, because my veins had collapsed. They ended up putting an IV in each of my feet.
Then I remember a WHOLE bunch of people around me, and one doctor saying "COME ON! We're losing her!" I have no idea what they were all doing.

And then I heard my mom ask a nurse if I was going to be ok, and they nurse said "I really cant tell you that right now, And you're going to need to leave the room now."
And then I only remember waking up...To find out they cauterized my throught. Which means they took a thing like a flamethrower, and burnt the whole inside of my mouth so that skin went back over the place where the tonsils had been.
The doctor was telling me it was HIS first time ever seeing that. And he thanked me that he was able to see that.

SOOO...
That's why I tell everyone NOT to get them out. But 1 in 100,000 is rare, but I wouldnt wish that upon my worst enemy's.
That happened to my cousin about 4 years ago! It was so scary!

I still have mine - after that, I was too scared to even think about getting mine out!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently I was born Tonsilitis, and I guess they had to wait until I was 2 years old to remove them. I'm grateful, because I'll never know what it's like to have them removed, since I was basically a baby when it was done.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

SOOO...
gosh..that's so scary. i didnt even know that could happen :/ when i had my adenoids out, it went fine.. i woke up with a sore throat and they let me eat all the ice cream i wanted, so i was happy

how long did it take you to recover from the throat cauterization?

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still have mine. The doctor never took them out, which is really bad because they are so large. Now, no doctor will because they say it is too dangerous....

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine out when I was 18...two years ago on July 9th. I have a horror story about me too:

I had had tonsilitis 7 times in 6 months so my doctor decided it was that time. Well when the doctor had gone in, he had removed them even though there was an infection behind them(god only knows why he didn't just wait and give me antibiotics
)Well the first day they say that is okay to throw-up blood because of all the blood going into your stomach during surgery. Well by the second day, I was still throwing up blood and I couldn't keep anything down-pain medicine, popsicles, ice, jello, NOTHING-I couldn't even talk or open my mouth. Mom decided to take me to the hospital. Then there was the whole dilemma with the ER doc not telling my parents anything because I was 18 and the whole confidentiaity rule so mom and dad were getting mad about that(I couldn't talk and couldn't stay awake because of lack of fluids)so I had to nod my head to tell the doctor it was okay for them to know what was going on.

Well even longer story short-I was in the hospital for 5 days because the infection had gotten into my blood stream. This was a court story on the news right before this happened to me and the girl it happened to died
It can be fatal if not helped. I wanted to sue this doctor. He kept saying that there was nothing wrong before I had gotten this sick after surgery. Mom said no. I couldn't eat without it hurting for 3 MONTHS! After that I just didn't care. Strep throat doesn't even bother me anymore. I will eat whatever because the pain just isn't as bad as I had it before.

I wouldn't wish that upon ANYONE!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

gosh..that's so scary. i didnt even know that could happen :/ when i had my adenoids out, it went fine.. i woke up with a sore throat and they let me eat all the ice cream i wanted, so i was happy

how long did it take you to recover from the throat cauterization?
Man..I was in the hospital for 4 days afterwards...No speaking at all for me, and alot of blood being pumped into me. Eating Jello and Ice cream. And then it took about another week for me to be able to talk again, and I was fine about 3 weeks later. So about 4 weeks total it took to get "normal" again. But I was so scared it was going to happen again. My mother freaked out anytime I asked to go anywhere because she was afriad it would happen again.
Imagine your kid comming into your room at 2 a.m. saying "I think somethings wrong" Covered in blood from the face down. And then the doctors telling you they cant tell you if your kid was OK or not.
My poor mom. I would freak out. Of course she didnt want to leave the house ever again.
That happened to my cousin about 4 years ago! It was so scary!
Yes. Scary it is. I remember the Ambulance people being all freaked out because they didnt know what to do, because it's so rare. They were putting ice packets on my througt to help stop it, but it didnt help. It actually hurt more, and they couldnt hear me tell them to stop! Ugh..
My advice..Please dont get your tonsils out after age 15. It's supposedly much worse the older you get. But I wont let anyone take anyone's tonsils out I know because of all this.