Do you smoke?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I think it is interesting that people who are so against smokers/smoking and call smokers names will gladly drink themselves silly. Booze is addictive, smells bad, KILLS people every day, kills brain cells permanently yet those who hate smokers drink with with a clear conscience.

I just don't get the inconsistency here. Both are legal, both stink, both kill but alchohol is somehow more acceptable. Is it the media? News reports?

I don't want to turn this into an IMO thing on this thread. After reading the responses so far, I think it is sad that smokers are hiding their heads in shame while non-smokers feel it is okay to bash them.

Until those who bash others are themselves some version of heavenly perfection, I believe they should rethink bashing. Thanks!
Thank You Bonnie. I know both are filthy habits, and I am a smoker. However, I do agree that booze is just as bad, if not worse, and sadly it's accepted, and no one thinks any less of you, if you do drink. I however would much rather live with someone who smokes than someone who drinks. I absolutely HATE being around anyone who drinks.

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my older sister and I were adopted when we were 4 and 6, the parents who adopted us never smoked and neither did we growing up but after I was about 20 I started, my sister started sometime after that, we met our real parents and they do smoke, I have tried to quit cold turkey once, I ran out at night and thought I would try it, I made it through the night then got up the next morning and got my girls ready for school, then after they left I sat down and my heart rate dropped down to almost nothing, I don't know if that was a result of not having the nicotine my body wanted or what but I am to scared to try cold turkey again.

kittylovejoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never smoked at all or tried it. Most of the people I grew up with smoked but always said it was something to stay away from and I did.
I have nothing against smokers, but I wish they wouldn't do it infront of non smokers, it really makes me feel sick and bad and lots of others I'm sure!
Smoking is a choice, but I've been asking friends nicely for years to not smoke directly infront of me and they still carry on with it, which is just disrespectful really.

I'll be glad when the smoking ban for public places comes into place on
July 1st!
It's a great idea as long as they keep on enforcing it as it means smokers can smoke and they won't be irritating non smokers half as much!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't smoke and a good thing too because I have a tendency to get very bad colds and respiratory infections.

I used to be a very militant anti-smoker (all the anti-smoking propaganda I heard when I was a kid really worked) so much so that when I was around 8 years old and heard that my dad used to smoke at one point I got so angry at that "betrayal" that I punched him.

My home is completely smoke free though and even when I have parties any smokers need to smoke outside. Also where I live all places where people work have to be smoke free (this includes clubs, bars and pubs) and I think that's just fantastic.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

If you can't quit on your own, try some help. There are patches and gum out there to help you or even certain phone numbers. I bet you could quit if you had a little help. Good luck.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but after watching one of my good friends try to quit and hearing what some of her friends said to her... this can come off as insensitive. What people who are trying to quit hear when you say this is "You're not trying hard enough". I know it isn't what you mean but this might be one of those cases where only people who've gone through it can give advice, I mean, imagine the worse PMS times a thousand and then throw some headaches in there too, and that is what its like. Those quit lines do drastically increase your chances, you're right.

Originally Posted by LaRussa

Hi, I don't feel I'm bashing anyone here, only stating my feelings. The one thing that differs between smoking and drinking is that second hand smoke kills, if your around a drunk you can't die from being near him. A drunk only kills himself, I..by the way do not drink at all. Did when I was a lot younger, now I feel there is no reason for it especially since I'm dieting, lol.
Drunks do considerably more damage than smoking when they're behind the wheel, when they decide to get into a fight, when they fall and hit their head... homeless alcoholics cost your average city millions. Second-hand smoke is mainly a concern of people who live with smokers or spend a large portion of their time in places that allow heavy smoking. IMO alcohol does considerably more damage, and in many ways you can get away from smoke if you want with the exception of children. Smoking doesn't change your personality or make you unable to control yourself. I've never woken up after smoking a cigarette and realized I'd done/said something incredibly stupid the night before. I've never been hit because somebody had a few too many cigarettes. My mom's friend did not die in a car accident because the other person had too much nicotine.

The reality of it is that people do stupid things to themselves, some of which are damaging to themselves and others. But we aren't banning alcohol or unprotected sex. Why cigarettes? Alcohol causes cancer too.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Drunks do considerably more damage than smoking when they're behind the wheel, when they decide to get into a fight, when they fall and hit their head... homeless alcoholics cost your average city millions. Second-hand smoke is mainly a concern of people who live with smokers or spend a large portion of their time in places that allow heavy smoking. IMO alcohol does considerably more damage, and in many ways you can get away from smoke if you want with the exception of children. Smoking doesn't change your personality or make you unable to control yourself. I've never woken up after smoking a cigarette and realized I'd done/said something incredibly stupid the night before. I've never been hit because somebody had a few too many cigarettes. My mom's friend did not die in a car accident because the other person had too much nicotine.
A person drinking responsibly does not cause me problems. There is no way I can be around any smoker and not feel the irritation of my lungs. Smoking is more subtle in its damage and it is invades others space no matter what the intention of the smoker.

And I do know the pain of losing someone close from another person driving and drinking irresponsibly.