Do you smoke?

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I smoked heavily for 20 years, but have been smoke-free for over a year now (since March 2006). DH still smokes. *eyeroll*

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never have, never will. I can't stand being around cigarette smoke, it burns my eyes and makes me cough.

I hate when people are driving and blowing smoke out the windows, which comes into my car. If you don't want it in your car what makes you think I want it in mine?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've never taken a single puff in my life. Always found it revolting, even before I understood the health issues.

It was Bob Newhart who saved me from smoking, actually -- we had some of his comedy records when I was a kid, and one of his routines was a one-sided phone call from Sir Walter Raleigh back to England, telling them about this quaint custom of the natives he had encountered here in America. Bob played the marketing expert who received the call (you don't hear Sir Walter Raleigh's part), and it went something like this, best I can remember:

Walt, baby, how are things in the colonies?

Great, great... so I hear you have this new product you wanna try out back here, tell me about that.

Uh... leaves? Did you say leaves, Walt?

Leaves. Uh, Walt... y'know... come fall in England here, the trees... we really have plenty of...

Oh, that's not all. Okay. I'm listening, Walt.

They dry the leaves, yeah, okay.

And they roll them up in paper, yeah... yeah, I'm with you, Walt. They roll 'em up and...

And they stick 'em in their mouth...

And they -- ha! They set fire to 'em, Walt, is that what you said?

Oh gosh, Walt, I gotta tell ya... this doesn't sound... nobody in his right mind... I mean, no offense, Walt, but... don't call us, we'll call you, okay babe?

I loved that routine! And after hearing that, how could I even think of doing something so clearly ridiculous?
I seem to recall reading that Raleigh's servant saw him smoking and used a bucket of water to douse him. Thought he was on fire.

We recently had an apartment fire in the city near me. Smoker, on oxygen for lung problems, ignited her oxygen tank and severely burned herself and her granddaughter.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never smoked, but I was exposed to copious amounts of secondhand smoke growing up (both parents smoked.) I've always been quite sickly as far as respiratory health is concerned....I have asthma, and frequently get bronchitis and/or pneumonia. I'm sure it's because of the secondhand smoke. I feel sorry for people who want to quit, because I've seen how difficult it was for my father after he had his heart attack. My mom just decided one day to quit, and that was it. Stupid me, I married a smoker! Any more, the slightest whiff of cigarette smoke will trigger an asthma attack, so I pretty much avoid bars and restaurants. I can't even walk by someone smoking outside without it making me wheeze and need my inhaler.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't smoke. I never have, not even one puff. I think smoking is one of the stupidest things you can do. It's aweful for your health.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a topic I never thought I'd see here!

I smoked for 15 years from '88 to '03. Quit cold turkey! Started up again when I worked at a summer camp last summer, telling myself that I'll quit at the end of the summer. (end of August) Didn't quit until November. Just started up again in anticipation of working at the camp again. A majority of the workers smoke there. I don't know if I'll smoke all summer as I'll be getting in shape as I'm living on the camp this year.

It's a B*TCH to stop, ain't it???

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont smoke, it actually scratches my throat, my mother always told me not to start because its expensive and not worth it. I do light up a cigarette when im extremely drunk but i dont enjoy it like i smoke the water pipe (shisha) that stuff is great to smoke, but it smells so awful the next day!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been smoking, since I was 12. To date, I've tried cold turkey, the patch, nicotine gum and Zyban. I even had an appointment with a hypnotist. I've managed to last a day or two but, always went back to it. The hypnotist wasn't able to put me under so that was a wasted $150.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Been smoking, since I was 12. To date, I've tried cold turkey, the patch, nicotine gum and Zyban. I even had an appointment with a hypnotist. I've managed to last a day or two but, always went back to it. The hypnotist wasn't able to put me under so that was a wasted $150.
From what I remember, if they can't put you under, you don't pay? I would think if the service can't be performed, you shouldn't pay. I wouldn't...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started smoking at a very early age, at least for me, I was about 13 yrs. old. I smoked about 2 packs a day when I finally quite in 1990. Now I'm your typical non smoker, I can't stand to be anywhere near smoke or smokers, they really stink to me now. You don't realize how much you smell like a full ashtray till you finally quit. Thank God the law has stopped smoking in most public places, I for one appreciate that.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't quit on your own, try some help. There are patches and gum out there to help you or even certain phone numbers. I bet you could quit if you had a little help. Good luck.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don't feel I'm bashing anyone here, only stating my feelings. The one thing that differs between smoking and drinking is that second hand smoke kills, if your around a drunk you can't die from being near him. A drunk only kills himself, I..by the way do not drink at all. Did when I was a lot younger, now I feel there is no reason for it especially since I'm dieting, lol.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have smelled smoke when I am behind a car at a red light when the people are smoking, you just can't miss that smell or get away from it. Unfortunately people who smoke carry the smell with them as well, when they pass you buy they just stink so bad as do heavy drinkers, they stink too. You certainly don't smell clean or smell like the cologne or after shave you put on earlier in the day, all you smell is the crap your putting into your body and that's a shame.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You hit this nail right on the head, the only thing we can catch from anybody is second hand smoke, you don't catch anything sitting beside a drug addict or drunk but druggies are against the law, cigerettes should be against the law also, I would be the first one to vote for that. Oh yeah we can catch colds from others but normally a cold is not a death threat.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I smoked Marlboro red kings for 24 years, quit 3 1/2 years ago. Second best thing I ever did for myself. (First was getting the Harley.
)

I miss it sometimes, but I don't miss being sick so much, I don't miss the coughing and I sure as all heck don't miss being such a slave to the coffin nails or the money I used to spend on them.

I did not turn into "one of those" former non-smokers that judge smokers harshly, however, I can't have anyone smoke in my car or my house, because it makes me WANT ONE.

And I abjectly REFUSE to EVER pick up a cigarette again. Until, maybe, they tell me I've got only a couple of hours to live, then PASS ONE OVER and GIVE ME A LIGHT!
Wow, your story sounds exactly like mine...except that I quit 9 years ago, and bought a Yamaha (I can't afford a real motorcycle
)

...and yes, I could light one up right now, but I refuse to. The way I look at it, I never quit...I just keep putting it off

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have quit before but right now I don't want to quit. It helps me calm down when I am anxious and if I couldn't smoke cigarettes when I leave I don't think I would make it without freaking out (agoraphobia and socail anxiety disorder). I can understand people not wanting to be around it and respect that but if I am smoking in my car with the windows up thats my business. I don't throw ashes out the window or cigarette butts.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
all this talk about smoking is making me want a cigarette!
just kidding, but man oh man would I love to start up again
as weird as that sounds to most of you, its the truth, I really liked smoking
and I'm not ashamed of it, nor will I offer excuses, I honestly liked smoking! oh well, life goes on