Do you remember your childhood?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

A narrative of some of the most vivid things: the marketplace in Italy, a Gyspy caravan, the poison ivy behind my swingset that I was terrified of.
Such interesting early childhood memories

My most vivid, earliest memory is my cat Smudge accidentally walking on snail poison & dying
I remember grabbing the cold,limp body & my big brothers taking it away from me, and then the burial, near the clothes line, & me sobbing, clinging to the clothesline pole. My brothers put up a cross at the gravesite & I used to decorate that cross for months & months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

...People who don't remember much of it are still affected by it and have destructive patterns in life, they just don't see it or know where it comes from.
Please be careful about making broad sweeping generalizations like this.

The vast majority of adults who were abused as children do know they were abused even if they cannot recall all the details. In fact, most of the memories are about the abuse and little else, and many of us have been able to stop the cycle of abuse.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Please be careful about making broad sweeping generalizations like this.

The vast majority of adults who were abused as children do know they were abused even if they cannot recall all the details. In fact, most of the memories are about the abuse and little else, and many of us have been able to stop the cycle of abuse.
I agree Dh grew up with a verbally abusieve neglectful father. He does everything to make sure he is the best father. he doesn't want to repeat the cycle

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can remember most of my childhood from about age 3. I'm 18 now so everything is still fresh in my mind - some good and some bad. My Mum was 16 when she had me so my childhood was tough with a lot of moving around - I've lived in 11 houses so far.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I only remember bits and pieces, but I had a pretty crappy childhood though. I think I blocked a lot of it out. My sister remembers a lot more than I do.
Same here...bits and pieces and the bits I do remember are mostly not so good. Not terrible and there were some good memories...but I wouldn't say it was an awesome childhood.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

Maybe having a good memory of it has allowed me to process it, deal with it and get past it. People who don't remember much of it are still affected by it and have destructive patterns in life, they just don't see it or know where it comes from.
That's a bit presumptuous.
We didn't all have the same experiences; we don't all have the same personality, and we cope in different ways.